ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 02-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default WILDCATS vs. OU

Whipped us by 30 in Manhattan. Wonder what happens on Sunday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #2
Speedy17
Role Player

Default Re: WILDCATS vs. OU

They are big and OU is small. They lit OU up from 3. Unless a miracle occurs, the results will be the same.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

There are a couple of factors that can give us a tiny ray of hope over the next few weeks.

1. In conference we have already played 6 road games and only 4 home games. That is substantially more difficult than most others and lots worse than a few. For example WV has played only 4 away games, only one other team has had 6 road games, and no one else has only had 4 home games..

2. Last time we played K state they shot way over their season averages in Shooting Pct. and 3-Pt% and in FT%. We shot way below our averages in shooting % and 3-pt%. KS averages 27% in 3-pt shooting in conference, but against us they shot 47%. We shoot 3's better than they do (34%) on the season but shot only 22% against them. Obviously to have a far better season average means on most occasions we shoot better than they do. We also shoot overall about the same as they do (OU 38.3% and KS 38.7%). In the first game they shot 54% and we shot 28%. Since we have played more games against the top league teams (see below) and still shoot better than KS, those high K State numbers are not guaranteed in the game tomorrow. Of course, anything can happen in one game. Who knows maybe we shoot 90% overall, 80% on 3's and 100% on 40 free throws. If so, I bet we would win - pretty easily. And we have some who would argue there is nothing unusual about that, we are just shooting our normal numbers to get closer to our "expected" season averages. Weird thinking by the way. It would actual be very good luck.

3. We have had only 4 conference home games to date and in those 4 are Baylor, Texas, and WV. So even our home schedule has been loaded against success unless you happen to be the best team in the conference (which we obviously are not).

So over the next month we play 3 away games and 5 home games, and only one game left against the top conference teams.

By the way, the men are playing as bad as (maybe worse than) the women. Is Lon overpaid????
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

When he gets to 10 seasons of YES, he will be.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post

By the way, the men are playing as bad as (maybe worse than) the women. Is Lon overpaid????
Both Lon and Sherri had good careers and did very good things for Oklahoma basketball. We all know the history. But both seem to have run out of gas, and both basketball programs are on the decline. Without change, both programs are more likely than not to continue in mediocrity in the coming years.

I fear that the passage of additional seasons will only diminish the memory of the past accomplishments of both Sheri and Lon. I hope both decide to retire after this season. I'm sure they can come to equitable financial terms with Joe C. upon their retirement. In this way, both can leave on their own terms, rather than be fired in the not-too-distant future.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

I would support at least getting another year for both Lon and Sherri. Lon has a very highly regarded large class coming in and Sherri will have a couple of quality additions next year too. But I would want to see progress with these additions next year.

Force both out and have the majority of the incoming classes get a waiver to transfer and the program would further set back another 2-3 years. Time we can ill afford. But changes needs to be made to make both teams more successful.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
There are a couple of factors that can give us a tiny ray of hope over the next few weeks.

So over the next month we play 3 away games and 5 home games, and only one game left against the top conference teams.

Define worse. OU MBB season 15-9 and conference 3-8. OU WBB season season 5-16 and conference 1-9. As a season ticketholder to both I have seen far more bad games by both than I want and can stand. But what about how the men are playing is as bad (maybe worse than)? The men are playing bad and below their potential. The women are playing infinitely worse in all regards. You need to take your gender glasses off.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-09-2019 at 05:58 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #8
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I would support at least getting another year for both Lon and Sherri. Lon has a very highly regarded large class coming in and Sherri will have a couple of quality additions next year too. But I would want to see progress with these additions next year.

Force both out and have the majority of the incoming classes get a waiver to transfer and the program would further set back another 2-3 years. Time we can ill afford. But changes needs to be made to make both teams more successful.
If the women were bringing in at least one player in the top 10, I might agree with you. But the players they are bringing in are more of the same of what they already have that will need time to adjust to the college game. They are not program changers; not close. That's why it's important that they bring in someone who can keep who OU already has on the team and bring in whatever great players they've already been recruiting. If not, I believe it will be more of the same next year. And I would not be surprised if there are not numerous transfers after this season if the staff stays in tact. These young players need some change...and hope!
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Define worse. OU MBB season 15-9 and conference 3-8. OU WBB season season 5-16 and conference 1-9. As a season ticketholder to both I have seen far more bad games by both than I want and can stand. But what about how the men are playing is as bad (maybe worse than)? The men are playing bad and below their potential. The women are playing infinitely worse in all regards. You need to take your gender glasses off.
Sensitive little fella, are you?
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Sensitive little fella, are you?
Nope just call a spade a spade. And little I am not.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
If the women were bringing in at least one player in the top 10, I might agree with you. But the players they are bringing in are more of the same of what they already have that will need time to adjust to the college game. They are not program changers; not close. That's why it's important that they bring in someone who can keep who OU already has on the team and bring in whatever great players they've already been recruiting. If not, I believe it will be more of the same next year. And I would not be surprised if there are not numerous transfers after this season if the staff stays in tact. These young players need some change...and hope!
There is not logical reason to presume that a top 10 player is coming to OU in the foreseeable future regardless who is the coach. Signing a top 20 or top 30 player or players would be the first step in the right direction. A conference championship is probably a requrement to attract that very top talent. At least make the CCG or finishing a game out of the regular season championship would be needed.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #12
Speedy17
Role Player

The men are playing poorly but at least they won games in the non-conference. Lon has a Top Ten recruiting class coming to Norman next year but Sherri does not. However, Lon has a lot to prove. The women are beyond terrible and are having a historically bad season. The two players coming in are not going to turn this ship around. The team is short and slow. The other teams in the conference are moving further ahead of OU. Unfortunately, I agree with Kim Mulkey, when you lose it, you don't get it back. It is going to take a coaching change for OU's women's program to come close to sniffing a conference championship in the near future. That change is more important than the next recruiting class to future success.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Best part of this game so far is Sherri’s Jeans and her shoes.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
kimard
Walk-on

Interesting note... Pellington isn't cheering on her teammates on the bench like the rest.
kimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimard View Post
Interesting note... Pellington isn't cheering on her teammates on the bench like the rest.
Also, she was walking very slowly to the locker room and Colton yelled at her to run and pushed her in the back. There's no way she is back next year. Collosal mishandling by Coale and staff.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Colton pushing her is technically assault and he could be arrested for it.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #17
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Colton pushing her is technically assault and he could be arrested for it.

If only we could get him arrested lol.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #18
TheMont
Role Player

ARRRRRGHHH -- Penzo had a wide open layup that would've cut the lead to 5 and our lone senior guard TRAVELLED. So frustrating.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #19
OKUman
Walk-on

[quote=Oliver Hardy;620809]Best part of this game so far is Sherri’s Jeans and her shoes.

what the hell, all the money she makes and wears a pair of worn out jeans. Or is she trying to loom like. Teenager?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
+1000
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #21
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
Also, she was walking very slowly to the locker room and Colton yelled at her to run and pushed her in the back. There's no way she is back next year. Collosal mishandling by Coale and staff.
He should not be touching her at ALL!!!!!
Old 02-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #22
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
There is not logical reason to presume that a top 10 player is coming to OU in the foreseeable future regardless who is the coach. Signing a top 20 or top 30 player or players would be the first step in the right direction. A conference championship is probably a requrement to attract that very top talent. At least make the CCG or finishing a game out of the regular season championship would be needed.
Liz Scott is #9 according to Prospect Nation.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #23
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Scott is vitally important to us, as is Bloom and Gregory.

Let’s hope they don’t change their minds...and I know letter of intent....blah, blah, blah. That means nothing these days.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
sybarite
National Champion

Bloom is already here.

Gregory, playing for Sherri is her lifelong dream.

Scott, a poster said that she wanted to be at OU, basketball or not.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #25
Leroy
Walk-on

I told you guys zero wins the rest of the season. I wish I was wrong.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote