ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #1
Oliver Hardy
All-American

Default Sooners & Aggies

As the news said, one teamís losing streak comes to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Default Re: Sooners & Aggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
As the news said, one teamís losing streak comes to an end.

Huh? I'm confused...what's this about?
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
TheMont
Role Player

The Pokes have lost 4 in a row. We've lost 8 in a row. Someone has to win tonight.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Leroy
Walk-on

It won't be OU.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Oliver Hardy
All-American

Well, we did lose to KANSAS! So,
I wouldnít say our chances are more than 50-50.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
SuperHoops
Role Player

Sometimes OSU looks pretty salty but other times not so much. They seem to be limited on offense other than Gray and Miller. Turnovers and rebounding will be key for both teams tonight.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
soonermom1000
Walk-on

OSU looked really good against Baylor, but then OU looked good against
U-conn......So it just all depends what team shows up... I hope it's OU !!!!
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
SoonerinNC
Starter

TCU really shut the Cowgirls offense down. The OSU point guard was hot against Baylor which really opened up the offense. She didn't appear to be a factor against TCU.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
The Pokes have lost 4 in a row. We've lost 8 in a row. Someone has to win tonight.

Ohhhh, 'Aggies' made me think TAMU haha.

Yeah, we will lose again. They have similar talent with more height and a better coach
Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
inoref
All-Conference

I'm sure Sherri & Colton have went over the game plan for days now and came up with a winner.

Last edited by inoref; 02-06-2019 at 06:42 PM.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I'm sure Sherri & Colton have when over the game plan for days now and came up with a winner.

I'm sensing a little sarcasm here...
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
Oliver Hardy
All-American

Not enough.😉

Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
I'm sure Sherri & Colton have when over the game plan for days now and came up with a winner.
Come on Colton is a basketball genius with his experience and all. Unbeatable!!! With Colton on the bench, I am going to put this one in the win column.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
Oliver Hardy
All-American

Like the starting line-up except for Simpson.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
TheMont
Role Player

Welp. The losing streak doesn't get any more fun as it trudges on.

Some takeaways:

- I thought the 2 most pivotal moments of the game were when Madi picked up her 2nd foul 5 minutes into the game and OSU immediately went on an 11-0 run, forcing us to call timeout. And then when Madi picked up her 4th foul early in the 4th quarter (the game was either tied or a one-point game) and OSU quickly went on a 6-0 run. We are so much better and tougher when Madi is in the game. Also every single foul call on Madi in both this game and the KU game last week have been extremely weak calls. We need Madi to be able to play freely and aggressively.

- Very impressed with Jessi all game. She came to play and it showed on both ends.

- Both teams shot exactly 27-63 from the field, but OSU had 22 second chance points (compared to our 8) and made 9 more FTs than we did.

- We were only out-rebounded by 8. It felt worse than that.

- Really good first and third quarters -- terrible second quarter and pretty bad fourth quarter. I just keep itching for this team to play a complete game.

- It sucks that Shaina is still in the doghouse. I know she's turnover prone and can have defensive lapses, but so does everyone else. She can change a game and I'm scared we will lose her to transfer and she'll go somewhere where she will average 20 ppg.

- We played much better defense on Gray in the 2nd half, but she had already done too much damage.

- Can we beat KSU at home this weekend?!?!
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

KSU beat us by 30 at their home, so I'm very doubtful. I say another 15 point loss or so....

I'm just so sad with how bad things are right now. SC and her staff seem fairly content though. I wish we had something to cheer for these days. The men are getting just as bad at this point...

Softball right around the corner but not much televised games....tough semester for OU sports fans..
Old 02-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
sooner8
Walk-on

The Norman Transcript said that the OU women's scoring defense is 346th in the country and only 5 schools are below them???How in the hell could this be true.I know this team is bad,but that's unbelievable
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #18
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Recap...

Quote:
STILLWATER — Sophomore forward Vivian Gray scored a career-high 33 points on 11-for-16 shooting from the field and 10-for-11 from the free-throw line Wednesday to lead Oklahoma State to an 84-74 victory over Oklahoma in Round 1 of Bedlam.

Oklahoma State (13-8, 4-6 Big 12), which swept the Bedlam series last year, snapped a four-game losing streak and sent Oklahoma (5-16, 1-8) to its ninth loss in a row.

Jaden Hobbs added 17 points for the Cowgirls.

Four Sooners scored in double figures: Ana Llanusa with 16 points, Jessi Murcer with 15, Madi Williams with 14 and Taylor Robertson with 11.

This was a seesaw game: OU won the first quarter 18-14, OSU dominated the second 29-14, OU ruled the third 21-11 and OSU put the game away in the fourth 30-21.

Both teams were 27-for-63 from the field (42.9 percent). OSU was 22-for-26 at the line and OU was 13-for-19.

OU leads the all-time series 61-43.

The Cowgirls travel to Lubbock, Texas, to take on Texas Tech at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. The Sooners return home to play Kansas State at 2 p.m. Sunday.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
The Norman Transcript said that the OU women's scoring defense is 346th in the country and only 5 schools are below them???How in the hell could this be true.I know this team is bad,but that's unbelievable
I want to start by saying I'm not making excuses for our play - and I'm certainly not claiming we are a great team. We aren't. We are struggling in many aspects of the game.

But part of what is happening is really bad luck. Several teams we could have beaten have simply shot better than they normally do. Even free throws. I'm sure everyone under stands that free throw percentage in a given game has nothing to do with the quality of the opponent. At the end of the year a team will have shot a certain FT percentage. Some games better, some games worse. Teams are frequently having their best games - even at FT percentage against us. Same for 3 pt % and shooting %. Shooting is streaky. No one can explain why one game they hit 10 out of 12 3 ptrs, and the next game they hit 1 out of 12. We had a team that usually hits 65% of their free throws, but hit 96% against us - and got to shoot almost 25 free throws that night. It cost us the game.

Last night OSU was hitting shots they do not normally hit. Not easy open shots, but in many cases really hard, well covered shots.

It is similar to what all bookies know. In football, turnovers are based on luck to a great extent. Once that ball pops free, which way does it bounce? Whose arms does it bounce into? No one who fumbles plans which way it will bounce. They don't even intend to fumble. It is not a planned play. It involves luck. That is why bookies will tell you that if a team recovered a big percentage of fumbles one year, you need to plan on them having a negative stat in that category the next year. It means their win-loss record will be impacted by that fact. They make a lot of money by paying attention to things like that, while most gamblers never even have that concept enter their minds.

That is part of what is happening to us this year in WBB. Teams are having their best luck of the year in many cases in games against us. Later this year, or even next year that will even out. But it is really frustrating this year. We are creating enough problems of our own without needing that luck factor to play against us. We need a few teams to miss lots of shots that normally go in for them.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #20
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
I want to start by saying I'm not making excuses for our play - and I'm certainly not claiming we are a great team. We aren't. We are struggling in many aspects of the game.

But part of what is happening is really bad luck. Several teams we could have beaten have simply shot better than they normally do. Even free throws. I'm sure everyone under stands that free throw percentage in a given game has nothing to do with the quality of the opponent. At the end of the year a team will have shot a certain FT percentage. Some games better, some games worse. Teams are frequently having their best games - even at FT percentage against us. Same for 3 pt % and shooting %. Shooting is streaky. No one can explain why one game they hit 10 out of 12 3 ptrs, and the next game they hit 1 out of 12. We had a team that usually hits 65% of their free throws, but hit 96% against us - and got to shoot almost 25 free throws that night. It cost us the game.

Last night OSU was hitting shots they do not normally hit. Not easy open shots, but in many cases really hard, well covered shots.

It is similar to what all bookies know. In football, turnovers are based on luck to a great extent. Once that ball pops free, which way does it bounce? Whose arms does it bounce into? No one who fumbles plans which way it will bounce. They don't even intend to fumble. It is not a planned play. It involves luck. That is why bookies will tell you that if a team recovered a big percentage of fumbles one year, you need to plan on them having a negative stat in that category the next year. It means their win-loss record will be impacted by that fact. They make a lot of money by paying attention to things like that, while most gamblers never even have that concept enter their minds.

That is part of what is happening to us this year in WBB. Teams are having their best luck of the year in many cases in games against us. Later this year, or even next year that will even out. But it is really frustrating this year. We are creating enough problems of our own without needing that luck factor to play against us. We need a few teams to miss lots of shots that normally go in for them.
In other words, if we could get all of our opponents to play bad enough we could win all of our games. Great concept.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #21
j2d2
All-American

Defense has NEVER been a priority with Sherri. Everly year I hear how hard they are working on defense and how big a priority it is and we continue to play poorly with no apparent change of tactics.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #22
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
In other words, if we could get all of our opponents to play bad enough we could win all of our games. Great concept.
You actually think we could win all our games remaining? That is a pretty weird expectation. Most of us just hope for a couple of wins over teh next few weeks.

But it will take some opponents playing at or even below their average skill set.

But don't expect us to win them all.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #23
inoref
All-Conference

Other teams shoot better because we're small, slow and lack experience. I think we will win maybe two or three more. I also expect Colton to get bump to over 100k
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post

Not so! Poor use of an example for your point. You are right that the fumble recovery numbers will tend to average out over time but that time line may be 3 or 5 years. It is called the theorem of the law of large numbers. The larger the number of fumbles the closer the results will be to the expected value. Also who covered fumble "A" has no statistical impact on who covers fumble "B" i.e. there is no posterior probability associated with fumbles. In the real came of football there are factors such as coaching technique, aggressive style of play and team effort, etc. that has a realistic impact on frequency of fumbles and expected result of fumble recoveries.

Moreover your inference that luck is the the logical explanation for opponent shooting success in a game is bogus. From the free throw line luck could be a major factor but team emphasis of improving FT shooting could also be a factor. OU shot 55.4% from the line in the non-conference and are shooting 72.6% from the line in the conference. When it comes to shooting from the field luck will always have some impact but more likely opponent defense or lack thereof will be more of an impact.

It is no coincidence that OU is allowing a 42.1% FG completion defense % for the season for last place in the confernece with Tech next allowing 40.6%. Meanwhile the 4 best FG completion defense % are possessed by the 4 teams ranked 1-4 in the conference with Baylor allowing only 31.4% FG% against them. A full 10.3% fewer makes than the Sooners allow.

OU is doing better BTA defensively with both OSU and Tech worse than the Sooners.

http://big12statistics.com/sports/wb...t=&r=0&pos=def

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-07-2019 at 02:11 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #25
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Other teams shoot better because we're small, slow and lack experience. I think we will win maybe two or three more. I also expect Colton to get bump to over 100k
OU has a shot at KU in Norman, Tech in Lubbock, and possibly OSU in Norman! However, I expect they will lose all three!! 5-26 would be a great beginning for Coltonís coaching career!!
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote