ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #26
Sooner81
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 383
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Sherri USED to be a fine coach. She is no longer though. Doesn’t recruit well or coach well or develops players well and she had brought in her son and cronies. I’m assuming Joe and the President are looking are ROI and they realize they are not getting any return on investment - If you can save a million and get 5-6 wins a year why would you not.

Sherri should do us all a favor and quit so that someone with energy and want to can come in and do a decent job. In my world, if you don’t perform for 1 year much less 5 years you get FIRED. Shame on Sherri for not just stepping away.

And Sherri, please if your going to stay please take a coaching class this summer on how to set multiple screens for your ONE player who can hit a shot.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #27
inoref
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,447
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

What can you say that hasn't already been said...Keep SC on and things will remain about the same. Couple of avg years and then the bad years..she isn't going to change anything or admit that she done anything wrong. IMO she just another coach that the game has past her by. Myself couldn't care less what religion SC is or is not, as long as it doesn't effect the basketball team. If or when that happen IMO she should be kicked at that moment.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #28
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
Castiglione and Gallogly are in attendance today... Sending a message maybe? Wonder if I'd get kicked out if I started bringing a fire Sherri sign?
I don't know that it is the message you preceive. Both were at the women's gymnastics meet last night. Both were at the WBB today and Gallogly was at the wrestling match tonight but I did not see Castiglione.

I am more inclined to think Gillogly was supporting the OU athletic teams that where competing locally. But that does not mean he was not upset with what he saw. Especially the WBB and wrestling programs were the performance is continually about as bad as it can get.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-03-2019 at 11:01 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #29
Rbeam1
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 192
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I don't know that it is the message you preceive. Both were at the women's gymnastics meet last night. Both were at the WBB today and Gallogly was at the wrestling match tonight but I did not see Castiglione.

I am more inclined to think Gillogly was supporting the OU athletic teams that were competing locally. But that does not mean he was not upset with what he saw. Especially the WBB and wrestling programs were the performance is continually about as bad as it can get.
Poor word choice on my part. i just perceived it as maybe letting Sherri know they are watching the program with interest. Some have thought maybe Castiglione will let Sherri do whatever she wants.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #30
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
Poor word choice on my part. i just perceived it as maybe letting Sherri know they are watching the program with interest. Some have thought maybe Castiglione will let Sherri do whatever she wants.
It has been reported that Joe C. allowed Sherri to hire her son as an assistant without her discussing it with him first. If true it would strongly indicate he is letting Sherri run her own program as she sees fit.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #31
soonerstar
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,674
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner81 View Post
Sherri USED to be a fine coach. She is no longer though. Doesn’t recruit well or coach well or develops players well and she had brought in her son and cronies. I’m assuming Joe and the President are looking are ROI and they realize they are not getting any return on investment - If you can save a million and get 5-6 wins a year why would you not.

Sherri should do us all a favor and quit so that someone with energy and want to can come in and do a decent job. In my world, if you don’t perform for 1 year much less 5 years you get FIRED. Shame on Sherri for not just stepping away.

And Sherri, please if your going to stay please take a coaching class this summer on how to set multiple screens for your ONE player who can hit a shot.
+1
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,900
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Nineteen straight NCAA appearances. Miss one year and get fired? I think not.

The first evaluation of Sherri Coale is likely to come after next year. I suspect that the AD, who would probably only terminate Sherri under orders, would like to see what happens with:

1) Pellington, Llanusa, Simpson
2) Williams, Robertson, Murcer, Lampkin, Veitenheimer, Williston
3) Scott, Gregory, Brown

4) might want to see if the good recruiting continues through the next class.

Then, I anticipate that Sherri may be evaluated. But, I also suspect that she may evaluate whether she wants to keep going. I never saw Sherri lasting into her sixties. I think she is more likely to quit than to be fired.

I don't think anyone in the administration is dumb enough to want to be the next Donnie Duncan, and firing Sherri will get you there. Reality, Sylvia Hatchell has had three straight losing years at North Carolina, and she still has a job. She is, after all, Sylvia Hatchell..
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #33
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I don't know that it is the message you preceive. Both were at the women's gymnastics meet last night. Both were at the WBB today and Gallogly was at the wrestling match tonight but I did not see Castiglione.

I am more inclined to think Gillogly was supporting the OU athletic teams that were competing locally. But that does not mean he was not upset with what he saw. Especially the WBB and wrestling programs were the performance is continually about as bad as it can get.
Actually, the wrestling program is improving under the new coach. Think this is his second or third year and he seems to have improved on recruiting. Believe they are getting more individual match wins and team wins. I only follow a little because my brothers go to OU home matches, not because I would promote the sport. It does not look healthy to me...especially potential for neck and head injury. Definitely, they have a ways to go but I believe they are moving in the right direction.
__________________
“Patriotism is, fundamentally, a conviction that a particular country is the best in the world because you were born in it....” George Bernard Shaw
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #34
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,900
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
Actually, the wrestling program is improving under the new coach. Think this is his second or third year and he seems to have improved on recruiting. Believe they are getting more individual match wins and team wins. I only follow a little because my brothers go to OU home matches, not because I would promote the sport. It does not look healthy to me...especially potential for neck and head injury. Definitely, they have a ways to go but I believe they are moving in the right direction.
Very slowly if at all. Last night was about as embarrassing as I've seen. No aggression. Lost match-after-match with inactivity, lack of confidence, uncertainty. Sometimes, just bull strength.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #35
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 756
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Nineteen straight NCAA appearances. Miss one year and get fired? I think not.

The first evaluation of Sherri Coale is likely to come after next year. I suspect that the AD, who would probably only terminate Sherri under orders, would like to see what happens with:

1) Pellington, Llanusa, Simpson
2) Williams, Robertson, Murcer, Lampkin, Veitenheimer, Williston
3) Scott, Gregory, Brown

4) might want to see if the good recruiting continues through the next class.

Then, I anticipate that Sherri may be evaluated. But, I also suspect that she may evaluate whether she wants to keep going. I never saw Sherri lasting into her sixties. I think she is more likely to quit than to be fired.

I don't think anyone in the administration is dumb enough to want to be the next Donnie Duncan, and firing Sherri will get you there. Reality, Sylvia Hatchell has had three straight losing years at North Carolina, and she still has a job. She is, after all, Sylvia Hatchell..
I have a question, did Sylvia Hatchell ever win just single digits of games or was she somewhere close to a .500 record?
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #36
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
Actually, the wrestling program is improving under the new coach. Think this is his second or third year and he seems to have improved on recruiting. Believe they are getting more individual match wins and team wins. I only follow a little because my brothers go to OU home matches, not because I would promote the sport. It does not look healthy to me...especially potential for neck and head injury. Definitely, they have a ways to go but I believe they are moving in the right direction.
This is Rosselli's 3rd year. I have had season tickets for years and I can assure you the performance on the mat is dismal. Their ability to make an aggressive offensive move is nil. What improvement seen has been minimal. Rosselli has been redshirting virtually every recruit signed but the quality of prospects committing to OU is low. You cannot make silk out of a sow's ear. Of the 10 weights wrestled OU has only 1 quality wrestler ranked. Last night Leheigh had 5 or 6. We won one match 5-4 on a late takedown because Leheigh wrestled a backup instead of their ranked heavyweight.

The do have 11 freshmen on the roster and all but 1 are being redshirted. Of the 10 redshirts 6 do not have a distinguished high school resume. 4 have won state championships two of which were from Oklahoma and 1 of those from lower class. The other two are from Ohio and Missouri.

Nothing on paper indicates there is talent on the roster to project completing on the national level as a top 10-15 team in the foreseeable future.

Check out the bios for each and see for yourself.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #37
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 756
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
This is Rosselli's 3rd year. I have had season tickets for years and I can assure you the performance on the mat is dismal. Their ability to make an aggressive offensive move is nil. What improvement seen has been minimal. Rosselli has been redshirting virtually every recruit signed but the quality of prospects committing to OU is low. You cannot make silk out of a sow's ear. Of the 10 weights wrestled OU has only 1 quality wrestler ranked. Last night Leheigh had 5 or 6. We won one match 5-4 on a late takedown because Leheigh wrestled a backup instead of their ranked heavyweight.

The do have 11 freshmen on the roster and all but 1 are being redshirted. Of the 10 redshirts 6 do not have a distinguished high school resume. 4 have won state championships two of which were from Oklahoma and 1 of those from lower class. The other two are from Ohio and Missouri.

Nothing on paper indicates there is talent on the roster to project completing on the national level as a top 10-15 team in the foreseeable future.

Check out the bios for each and see for yourself.
I really figured that Rosselli was going to turn around the program. Unfortunately, that has not happened. I was stunned last night where Sooners led till that last 30 seconds only to lose. Rosselli won't be given much more time.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #38
SoonerinNC
Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,455
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Hatchell won a national championship 25 years ago but I consider her one of the worst coaches in the game. She has always had superior talent and they have mostly underperformed. Her team is always very undiciplined and she was quoted once as saying that they didn't run any plays and it is usually that the one with the ball who crosses half court will take the shot.

Along with Aston and the UCLA coach I consider her as one who wastes the most talent of any head coach at a major univesity. She, like Sherri had her greatest success before there were so many good players and coaches in women's basketball. Unlike Sherri though she has consistently been a very strong recruiter.

One of my favorite teams to watch is Oregon State. They are basically undersized so their max potential is probably elite-8. They do have a European center who is around 6-8 but she comes off the bench and is slower and has less coordination and has poorer hands than Mandy Simpson.

Their coach is a guy named Rueck (sp). The reason I like to see them play is they move without the ball very well and really block out well on rebounds. They are the #1 defensive team in the loaded Pac 12 and have all but one of their key players back next year and picked up the 6-5 5 star player from Derby, Kansas alon with another 6-3 5 star from Dallas.

I can catch most of their games on my Spectrum TV service but you can also go to the schedule on the game site and watch for free if you catch them when they are actually playing.

I love to watch good womens basketball and record and watch at least part of most of the games by UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, South Carolina, Utah, Baylor and Mississippi State. They all have good players and in my opinion are well coached. Rebound well, play good defense and get open shots with their offense.

Most of those coaches if not all came to those programs from lesser schools where they did a good job rather from another power 5 school. In many of the cases the program they inherited was not in great shape when they took over. I think if Sherri were to leave we would go that route rather than go after an established big program coach. Joe C has done pretty well that way other than the Caple hire. With Caple I think he was overimpressed with the sudden success at VCU when they made a good tournament run. In my opinion what Joe C failed to consider in that the team did not have a great year the last year Caple was at VCU and his replacement had a much year after Jeff left to go to OU.

I'm not saying she has to go but I expect her to improve the program to stay in the long run. Tough to let her go when she has had 3 relatively good recruiting classes in a row and the only effective players are freshmen and sophmores.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:36 PM   #39
Soonerguy06
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 408
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Hatchell won a national championship 25 years ago but I consider her one of the worst coaches in the game. She has always had superior talent and they have mostly underperformed. Her team is always very undiciplined and she was quoted once as saying that they didn't run any plays and it is usually that the one with the ball who crosses half court will take the shot.

Along with Aston and the UCLA coach I consider her as one who wastes the most talent of any head coach at a major univesity. She, like Sherri had her greatest success before there were so many good players and coaches in women's basketball. Unlike Sherri though she has consistently been a very strong recruiter.

One of my favorite teams to watch is Oregon State. They are basically undersized so their max potential is probably elite-8. They do have a European center who is around 6-8 but she comes off the bench and is slower and has less coordination and has poorer hands than Mandy Simpson.

Their coach is a guy named Rueck (sp). The reason I like to see them play is they move without the ball very well and really block out well on rebounds. They are the #1 defensive team in the loaded Pac 12 and have all but one of their key players back next year and picked up the 6-5 5 star player from Derby, Kansas alon with another 6-3 5 star from Dallas.

I can catch most of their games on my Spectrum TV service but you can also go to the schedule on the game site and watch for free if you catch them when they are actually playing.

I love to watch good womens basketball and record and watch at least part of most of the games by UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, South Carolina, Utah, Baylor and Mississippi State. They all have good players and in my opinion are well coached. Rebound well, play good defense and get open shots with their offense.

Most of those coaches if not all came to those programs from lesser schools where they did a good job rather from another power 5 school. In many of the cases the program they inherited was not in great shape when they took over. I think if Sherri were to leave we would go that route rather than go after an established big program coach. Joe C has done pretty well that way other than the Caple hire. With Caple I think he was overimpressed with the sudden success at VCU when they made a good tournament run. In my opinion what Joe C failed to consider in that the team did not have a great year the last year Caple was at VCU and his replacement had a much year after Jeff left to go to OU.

I'm not saying she has to go but I expect her to improve the program to stay in the long run. Tough to let her go when she has had 3 relatively good recruiting classes in a row and the only effective players are freshmen and sophmores.
I could care less that she has had good recruiting classes the last 3 years in a row, because guess what? She doesn't do anything with the talent she does bring in! None of these girls have gotten any better since they came here, arguably they've gotten worse. That's my whole concern. I don't think we're going to be a whole lot better next year, couldn't get much worse, of course. I just think if SC is the coach we're always going to be prone to poor fundamentals and the best we will ever get will be towards the middle of the Big 12. Too many other coaches in this conference that out recruit us and instill more discipline in their players. I think the last good year we had with SC was 2013, barely, arguably 2010...
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #40
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,205
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
It has been reported that Joe C. allowed Sherri to hire her son as an assistant without her discussing it with him first. If true it would strongly indicate he is letting Sherri run her own program as she sees fit.
You really think Joe C is that dumb???

A VP was just fired in the last month for hiring his son-in-law without completing nepotism paperwork. One of Gallogly’s hires.

Joe has known who Colton is since he has been at OU. Your might need to get better sources. He may not have wanted her to hire him but he’s going to let the coaches run their programs and if a nepotism disclosure wasn’t completed, Colton, most definitely, and probably Sherri, wouldn’t be here now. Nice rumor.
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #41
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
You really think Joe C is that dumb???

A VP was just fired in the last month for hiring his son-in-law without completing nepotism paperwork. One of Gallogly’s hires.

Joe has known who Colton is since he has been at OU. Your might need to get better sources. He may not have wanted her to hire him but he’s going to let the coaches run their programs and if a nepotism disclosure wasn’t completed, Colton, most definitely, and probably Sherri, wouldn’t be here now. Nice rumor.

Fool learn to understand what you read it would be a new skill for you. I noted that it was reported not my inside information. I did not declare it to be true or false. But when the media speaks it is noteworthy valid or not.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #42
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,900
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Fool learn to understand what you read it would be a new skill for you. I noted that it was reported not my inside information. I did not declare it to be true or false. But when the media speaks it is noteworthy valid or not.
Was the "fool" necessary? Tycat knew the facts and knew that the original report from "it was reported" was gibberish. That is how the deliberate "lie blogs" and "tabloids" get their sources. It was reported may be a stranger in a bar. In some journalistic circles, they know better and wouldn't have reported it.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #43
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,205
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Fool learn to understand what you read it would be a new skill for you. I noted that it was reported not my inside information. I did not declare it to be true or false. But when the media speaks it is noteworthy valid or not.
Reported by who? You usually quote your ‘inside sources’!

Maybe you should look in the mirror.
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #44
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
Reported by who? You usually quote your ‘inside sources’!

Maybe you should look in the mirror.
You figure it out I cannot recollect it has been 2-3 weeks since I read the info and I am not concerned with your needs. I generally do not share inside information on these boards but via PM's only. The information I normally source is nothing but factual data or articles providing data. Assume away that is your M.O.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #45
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sooner Heaven
Posts: 1,730
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

I went back today and watched the game again. I wanted to see if what I saw at the LNC was what actually happened.

I could not believe Holmes was allowed to slug Simpson in the face with no kind of foul called. If slugging an opponent is still illegal, then this crew needs to be kicked out from officiating any more games - ever. If it is actually legal - which this crew apparently believes - we need to start using that now legal strategy. It seems almost guaranteed that the conference and NCAA will one day get their pants sued off if they don't start protecting players from serious injury. Not a foul to hit an opponent in the face - to the extent they must be helped off the court? Ridiculous.

Also, look at the moment with 1:25 left in the game. We have just pulled to within 8 points. Why in the world was it not a foul when Ana was absolutely knocked to the floor? Wait, I know - see next comment.

Finally, go back and watch the game and count the times fouls were called on each team when we got within 13 points, as opposed to when we were trailing by more than 13 or so. It is amazing.

In my opinion, SC should absolutely demand that Zentz never step on a court when we are playing.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 AM   #46
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Very slowly if at all. Last night was about as embarrassing as I've seen. No aggression. Lost match-after-match with inactivity, lack of confidence, uncertainty. Sometimes, just bull strength.
I guess I am comparing it to three years ago. They have beaten a ranked team and come within three points of a ranked team this year. I would say they are better than three years ago. Did the team win a match three years ago? I don't know and am not going to look. Anyway, you don't turn it around immediately. I know they got some recruits in last year that replaced starters whom I never saw do anything. And I liked the team before. Nothing against them. I liked the coach but do believe this one is a better recruiter and coach.
Do not know what happened with Lehigh. My understanding is that now there is a Big 12 conference for wrestling. They went out and found 12 teams. Anyway, not a big deal in my universe. I could be absolutely wrong. Just gave my opinion. You gave yours and it may be correct. I will check with my brothers and see what they say. NOT that their opinion matters either. NONE of this matters.


I do appreciate your feedback.
__________________
“Patriotism is, fundamentally, a conviction that a particular country is the best in the world because you were born in it....” George Bernard Shaw
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #47
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,900
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
I guess I am comparing it to three years ago. They have beaten a ranked team and come within three points of a ranked team this year. I would say they are better than three years ago. Did the team win a match three years ago? I don't know and am not going to look. Anyway, you don't turn it around immediately. I know they got some recruits in last year that replaced starters whom I never saw do anything. And I liked the team before. Nothing against them. I liked the coach but do believe this one is a better recruiter and coach.
Do not know what happened with Lehigh. My understanding is that now there is a Big 12 conference for wrestling. They went out and found 12 teams. Anyway, not a big deal in my universe. I could be absolutely wrong. Just gave my opinion. You gave yours and it may be correct. I will check with my brothers and see what they say. NOT that their opinion matters either. NONE of this matters.


I do appreciate your feedback.
I don't know enough to have a strong opinion. This is the Big Twelve now: 2018 Conference championships

1. Oklahoma State 137
2. UNI 96.5
3. South Dakota State 94
4. Wyoming 82.5
5. North Dakota State 57
6. Oklahoma 52
7. Iowa State 51
8. Utah Valley 50.5
9. West Virginia 50
10. Northern Colorado 30.5
11. Fresno State 26.5
12. Air Force 22.

It is my understanding that an OU wrestler won the Big Twelve championship a couple of years ago, but did not qualify for the NCAA tournament. So, apparently it isn't automatic any more.

Results against conference opponents this year:
2 Oklahoma State 41
26 West Virginia 17
6 Iowa State 25
28 Northern Iowa 6

The ranked team that we beat? We wrestled Arizona State twice in Lock Haven, losing 12-22 and winning 21-19

Results for the year:
http://www.soonersports.com/SportSel...0&SPSID=780111
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #48
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,030
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I don't know enough to have a strong opinion. This is the Big Twelve now: 2018 Conference championships

1. Oklahoma State 137
2. UNI 96.5
3. South Dakota State 94
4. Wyoming 82.5
5. North Dakota State 57
6. Oklahoma 52
7. Iowa State 51
8. Utah Valley 50.5
9. West Virginia 50
10. Northern Colorado 30.5
11. Fresno State 26.5
12. Air Force 22.

It is my understanding that an OU wrestler won the Big Twelve championship a couple of years ago, but did not qualify for the NCAA tournament. So, apparently it isn't automatic any more.

Results against conference opponents this year:
2 Oklahoma State 41
26 West Virginia 17
6 Iowa State 25
28 Northern Iowa 6

The ranked team that we beat? We wrestled Arizona State twice in Lock Haven, losing 12-22 and winning 21-19

Results for the year:
http://www.soonersports.com/SportSel...0&SPSID=780111
While a long time season ticketholder and not pleased with the results I have seen to date from Rosselli's extensive redshirt strategy I am not certain they need to retain the program. They are wrestling very weak teams seeking some wins for the kid's confidence without much success. Don't forget this is
Rosselli's third season and we are at least two more years away maybe several more.

Wrestling has changed it is a B1G sport as they have won the last 12 national championships preceded by Oklahoma State winning in 2003-2006. Okie State has only finished as a runnerup twice in the last 12 years. Penn State should win their 8th natty in the last 9 years Of the 27 Power 5 schools wrestling 14 of them are in the B1G. The top national talent come from B1G country.

Four different B1G schools have won the natty since a Big 12 school. OU is not losing to Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio State by big scores they are getting beat by Northen Iowa, ASU, ISU, Pittsburgh. There wins are over Old Dominion, Appalachian State, Lock Haven and West Virginia. OU is ions from being competitive with the big boys. Not exactly the performance you want to see from a team that has won 7 national championships.

Progress perhaps some. Last year they lost to WVU, Pittsburgh, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming. Their wins were over the likes of Edinboro, Iowa State, Northern Colorado, Freson State, Lock Haven, Bucknell, Appalachian State and Sacred Heart.

Personally unless OU can get competitive with the lower to middle of the B1G schools within the next 3 years I would like to see the Sooners drop wrestling. Two wrestlers that wrestled from Port Robertson's (3 nattys, 3 runnerups and 2 thirds in the -50's) 1957 national championship team one of which was national champion that I spoke with at the Lehigh match Saturday made that suggestion to me. I concur.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D..._Championships

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208400886
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:27 AM   #49
TulsaWorld
Walk-on
 
TulsaWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 257
Default Re: OU vs. Texas

Recap from the Associated Press...

Quote:
NORMAN — Jatarie White scored 17 points, Joyner Holmes added 14 with 10 rebounds, and No. 12 Texas led the whole way in a 76-67 win over Oklahoma on Saturday.

Danni Williams added 13 points and Sug Sutton 10 with seven rebounds, six assists and four steals for the Longhorns (18-4, 8-2 Big 12 Conference).

Texas scored the first four points of the game, and a 7-0 spurt put the Longhorns on top 18-6 at the 3:24 mark of the first quarter. The lead got to 18 in the second quarter, which ended with Texas up 42-30.

A 12-4 run with Madi Williams scoring the first nine helped OU remain close, and her free throw late in the third quarter made it an eight-point game. Texas was only 3 of 8 from the foul line in the fourth quarter, which helped the Sooners cut the deficit to single figures with less than two minutes to go.
__________________
---
Happy to share Tulsa World's best OU articles/galleries/etc. Please e-mail questions for reporters to web@tulsaworld.com
TulsaWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com