ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,153
Default Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

And is shooting 26.8% from 3 this year at OU. That is pretty unbelievable. Obviously his PPG has gone up significantly from that year, but he is also taking more shots than anyone else on the team (including Doolittle).

10 points against Marquette.... 0-1
2 points against Notre Dame..... 0.1
5 points against Baylor.... 1-1
5 points against Oklahoma State.... 1-2
5 points against Oklahoma... 2-5
5 points against Houston.... 1-2
10 points against Houston.... 0-0
2 points against Houston... 0-1
0 points against Cincy... 0-5
12 points against Cincy... 2-5
0 points against Marshall... 0-3

5.0 ppg and 26% 3pt shooting against high majors, ranked opponents, or in the NCAA Tournament in his sophomore year at Wichita State.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Fran made a good point during the Tech/WVU game. He said since the 3pt line moved farther out, the good shooters can still make them. But the average/mediocre shooters are struggling. He said scoring across the country is down.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #3
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Fran made a good point during the Tech/WVU game. He said since the 3pt line moved farther out, the good shooters can still make them. But the average/mediocre shooters are struggling. He said scoring across the country is down.
While true, the bigger issue for Reaves (IMO) is shot selection. He took wide open shots at WSU because that was his role as an underclassman playing for a control freak and on a team with tons of veterans. Here, he is playing a different role and has not done a good job of playing under control.

Also, your point is something that was debated when they announced the rule change. A lot of people incorrectly thought moving the line back would hurt the mid majors who make their living behind the line, while somehow helping P5 teams who don't have as many good shooters. I never understood how people didn't see that it really was the opposite...the move benefits better shooting teams. You and Fran we are 100 percent correct.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,153
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Fran made a good point during the Tech/WVU game. He said since the 3pt line moved farther out, the good shooters can still make them. But the average/mediocre shooters are struggling. He said scoring across the country is down.
Good point... but how do you apply it to Reaves? He was billed as some kind of a sharp-shooter... Are we saying he is average/mediocre? Is 26% average?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Good point... but how do you apply it to Reaves? He was billed as some kind of a sharp-shooter... Are we saying he is average/mediocre? Is 26% average?
Yeah I think he has yet to prove he's a good 3pt shooter. 26% is pretty mediocre. And yes his shot selection is probably the #1 reason he's missing shots. He's tried to force himself into something he isn't. It's amazing the difference even one dribble makes when lining up for a 3pt shot. Manek can't do it and neither can Reaves.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #6
steverocks35
All-American
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: muskogee, ok
Posts: 3,010
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

If only there were some sort of “head coach” that could rein him in. Oh well..
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,153
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
If only there were some sort of “head coach” that could rein him in. Oh well..
I really don't think you can... the team has 3 offensive options. Manek, Doo, and Reaves. I think he pretty much has to do too much for his ability because the roster requires it.

You can certainly blame Lon for that. He is in charge of the roster.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I really don't think you can... the team has 3 offensive options. Manek, Doo, and Reaves. I think he pretty much has to do too much for his ability because the roster requires it.

You can certainly blame Lon for that. He is in charge of the roster.
You don't tell him to stop shooting. You tell him to take shots he can make. And that's probably just wide open catch and shoot 3's. Right now he's doing too much 1on1 dribbling trying to get himself open and he's just not athletic enough to do that.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
steverocks35
All-American
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: muskogee, ok
Posts: 3,010
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
You don't tell him to stop shooting. You tell him to take shots he can make. And that's probably just wide open catch and shoot 3's. Right now he's doing too much 1on1 dribbling trying to get himself open and he's just not athletic enough to do that.
It’s funny when he gets in that mode, you can tell he’s not looking at anyone else and he’s going to shoot the ball no matter what. It’s terrible basketball.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
sanguinetti
Role Player
 
sanguinetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 656
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Here, he is playing a different role and has not done a good job of playing under control.
tend to agree, based on what i've seen. playing for Lon may give him more freedom with the ball and in the open floor than Marshall but he needs to play within himself handling the ball, get his feet set and square up when he shoots. more athleticism from weight and speed training left aside and a more "liberal" Kruger offensive philosophy....that's his game.

he's not mookie or have the larry bird set of off-balance, leaner j's after contact or on the break.

that said, i think he will contribute. and we need him.
sanguinetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,796
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Dude took 7 shots in the previous game.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Yeah I think he has yet to prove he's a good 3pt shooter. 26% is pretty mediocre. And yes his shot selection is probably the #1 reason he's missing shots. He's tried to force himself into something he isn't. It's amazing the difference even one dribble makes when lining up for a 3pt shot. Manek can't do it and neither can Reaves.
This makes no sense to me. So shots only count if they are against "high majors?" By this logic, shots made against WSU don't count. Or, you know, Gonzaga, the current number 1 team in America, plus several other ranked teams in any given week. No, WSU didn't play as tough a schedule as what Reaves is playing at OU, but it isn't like they played high school teams. And even if he got more open looks against the weaker teams on their schedule (which is likely), he still made a very high percentage, which does, in fact, show that he is a good shooter when open. There are tons of college guards who can't even make that claim. Look, his shooting has been a huge disappointment. But those of us who saw him at WSU told everyone coming into the year that it would be absolutely wrong to pigeon hole him as a sniper. He needs to shoot better -- that will be a huge key to the rest of the season. But to suggest that it is because of the schedule is just wrong. He has shot poorly this year even against the weaker teams on our schedule.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
steverocks35
All-American
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: muskogee, ok
Posts: 3,010
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

It’s about quality, not quantity. I think one of our problems is that our ball movement isn’t good so we don’t swing the ball and move the defense and get guys open looks.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #14
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,781
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

As a Wheatshocker, he was #4 or #5 on the scout sheet. As a Sooner, he's on a team where you only have to worry about three dudes on offense. Doolittle is 1, so Reaves and Manek are 2-a and 2-b.

His shot selection thus far leaves MUCH to be desired. I bet it'll improve. I HOPE it'll improve.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,218
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

He’s not getting the spot-up looks he probably got at WSU
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,788
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
This makes no sense to me. So shots only count if they are against "high majors?" By this logic, shots made against WSU don't count. Or, you know, Gonzaga, the current number 1 team in America, plus several other ranked teams in any given week. No, WSU didn't play as tough a schedule as what Reaves is playing at OU, but it isn't like they played high school teams. And even if he got more open looks against the weaker teams on their schedule (which is likely), he still made a very high percentage, which does, in fact, show that he is a good shooter when open. There are tons of college guards who can't even make that claim. Look, his shooting has been a huge disappointment. But those of us who saw him at WSU told everyone coming into the year that it would be absolutely wrong to pigeon hole him as a sniper. He needs to shoot better -- that will be a huge key to the rest of the season. But to suggest that it is because of the schedule is just wrong. He has shot poorly this year even against the weaker teams on our schedule.
No way you said that. I remember the exact opposite - lectures for anyone who dared to wait and see how hed play for us
__________________
Same ol same ol
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #17
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
No way you said that. I remember the exact opposite - lectures for anyone who dared to wait and see how hed play for us
I can find several posts where I said he was a very good athlete and that he would be far more than a spot-up shooter. I will be happy to find those for you. Perhaps you don't understand what the word "sniper" in my post means.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I can find several posts where I said he was a very good athlete and that he would be far more than a spot-up shooter. I will be happy to find those for you. Perhaps you don't understand what the word "sniper" in my post means.
His struggles seem to be rooted in his lack of skills/athleticism.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
skyvue
Final Four
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,003
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Every year, some player gets singled out as the guy to blame for the fact that we're not undefeated and ranked in the top 5 nationally. Reaves clearly has been afforded that special honor this season.

So far, Reaves has contributed much more to the team than have Bieniemy, Harmon or any of our bench players. I wouldn't say he's the least of our worries, but he's pretty close.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #20
Triple Threat
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hutchinson, KS
Posts: 46
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Reaves is not the one who designed the offense to have 4 players standing behind the 3 pt. line and one guy trying to go one on one. The lack of offensive flow drives me nuts.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #21
Hollisp
Role Player
 
Hollisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 720
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Every year, some player gets singled out as the guy to blame for the fact that we're not undefeated and ranked in the top 5 nationally. Reaves clearly has been afforded that special honor this season.

So far, Reaves has contributed much more to the team than have Bieniemy, Harmon or any of our bench players. I wouldn't say he's the least of our worries, but he's pretty close.
This
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #22
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Every year, some player gets singled out as the guy to blame for the fact that we're not undefeated and ranked in the top 5 nationally. Reaves clearly has been afforded that special honor this season.

So far, Reaves has contributed much more to the team than have Bieniemy, Harmon or any of our bench players. I wouldn't say he's the least of our worries, but he's pretty close.
Everyone not named Doolittle has been a disappointment. I blame Lon.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
His struggles seem to be rooted in his lack of skills/athleticism.
Then you haven't been paying close enough attention. His shot selection has been awful. If you think he isn't a good athlete, you are judging him based off the fact he is a white, somewhat lanky kid. Watch him dunk. Watch some of the difficult shots he hits. The problem is, he is taking way too many of those difficult shots.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #24
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Then you haven't been paying close enough attention. His shot selection has been awful. If you think he isn't a good athlete, you are judging him based off the fact he is a white, somewhat lanky kid. Watch him dunk. Watch some of the difficult shots he hits. The problem is, he is taking way too many of those difficult shots.
I'm judging him based on his lack of ball skills and quickness that doesn't allow him to create spacing from defenders guarding him. Out of frustration/impatience, he then jacks up a contested 3. Has nothing to do with his skin color or his ability to dunk.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:18 PM   #25
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,218
Default Re: Reaves shot 26% from 3 against high majors at WSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Everyone not named Doolittle has been a disappointment. I blame Lon.
Reaves has been a much better player than I anticipated.

It’s just strange the one thing I thought he’d bring (3-point shooting), he hasn’t delivered.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com