ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
OUFireman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Default Wayman and Booker T

This may have been discussed previously but if so I missed it. Given Waymanís almost god like stature at the University of Oklahoma why did OU never develop a pipeline to Booker T. Washingtonís basketball talent. Actually if you look at it ,OU doesnít get any of their big time athletic talent in any sports. Wonder why that is? If something has happened to damage the relationship with their athletic program it should be a priority to repair it.
OUFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
steverocks35
All-American
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: muskogee, ok
Posts: 3,380
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

The last guy I remember from there was Ryan Humphrey and we all know how that turned out. But I doubt if it has anything to do with the relationship with the high school and just more to do with the personal preference of the athletes (but I don't have any special inside knowledge, just speculation).
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,828
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUFireman View Post
This may have been discussed previously but if so I missed it. Given Waymanís almost god like stature at the University of Oklahoma why did OU never develop a pipeline to Booker T. Washingtonís basketball talent. Actually if you look at it ,OU doesnít get any of their big time athletic talent in any sports. Wonder why that is? If something has happened to damage the relationship with their athletic program it should be a priority to repair it.
Booker T has always had a feel of being an OSU school since I was in HS in Tulsa. I mean, in general, Tulsa is more of a pro-OSU city.

OU has landed a few good athletes from there. Much like Jenks and Union, for whatever reason, Booker T hasn't been turning out the high caliber athletes like it once did. I'm blanking on the actual names, but it seems like OU landed a few guys from there in football back in Bob's early years.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,841
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Booker T has always had a feel of being an OSU school since I was in HS in Tulsa. I mean, in general, Tulsa is more of a pro-OSU city.

OU has landed a few good athletes from there. Much like Jenks and Union, for whatever reason, Booker T hasn't been turning out the high caliber athletes like it once did. I'm blanking on the actual names, but it seems like OU landed a few guys from there in football back in Bob's early years.
tulsa is a much more Pro OU city than osu and it is not really close

hell like 85% of the state are OU fans
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,828
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
tulsa is a much more Pro OU city than osu and it is not really close
That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read.

Just silly.

We're talking about Tulsa. Not the suburbs. Not OKC. Not Western Oklahoma. Tulsa. It's VERY Pro-OSU.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,841
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read.

Just silly.

We're talking about Tulsa. Not the suburbs. Not OKC. Not Western Oklahoma. Tulsa. It's VERY Pro-OSU.
no its not
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Who are the BTW bball players that you want that pipeline to consist of?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
opsooner
Final Four
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,841
Default

William Tisdale was the original key recruit out of BTW. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #9
OUFireman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Who are the BTW bball players that you want that pipeline to consist of?
Good point Coach, the list isnít long. I think itís just frustrating having two of the top recruits, one in football one in basketball from BTW not really even consider OU.
OUFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,828
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUFireman View Post
Good point Coach, the list isnít long. I think itís just frustrating having two of the top recruits, one in football one in basketball from BTW not really even consider OU.
I wouldn't say Bryce didn't consider OU.

As for Dax, his family was an OSU family, even before his brother went there. They were a bit salty OU didn't offer the brother. Booker T is a school that has more OSU ties historically than OU. That was going to be a tough get for OU from the start.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,828
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

And we are getting Phipps from BTW, for what that is worth.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,063
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
no its not

The % of the city of Tulsa which sides with OSU is greater than that of OKC. A friend of mine who owns a local Tulsa business, which sells sports related items, unloads just as much OSU logo items as OU.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,321
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUFireman View Post
Good point Coach, the list isn’t long. I think it’s just frustrating having two of the top recruits, one in football one in basketball from BTW not really even consider OU.
I get that. But as WT pointed out.

Bryce did consider and Dax. Parents hated OU. More factors involved.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 718
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
no its not
Iíve lived and worked here (Tulsa) my whole life! I can assure you, in the business world...Tulsa has way more OSU folks than OU....by far!!!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,159
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
Iíve lived and worked here (Tulsa) my whole life! I can assure you, in the business world...Tulsa has way more OSU folks than OU....by far!!!
In the professional world Tulsa is much more pro-OSU also.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #16
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,657
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

I think OU made some smaller schools mad a while back..That was what I use to hear back in the 90's..This was in eastern Ok..OU coaches didn't want to even give a look at some athletes...HS coaches don't forget to easy
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #17
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I think OU made some smaller schools mad a while back..That was what I use to hear back in the 90's..This was in eastern Ok..OU coaches didn't want to even give a look at some athletes...HS coaches don't forget to easy
Most of those coaches arenít around. What athletes from eastern Oklahoma did OU miss on, not Tulsa, that OU really wanted?

Iím going to rub some of you the wrong way but Oklahoma doesnít have a ton of high level talent year after year.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #18
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,828
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Iím going to rub some of you the wrong way but Oklahoma doesnít have a ton of high level talent year after year.
That shouldn't shock many folks. But it's a big reason why our football team struggles to recruit with the elite of the elite. There is a pretty large bubble spreading outwards around Norman that just doesn't have much talent in it.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #19
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,063
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Most of those coaches arenít around. What athletes from eastern Oklahoma did OU miss on, not Tulsa, that OU really wanted?

Iím going to rub some of you the wrong way but Oklahoma doesnít have a ton of high level talent year after year.
A backcourt of Trae and Bryce would be special.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
A backcourt of Trae and Bryce would be special.
Yeah but they wouldnít have played together. Generally there is only 1-2 players per year that could play for OU.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #21
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,063
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Yeah but they wouldnít have played together. Generally there is only 1-2 players per year that could play for OU.
Is that because of "one and done" or something else?
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #22
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Is that because of "one and done" or something else?
1 and done.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
Dave4OU
Walk-on
 
Dave4OU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 399
Default Re: Wayman and Booker T

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
That is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read.

Just silly.

We're talking about Tulsa. Not the suburbs. Not OKC. Not Western Oklahoma. Tulsa. It's VERY Pro-OSU.

Yes living and working in Tulsa there are ton more Poke fans than OU fans
Dave4OU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com