ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #51
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sooner Heaven
Posts: 1,788
Default Re: Baylor

If you look at the stats for the games this year, a few things jump out at you. None are surprising.

Here they are:

1. Rebounding. In her Baylor press conference SC talked about it. But she thought it was due to BU's height advantage. While that played a small role this game, we get BADLY out rebounded in virtually every game.

2. Turnovers. We go up and down a bit on this, but it is a frequent problem, and between Turnovers and Rebounding, problem #3 always crops up.

3. We do not get off nearly enough shots. Game after game.

A huge problem is the loss of our two best recruits a couple of years ago. Both had a lot to do with off court events and activities. But no matter the reason, it created lots of the problems today. Both kids were extremely immature and selfish. No one can blame SC for their weakness. She wanted to help them develop into a mature successful lifestyle, but it did not work.

One change we must make is to stop recruiting so many short guard types. The game is passing by the time when you could win that way. You need a few, but you also need several faster, more athletic, taller kids. SC has refused to recruit that type, other than one or so per year. then if that one does not develop all is lost for a couple of more years. It is a method destined to failure. Will she change? I doubt it, but only time will tell.

It is impossible to consistently win with three point offense. Look at Ana this game. Ana is an excellent player, but she was 0 for 7 or 8 this time. Yes, that is a very unlikely event. She is about as likely to hit all 7 or all 8 as to miss all of them. But the point is that neither can be counted on consistently. Another game she may be 7 for 7. Good grief recently she scored 35 points - the most by any conference player this whole year. Had she hit all 7 this time, it would have been an even game. You just can't count on that in every game. It is a lousy way to build an offensive plan.

Having short kids drive up inside under tall players will never consistently work. Planning to hit 50% on threes will not consistently work. A successful team must have several reasonably tall, athletic players. You will never recruit those kind of players when you refuse to consider kids from all high schools in your recruiting area.

Will she change? Will she hire an assistant or two who can relate to kids from a variety of backgrounds? I don't know. What do you think?
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #52
inoref
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: Baylor

As mention before Sherri wants a bunch of little Sherri's out there. Will things change..I doubt it
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #53
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 813
Default Re: Baylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
As mention before Sherri wants a bunch of little Sherri's out there. Will things change..I doubt it
She is not going to change - whether it be recruiting short players or complaining when the other team is much bigger. Certainly not going to change the staff since she has that hoops genius, Colton.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #54
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,583
Default

Did anyone watch the post game press conference? Interesting.

Sherri trying hard to put some positives out there as you would expect.

However, she seemed somehow different than Iíve seen her before - like she was grasping, nervous and very worried.

It was the constant half smile, the inflection in her voice, to me almost a nervous kind of desperation ó almost lost.

Iíve never seen her like that.

Opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #55
Soonerbay
Role Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 895
Default Re: Baylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Did anyone watch the post game press conference? Interesting.

Sherri trying hard to put some positives out there as you would expect.

However, she seemed somehow different than Iíve seen her before - like she was grasping, nervous and very worried.

It was the constant half smile, the inflection in her voice, to me almost a nervous kind of desperation ó almost lost.

Iíve never seen her like that.

Opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I posted my opinion of her responses previously in this thread. But in response to your post, more relative to demeanor and tone, I agree with you. What was disappointing are the looks on the players faces. They deserve better leadership; top to bottom. SC to CC, and everyone in between. May as well add the President and AD.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #56
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sooner Heaven
Posts: 1,788
Default Re: Baylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Did anyone watch the post game press conference? Interesting.

Sherri trying hard to put some positives out there as you would expect.

However, she seemed somehow different than Iíve seen her before - like she was grasping, nervous and very worried.

It was the constant half smile, the inflection in her voice, to me almost a nervous kind of desperation ó almost lost.

Iíve never seen her like that.

Opinions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't notice anything like that in the postgame interview. Seemed pretty normal.

However, during the game at times during timeouts when SC was talking with the kids, Colton was over on the sideline chatting with some other guys, drinking water, not even listening to what was being said. The other assistants were at least standing near the circle of players showing some degree of interest.

Why would an assistant coach not have more interest in listening and trying to learn? To at least want to be aware of the approach the players were being asked to use for the next few minutes? It looked strange to me.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #57
inoref
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,487
Default Re: Baylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
I didn't notice anything like that in the postgame interview. Seemed pretty normal.

However, during the game at times during timeouts when SC was talking with the kids, Colton was over on the sideline chatting with some other guys, drinking water, not even listening to what was being said. The other assistants were at least standing near the circle of players showing some degree of interest.

Why would an assistant coach not have more interest in listening and trying to learn? To at least want to be aware of the approach the players were being asked to use for the next few minutes? It looked strange to me.
I think Colton was asking them what level in God Of War they on
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com