ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #26
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Default Re: Baylor

Why is pellington not in the game? What is SCS problem with her? When she does play I know she turns the ball over more than she probably should but she also scores, unlike players that staying more than her (simpson,).. at this rate we are going to lose her to transfer and then we will be in the same position next year as we are in this year, rebuilding and saying our youth is to blame
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #27
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Pellington is a turnover machine. I think that's partially why she is sitting. I don't agree with it completely but she turned it over 3 or 4 times when she was in. We have to get a transfer center in the off-season or next season will be the same.

Last edited by Rbeam1; 01-27-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #28
Soonerguy06
Role Player

EJ is so bad. she's got the size that we need but her hand eye coordination is horrible. It's like the coaches have not helped her get remotely better since she came in. With athleticism you also need work ethic and you need a good support team to help you get better and I don't know that she has had that here. We are not going to have another good center, in my opinion, unless we land and exceptionally naturally gifted recruit or we get in a different coach....

let's talk real talk now, how many games can we actually win the remainder of the season?
I THINK WE WIN TWO MORE GAMES THE REST OF THE SEASON, TOPS...sad, I know, but from what I've seen realistic. We have not improved at all since the first game.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #29
mr. basketball
Walk-on

Remember the days when LNC would be packed on a Sunday afternoon when the women were playing the #2 team in the nation? Hard to believe that Sherri has let this program fall to this level. How long before she is on the Hot Seat?
mr. basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #30
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. basketball View Post
Remember the days when LNC would be packed on a Sunday afternoon when the women were playing the #2 team in the nation? Hard to believe that Sherri has let this program fall to this level. How long before she is on the Hot Seat?
She's already on the hot seat. No way she goes another year like this next season without getting fired or forcibly retired.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #31
Soonerguy06
Role Player

There's no way that she's not getting at least a phone call at this point in the season from the AD just to check in on her. Only winning five games at this point in the season is pretty embarrassing. Youth can only blink be blamed on so much, I'm telling you.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #32
mr. basketball
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
She's already on the hot seat. No way she goes another year like this next season without getting fired or forcibly retired.
Do you think there is any chance of promoting Colton to HC should that happen? I certainly hope not but in this day and age you never know.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #33
Rbeam1
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
There's no way that she's not getting at least a phone call at this point in the season from the AD just to check in on her. Only winning five games at this point in the season is pretty embarrassing. Youth can only blink be blamed on so much, I'm telling you.
Castiglione was at the game today.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #34
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Baylor

Even Colton wouldn’t take the job from his mom — and Joe C. Would never offer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #35
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post

Absolutely correct. I just said the same thing on the other board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #36
mr. basketball
Walk-on

Every team has a bad year every once in a while but it seems like we are on a downhill spiral and are getting worse every year. Its bad the distance we have fallen from where we were not that many years ago. It seems that Sherri has totally lost her spark and the fire she used to have. Something has to be done to right the ship and if that means a whole new coaching staff let's go for it.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #37
sybarite
National Champion

If two of the three new recruits are effective in their first year, it will easily be enough to put this team over 500. Someone must emerge as the go-to player. Llanusa and Shaina have taken turns at times. But, it always seems to be just one or two with the other contributors having an off day. Today, Ana could do nothing right,, shoot, dribble, pass, or defend. Madi and Taylor did OK. Nydia did some good things. Some bad things.

It will help if Liz or Chloe can be effective on the inside. I haven't heard of a good inside transfer.

Baylor loses Brown. That is huge. They have excellent talent everywhere. But, Brown is the one that makes it difficult to deal with.

Iowa State loses Burkhall, Carlton, and Middleton as well as Nezerall. That bites. Kansas loses every starter. Kansas State loses Goth and Jones with no help on the horizon. Texas loses White who has been a thorn to us. TCU loses both Moore and Okonkwo. Tech only loses Sanders. OSU only loses their rebounder. West Virginia loses three starters, including the only player over 6-1 on the team. Most teams take a hit. We won't, unless someone transfers.

Rutgers was 6-24 in 2017. Stringer is still there. North Carolina's Sylvia Hatchell has been there for about twenty-five years. The last three years have been losing seasons (below 500). It happens.

I don't think Joe C is going to be this generation's Donnie Duncan. He isn't going to fire a Hall of Fame Coach because of her first non-appearance in the NCAA in 19 years. You don't let message board complainers guide you to stupid decisions. She isn't at a loss for motivation, and she would probably retire if she thought she couldn't compete. She doesn't like to lose.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #38
soonermom1000
Walk-on

+ 1
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #39
Speedy17
Role Player

The bright side is OU will move a little up in the RPI but SoonerSpock did not get his moral victory by a point. I say we give it to him.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #40
inoref
All-Conference

I'm sure Sherri & Colton will go home tonight and discuss ways to get better over a bowl of popcorn and a Coke.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #41
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I'm sure Sherri & Colton will go home tonight and discuss ways to get better over a bowl of popcorn and a Coke.
It ought to be a great discussion, OU had ten more turnovers (25) than FGs (15) today. I have never seen a basketball ratio like that one.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #42
OKUman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I wonder what game plan Sherri & Colton have come up with to offset the size and speed difference ?
Where do you come up with the “and Colton” like he has sway over the real coaches.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #43
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUman View Post
Where do you come up with the “and Colton” like he has sway over the real coaches.
Colton is an official Assistant Coach so he is a "Real Coach." It was one of Sherri's best moves ever.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:50 AM   #44
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I don't think Joe C is going to be this generation's Donnie Duncan. He isn't going to fire a Hall of Fame Coach because of her first non-appearance in the NCAA in 19 years. You don't let message board complainers guide you to stupid decisions. She isn't at a loss for motivation, and she would probably retire if she thought she couldn't compete. She doesn't like to lose.
I agree. But IMHO Sherri has been failing to do the job she set as the expectations for OU fans in her first decade as OU WBB coach. I think Sherri needs to get the problem fixed. But in my opinion it would take two more losing seasons after a discussion with Joe Castiglione before he would consider taking actions.

We as fans have been disappointed but you cannot forget Sherri's record the last 19 years. It includes 455 wins and only 191 losses (704 winning %), 6 conference championships or co-championships, 4 tournament championships, 6 Sweet 16's and 3 Final Fours. That cannot be forgotten or disregarded.

But another year in 2019-2020 like this year and I think she needs to be put on notice to get if fixed and soon or it is time to try another solution to run the program. But I think we need to realize it is probable that the desired fix is 3-5 years away.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-28-2019 at 12:57 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #45
Sooner81
Banned

Sherri has LOST it imo. I read on the OU website an interview with her after the game. She said how hard it was with Baylor’s being 6’5” and 6’7” and 6’3” inside - SHERRI YOU REXRUITED YOR TEAM AND THE SHORT SIZE, DON’T COMPLAIN. She also said how t=our turnovers hurt us - THAT’S COACHING AND YOU HAVE ALLOWED THAT FOR 20 YEARS. Duh is all I say to this, Sherri is making 1.2 million per year, imo the most over paid person in all businesses in the country. We could get a better entire staff for that amount. I loved her when she was at the top of her game but she is just riding it out and living on what she did in the past. OU needs to boot her out the door and start over. Can’t get any worse than this and we could save a lot of money.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #46
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

From the Associated Press...

Quote:
NORMAN — Her team won and probably will be ranked No. 1 this week, but Baylor coach Kim Mulkey seemed more pessimist than optimist after yet another Big 12 Conference road win.

Juicy Landrum scored 21 points, Kalani Brown added 20 and No. 2 Baylor extended its Big 12 winning streak to 30 games, rolling past Oklahoma 74-53 on Sunday.

Chloe Jackson added 10 points and eight assists and Lauren Cox had seven points and 12 rebounds for Baylor (17-1, 7-0 Big 12), which could move into the top spot in the AP Top 25 on Monday, since current No. 1 Notre Dame lost Sunday at North Carolina. Baylor also has won 30 straight road games against Big 12 teams.

Baylor did a lot of things right, perhaps most importantly, winning the rebounding battle 50-32. Mulkey fretted all the turnovers — 17 for Baylor, 25 for Oklahoma — that she thought turned the game into a slog.

“I’m going to try to be as positive as I can, but I’ve got to be honest — I would have turned the TV off watching this game today,” Mulkey said. “That was ugly. . It was hard for me to watch. I send out a ‘thank-you’ to the fans for staying and watching it. It just wasn’t pretty. Both teams are talented but it was a rough game today.”

Oklahoma (5-13, 1-6) has lost six straight games, the worst losing streak for the Sooners in more than two decades. Taylor Robertson scored 21 points for the Sooners, who struggled against Baylor’s size most of the game and posted a season low for points. Oklahoma hasn’t beaten Baylor since Feb. 27, 2015 and has lost eight straight games in the series.

“I thought we battled,” Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale said. “It’s hard to win when you give up 23 offensive boards. It’s hard to get offensive rebounds when they’re 6-7, 6-5, 6-3. Some of that is positioning and that’s on us. But part of it is, you’re doing your job and you just can’t contend with that size.”
Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #47
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner81 View Post
Sherri has LOST it imo. I read on the OU website an interview with her after the game. She said how hard it was with Baylor’s being 6’5” and 6’7” and 6’3” inside - SHERRI YOU REXRUITED YOR TEAM AND THE SHORT SIZE, DON’T COMPLAIN. She also said how t=our turnovers hurt us - THAT’S COACHING AND YOU HAVE ALLOWED THAT FOR 20 YEARS. Duh is all I say to this, Sherri is making 1.2 million per year, imo the most over paid person in all businesses in the country. We could get a better entire staff for that amount. I loved her when she was at the top of her game but she is just riding it out and living on what she did in the past. OU needs to boot her out the door and start over. Can’t get any worse than this and we could save a lot of money.
I saw that video as well and thought the same thing...she should have gone out and recruited some size and height for the post, but here's the thing. She's never done that before and the post players after Paris x 2 and A.Olajuwon were nowhere close to being as effective. The Paris' were dropped into the laps of OU and Olajuwon followed her friends. DRob followed them. They worked their butts off and were successful due to their passion and athletic ability because they were clearly under developed during their college years. Think about it...Olajuwon and the 2010 team went back to the FF and Olajuwon got very little playing time the three years prior. She stated in the media that she got better by practicing against C. Paris everyday. I don't think it was because she had the benefit of an OU coach helping her to develop. AND she has one of the all time greats as her father to help her. Thank goodness otherwise she would not have been ready to return to a FF.

Let's hope SC will be offered a position such as J. Conradt's at texas; Special Assistant. Sooner rather than later, no pun intended. Conradt and texas were smart enough to see the writing on the wall and continued to build on what had been established before sinking to the bottom of the conference, but they knew they could not use ten year old recruiting and developmental techniques. New blood was required. SC should continue to cultivate relationships in the community and fundraise...her protege'/son can go with her! Or he can do the smart thing if he really wants to coach and go get a real job that has not been laid in his lap where he will gain a more diversified view of what the job and responsibilities are really about.

The team can't get much worse than it is now. They should take these lemons and make some lemonade that does not include any SC ingredients. Maybe Jan Ross can be a liaison to the WBB program to keep some administrative procedures in place where the wheel is not broken. Bring in some new coaches that are doing great things. Start over and in 3-5 years, we might see fans back in the seats and some competitiveness on the court. With all that said...probably won't happen.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #48
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. basketball View Post
Box Score:
http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/5481906.pdf

Quote:
Attendance: 3478
Given the noticeable cheers each time Baylor made a basket, I presume a good number of those in attendance drove north from Waco.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #49
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
If two of the three new recruits are effective in their first year, it will easily be enough to put this team over 500. Someone must emerge as the go-to player. Llanusa and Shaina have taken turns at times. But, it always seems to be just one or two with the other contributors having an off day. Today, Ana could do nothing right,, shoot, dribble, pass, or defend. Madi and Taylor did OK. Nydia did some good things. Some bad things.

It will help if Liz or Chloe can be effective on the inside. I haven't heard of a good inside transfer.

Baylor loses Brown. That is huge. They have excellent talent everywhere. But, Brown is the one that makes it difficult to deal with.

Iowa State loses Burkhall, Carlton, and Middleton as well as Nezerall. That bites. Kansas loses every starter. Kansas State loses Goth and Jones with no help on the horizon. Texas loses White who has been a thorn to us. TCU loses both Moore and Okonkwo. Tech only loses Sanders. OSU only loses their rebounder. West Virginia loses three starters, including the only player over 6-1 on the team. Most teams take a hit. We won't, unless someone transfers.

Rutgers was 6-24 in 2017. Stringer is still there. North Carolina's Sylvia Hatchell has been there for about twenty-five years. The last three years have been losing seasons (below 500). It happens.

+!
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:37 AM   #50
soonermom1000
Walk-on

And Shaina played EIGHT minutes....Sat on the bench 30 minutes????? ONE field goal attempt.....SHE NEEDS TO PLAY MORE!!! At this stage of the game, I don't care if she turns it over, she also puts points on the board!!! We need all the offense we can get.....
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote