ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-08-2020, 12:41 AM   #4276
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on

Default Re: Softball

Is Giselle hurt? I can see if they want to give the freshmen a look, but I don’t think she has pitched at all in the fall or spring. Shannon is pitching with a painful toe, Snow hurt her ankle in the first game and Mendes is out for at least a couple of more weeks. We are really banged up, but the freshmen have really stepped up so far.
OUALUMinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #4277
womenssports
Starter

One of these last two games, do not know if it was BYU or GWU, I thought it showed her pitching two innings. Maybe the final two of the game and Shannon the other.

And Brooke Vestal pitched some. Is she the red-shirt freshman that was highly recruited?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #4278
bob the nailer
Walk-on

She did pitch the last two innings against BYU, gave up one run no hits. Also see that Talon Snow not playing apparently hurt her ankle earlier. Hope thats not too serious. Scary play last night when Riley Boone made a diving catch and fell into the cf wall but apparently ok
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #4279
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
One of these last two games, do not know if it was BYU or GWU, I thought it showed her pitching two innings. Maybe the final two of the game and Shannon the other.

And Brooke Vestal pitched some. Is she the red-shirt freshman that was highly recruited?
Yep, and she's the same RS freshman who everyone on robocoach (except for a few of us OU fans) guaranteed was going to transfer and would never play a game for the Crimson and Cream.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #4280
skyvue
Final Four

Soonersports.com lists a dozen or so games in February that will be available through FloSoftball.com. After that, every game has only a Listen option. Obviously some of those games will be streamed or televised, but does anyone know how often SoonersSports.tv televises softball games? I'm trying to decide whether to put my membership on pause for a while (and buy a month's membership on FloSoftball instead).
Old 02-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #4281
TheMont
Role Player

Hi skyvue,

OU just announced all television assignments for softball games: https://soonersports.com/news/2020/2...-tv-slate.aspx

It looks like a handful of games will only be available on ss.tv
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 PM   #4282
skyvue
Final Four

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #4283
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on

The video is FREE if you want to see the OU-Arizona game right now.

https://pac-12.com/live/university-arizona-2
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #4284
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on

If you didn’t watch this game you missed a good one. OU won 6-4 in 10 innings and these freshmen are a scrappy bunch.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 AM   #4285
bob the nailer
Walk-on

And if you did watch it you missed a lot of the action, the main feed for the game was from the cf camera behind the pitcher, if the ball was hit, by the time they changed to the behind the plate view the play was over. And an attempt to watch the game and listen to the radio was unsuccessful because the radio was about 5 seconds ahead of tv.
Gritty win against zona especially coming on the heels of a major pitching meltdown in the 7th against LBS coughing up a 3 run lead in the bottom of the 7th. Grace Lyons was credited with a error on what could have ended the play but it was a tough play on a hard hit ball, if that play happens in Norman it's scored a base hit.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #4286
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUALUMinTX View Post
If you didn’t watch this game you missed a good one. OU won 6-4 in 10 innings and these freshmen are a scrappy bunch.
Absolutely! I think this club is a better softball team today than they were yesterday. Getting the start for Patty and delivering 4.2 innings against what is the best power team in the country and maybe the best hitting team was a confidence builder for Macy McAdoo. Ditto for by 4.2 innings of relief from freshman Oliva Rains. Then freshman Raylee Pogue coming in with the big double in the 7th.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #4287
bob the nailer
Walk-on

Very impressed with mcadoo and raines. Shannon Saille pitched well against AZ but she couldn't get it done against LBS
Chris Plank said something about how long Boone was going to be out but I missed most of it. Anyone hear that? He said no surgery but I missed it if he said when she might be back
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #4288
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on

Plank was very vague about Boone’s injury except to say that it would be awhile before she returned and Patty had said it wasn’t season ending. Hopefully we get her back before Big 12 play. Right now we really only have Pogue and Koeltzow off the bench. Watching that awful Arizona feed made me really appreciate SoonerSportstv.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #4289
bob the nailer
Walk-on

So where are we after the first 3 weekends?
With the same number of regular season losses we had all of last year
With a bad loss today- not sure whether it was Patty or Jen that made the dubious decision to let Saille struggle her way out of a 4 run inning, featuring 4 walks, a hit by pitch on an 0-2 count with the bases loaded, and two bad throws by our captain catcher on delayed steals with runner on third, producing two runs and no outs.
Yes we have injuries and lots of youngsters. So hopefully it gets better. Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #4290
scrybe
All-American

As fans of the most dominant program of the last decade, we've become spoiled. Let's try to remain supportive of the program that's given us four WCWS titles since 2000. Patty and her players will correct the current deficiencies. I'd bet on it.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #4291
gwydion
Walk-on

It's all about how you're playing at the end of the year. I have no problem letting the younger members get experience so they will be ready come May.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #4292
BlackwellSooner
Starter

I'm with Bob on the poor coaching decision to not relieve Shannon earlier in the 2nd inning before we got down 4 runs. It was very obvious that Saile was struggling with her control, and not like we didn't have good relievers ready to go. Regardless if it was Patty's decision or Jen's, it was a bad decision. It's kind of shocking when our coaches contribute to a loss, but that's what happened, IMO.

Gotta put it behind us and move on, though.
BlackwellSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #4293
bob the nailer
Walk-on

It isn't all about how you play at the end. It's about having a good enough record to get a top eight seed. Your chances of advancing as the away team in a super regional are much less, the sooners win at Auburn not withstanding. The ideal mix when playing in these tournaments is get the youngsters some game experience but don't lose games to teams you shouldn't. We have now lost two games we shouldn't have, the brighter side being we likely won one(Arizona) that maybe we shouldn't have.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #4294
j2d2
All-American

When the last few years we havent done as well as we might, it has been the hitting - not the defense or coaching that has let us down. We have too many freshmen to get flummoxed at hitting just yet.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #4295
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
When the last few years we havent done as well as we might, it has been the hitting - not the defense or coaching that has let us down. We have too many freshmen to get flummoxed at hitting just yet.
Couldn't the same be said for the defense and pitching?
Old 02-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #4296
j2d2
All-American

except that the hitting problem occurred later in the season when you might reasonably expect the upper classmen would be near their best with both hitting defense and pitching. Freshmen might be expected to struggle at times. I dont know why Saile had such an off day unless her toe was hurting but then why pitch her?
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #4297
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
except that the hitting problem occurred later in the season when you might reasonably expect the upper classmen would be near their best with both hitting defense and pitching. Freshmen might be expected to struggle at times. I dont know why Saile had such an off day unless her toe was hurting but then why pitch her?

Personally I attribute most of the late season hitting issues as an outgrowth of suddenly facing the better pitching from the Pac 12 and SEC in the post season as opposed to that of the pitching of the Big 12. Pac 12 schools and SEC have been looking at that quality of pitching for two months prior to the post season. For the Big 12 teams it is surprise the pitching just got better.

Likewise the pitching is generally not as good as it has been when they are facing batters of the very best hitting teams in the country. It is as though the fans of all schools not just OU forget that the WCWS is the best of the best and in most instances the players performances are not going to be to their earlier production levels. And it is those few players that do step up that determines who wins the natty.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-28-2020 at 07:22 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #4298
OUALUMinTX
Walk-on

Kudos to Alo and Donihoo today who had to switch positions again since Snow is banged up. Donihoo is even trying to bat from the left side to utilize her speed like Arnold did.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:41 AM   #4299
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUALUMinTX View Post
Kudos to Alo and Donihoo today who had to switch positions again since Snow is banged up. Donihoo is even trying to bat from the left side to utilize her speed like Arnold did.
I hope from my perspective that Donihoo is more successful than was Arnold trying to be a leftie slap hitter.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #4300
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I hope from my perspective that Donihoo is more successful than was Arnold trying to be a leftie slap hitter.
Well, so far, so good, wouldn't you say?