ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
outest
Walk-on

Default Rebounding.

"They are obviously one of the most physical rebounding teams in the country every year. I think we held them to one offensive rebound in the second half and that put us over the top." Quote from OSU coach. Wish we could have done the same. We would have beaten WV or Iowa State, or Texas, etc if we could do the same. Does Lon teach/preach rebounding????
outest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

Default Re: Rebounding.

We give up too many offensive boards at key times, but all in all, rebounding really hasn't been that high on the list of problems imho. I think West Virginia was the only game we've been outrebounded in the last few weeks, which isn't awful considering the personnel we have. If we could hang onto three or four a game that we lose control of, I think it would go a long way toward making everyone feel better about this area.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #3
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by outest View Post
"They are obviously one of the most physical rebounding teams in the country every year. I think we held them to one offensive rebound in the second half and that put us over the top." Quote from OSU coach. Wish we could have done the same. We would have beaten WV or Iowa State, or Texas, etc if we could do the same. Does Lon teach/preach rebounding????
No he doesn't

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:28 AM   #4
Swans
Role Player

Our rebounding has actually improved the last few games. However, our opponents have been more efficient in getting second chance points from their offensive boards. They have also been better at scoring off turnovers. In the ISU game it was the lousy three point shooting by Trae and CJ that was the problem. It was Traeís worst game from beyond the arc as he went 1 for 8 and CJ went 1 for 7. Meanwhile Manek hits 3 of 7, scores 14 and has 8 boards which is definitely an improvement for him.

We actually out rebounded ISU and scored more points in the paint.
Swans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
chuckb
All-Conference

OU is a middle-of-the-pack rebounding team in the Big 12 -- better than Kansas, Iowa St., Texas, & Oklahoma St. We're 7th in offensive rebounding percentage and 5th in defensive rebounding percentage.

It's hard to be a great rebounding team when our bigs aren't that big and our 4 plays on the perimeter. That's just how we're wired. No one complains about Manek's rebounding when he drains 3's.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
vbdad
Role Player

We seem to get killed on the boards then I look the next day and we are even or out rebounded the other team. Some of it is how many times we have the rebound and then let the other team knock it away from us. Khadeem has terrible hands. Watch his inability to catch a pass clean or rebound. Also I'm sick of him trying to back tap instead of just grabbing the ball.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
steverocks35
All-Conference

We need everyone to rebound. I thought Odomes was our second best player in the WV game, then I checked the box score and I noticed he had zero rebounds. How is that even possible? Considering WV killed us on the offensive boards, it’s a big problem.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
sheepdogs1
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
We seem to get killed on the boards then I look the next day and we are even or out rebounded the other team. Some of it is how many times we have the rebound and then let the other team knock it away from us. Khadeem has terrible hands. Watch his inability to catch a pass clean or rebound. Also I'm sick of him trying to back tap instead of just grabbing the ball.
The best shot is a controlled shot yet you see so many players trying to hot dog that shot.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
AdaSooner
Administrator

Default Re: Resounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Unfortunately, Khadeemís upper body strength hasnít improved much since he was a freshman. I have a feeling his lack of confidence in controlling the rebound is one of the reasons he taps the ball back out. Itís just frustrating to watch him get both hands on rebounds and loose balls only to lose them.

McNeace has that problem, too, to some extent. Makes you wonder if our S & C program includes a drill or two to increase upper body strength? My guess is, yes. Maybe Khadeem and Muni struggle with building muscle mass the same way they are slow to add more weight to their slender frames.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Unfortunately, Khadeemís upper body strength hasnít improved much since he was a freshman. I have a feeling his lack of confidence in controlling the rebound is one of the reasons he taps the ball back out. Itís just frustrating to watch him get both hands on rebounds and loose balls only to lose them.

McNeace has that problem, too, to some extent. Makes you wonder if our S & C program includes a drill or two to increase upper body strength? My guess is, yes. Maybe Khadeem and Muni struggle with building muscle mass the same way they are slow to add more weight to their slender frames.
Rebounding is just as much knowing where to be as it is strength. Lattin has always been a low IQ player, and I"m guessing this has as much to do with his lack of rebounding than anything physical.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
chuckb
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Rebounding is just as much knowing where to be as it is strength. Lattin has always been a low IQ player, and I"m guessing this has as much to do with his lack of rebounding than anything physical.
What a ridiculous thing to say. That's a low IQ comment if ever I've read one.

I tell you.,,this board...or, rather, some of the people on it...

Criticism of this team is warranted and fair and so is criticism of the coaching staff. I may not agree with all of it but we all have opinions. What I don't get is why some people who claim to be Sooner fans take shots like that one against Sooner players. It's fair to criticize him for not being strong enough or not developing any sort of offensive game but to call anyone "a low IQ player" when you don't have the foggiest (bleeping) idea as to his or anyone else's IQ is simply beyond the pale.

It's ridiculous. It's unfair. You should be ashamed to have said something like that about a Sooner or, truly, about anyone when you have no idea what you're talking about.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
DenverSooner
National Champion

Break out the Buble
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Larry72
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
Break out the Buble
I like the bubble it was high tech in the late 1960's

I saw Denny Crum's Louisville team practice RB drills with the bubble.

Assistants who heavily padded brooms would whack players in the shoulder, head and arms while the ball was coming off the rim.
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote