ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #3351
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
Great start to the season but not much competition. Next week should give Patti and staff things to work on during the season. We need to be playing our best in April, May and June rather than February.
We need to be playing very well in February too in addition to peaking April-June. Think back to 2016-2017 when OU was preseason ranked number 1 after winning the 2016 natty. We had loses to Auburn, Washington, Tennessee and Notre Dame in February and fell into the teens in the rankings and it took all season to get back in the top 8.

This February we have #1 FSU, #2 UCLA, #7 Arizona, Kentucky and Notre Dame, Cal State, Fullerton and Oregon State (3-1-19). Should we do poorly in 2-3 of those games we will again be fighting the rankings all season playing in the not so strong Big 12.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-11-2019 at 09:41 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #3352
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
We need to be playing very well in February too in addition to peaking April-June. Think back to 2016-2017 when OU was preseason ranked number 1 after winning the 2016 natty. We had loses to Auburn, Washington, Tennessee and Notre Dame in February and fell into the teens in the rankings and it took all season to get back in the top 8.

This February we have #1 FSU, #2 UCLA, #7 Arizona, Kentucky and Notre Dame, Cal State, Fullerton and Oregon State (3-1-19). Should we do poorly in those games we will again be fighting the rankings all season playing in the not so strong Big 12.
We aren't exactly a struggling team trying to stabilize a pitching staff and search for an extra outfielder from somewhere on the bench. In each of these games, I will be more than a little if we lose one, much less two.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #3353
SoonerinNC
Starter

Patty typically does a lot of shifting things around early in the season so I would not be suprised to see more than one or two losses going into Big 12 play.

The pitching seems to be very strong so far but we have yet to face a strong team.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 AM   #3354
SoonerinNC
Starter

Patty typically does a lot of shifting things around early in the season so I would not be suprised to see more than one or two losses going into Big 12 play.

The pitching seems to be very strong so far but we have yet to face a strong team.

And clearly, losing the early games caused us to be seeded so low one year we had to play a very top seeded team in the super regionals. I think it was against Alabama and we lost.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #3355
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Oklahoma Softball (5-0) ... Next 10 games

St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational
Thur, 2/14 .. Kentucky (3PM / ESPNU)
Thur, 2/14 .. Notre Dame (6PM / ESPN3)
Fri, 2/15 ... Florida Atlantic (9AM)
Fri, 2/15 ... Florida State (Noon / ESPNU)
Sat, 2/16 ... Hofstra (9AM / ESPN3)

Mary Nutter Classic / Palm Springs, California
Fri, 2/22 .. BYU (5:30 PM)
Fri, 2/22 .. UCLA (8PM)
Sat, 2/23 .. Arizona (Noon)
Sun, 2/24 .. Cal State Fullerton (11AM)
Sun, 2/24 .. UC Santa Barbara (1:30 PM)

.. All Times are Central Time (CT)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #3356
sybarite
National Champion

At first glance, this weekend's schedule looked daunting. The RPIs were #13, #38, #81, #1, and #18. But, Kentucky lost to Houston, Illinois, and Oklahoma State, and Notre Dame lost to Duke and North Carolina. Florida Atlantic lost to Indiana and Georgia, and Florida State won five weak games. Hofstra hasn't yet played. A field that looked like it would be about 18--2 is only 13-7. Kentucky was a huge disappointment.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #3357
SuperHoops
Role Player

I saw the Kentucky-OSU box score. OSU hit a pair of 2-run homers in the bottom of the seventh to come from behind and win 8-7. OSU's pitching appears to be soft again this year despite a couple of transfers but they should put up some runs.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #3358
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Just an interesting side note regarding ticket cost for softball. OU charges $250 for reserved season ticket and $10 per game for general admission seats. Our attendance averages about 1,800+. Georgia who is a top 10 program does not charge for attending their regular season home games. They average 1,500+. Florida charges appoximately the same as OU for their softball tickets and their attendance averages about 2,000.

The Georgia softball fans are getting a deal.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208802870

http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/547...B_OEM_ID=31000

https://georgiadogs.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

https://floridagators.com/documents/..._29_18_LSU.pdf

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-13-2019 at 03:10 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #3359
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

From Eric Bailey...

Quote:
Oklahoma
Record: 5-0

Looking ahead: Oklahoma will play five games at the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational. The highlight will be the Friday afternoon game against defending national champion Florida State. OU also will face Kentucky, Notre Dame, Florida Atlantic and Hofstra.

Looking back: The Sooners were perfect at the Grand Canyon University Kickoff Tournament, outscoring five opponents by a combined 44-2. Three of the victories were called after five innings because of run rule.

Notable: OU moved up one spot to No. 3 in the major softball weekly polls. … Junior Mariah Lopez was named the Big 12 pitcher of the week. She was 2-0 last weekend with two one-hit shutouts and double-digit strikeouts in both wins. … Jocelyn Alo (8-for-14) and Shay Knighten (4-for-7) had team-high .571 batting averages. .. Caleigh Clifton and Raegan Rogers had two home runs each.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #3360
sybarite
National Champion

Today:

3:00 Kentucky (2-3) ESPNU, KEBC

-----Live Stats: http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/...p?t=1&gid=okla

6:00 Notre Dame ESPN3, KEBC, Live stats at same site as for Kentucky

Kentucky lost to Illinois, Houston, and Oklahoma State in Houston. They beat Houston and Sam Houston State. Rocky start.

Notre Dame lost to Duke and South Carolina. But, they beat Washington and Liberty, Washington being about #3 at the time. In Puerto Vallarta.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #3361
BlackwellSooner
Starter

Anyone have a link for the OU-ND softball game on ESPN3?
BlackwellSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #3362
BlackwellSooner
Starter

OU vs ND is on ESPN3 now, OU leading 1-0

Link http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/34805...e-invitational
BlackwellSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #3363
sybarite
National Champion

OU won 9-1 over Kentucky in five and 6-2 over Notre Dame in regulation.

Lopez and Sailes against Kentucky. Juarez and Sailes against Notre Dame.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #3364
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

OU lost to FSU 4-7 seeing the effects of losing their top two pitchers (Parker and Lowary). Saile gave up 4 HR's getting the ball on too much of the white of the plate. Juarez allowed 1. OU allowed only 20 HR's in 62 games last year. The top competition in the Power 5 conference is slightly better hitters than the Conference USA hitters as Shannon learned today. She has to learn to keep the ball on the black of the plate.

FSU's freshman pitcher came in the 2nd inning and allowed only 1 run. FSU only left 1 runner on base.

OU offense is going to need every run their offense can generate this year. I expect the team era will be 0.50 higher than last years 1.12 era.

Also we have made 7 errors in 8 games YTD. Last year we made 22 for the 62 game season.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #3365
j2d2
All-American

Hitting I think will be our biggest weakness this year. We leave far too many people on base. We seem to be hitting much like we did in the latter part of last year.
Our pitcher's control wasnt particularly sharp today.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #3366
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

(2-16-2019) Sooners are batting in the top of the 2nd inning and are leading Hofstra 15-3.

So far, Sooners have 10 hits, including 5 home runs, with 2 outs in the top of the 2nd inning.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=254299

EDIT: After batting in the top of the 2nd inning, OU has 10 hits in 16 At-Bats. Big day to improve the batting averages.

Last edited by SoonerTraveler; 02-16-2019 at 10:09 AM.
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #3367
j2d2
All-American

Where were they when we needed them? The difference is pitching. Florida State pitchers were much superior and ours were slightly off yesterday. Hofstra pitchers were not as good.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #3368
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Oklahoma Softball (9-1) completes a successful trip to Florida, going 4-1 in the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational. Coach Gasso and her team likely learned a lot about the new pitching staff and other new players during the trip. Any season is a journey, and the key is to improve during the long journey. It will be interesting to see who ends up being the Ace of the pitching staff. Someone that struggles early in the season can end up excelling later on. We shall see.

RESULTS - St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational
WON 9-1 vs. #21 Kentucky
WON 6-2 vs. #24 Notre Dame
WON 4-0 vs. Florida Atlantic
LOST 4-7 vs. #2 Florida State (defending national champion)
WON 17-3 vs. Hofstra

Next 5 games ...

Mary Nutter Classic / Palm Springs, California
Fri, 2/22 .. BYU (5:30 PM)
Fri, 2/22 .. UCLA (8PM)
Sat, 2/23 .. Arizona (Noon)
Sun, 2/24 .. Cal State Fullerton (11AM)
Sun, 2/24 .. UC Santa Barbara (1:30 PM)

.. All Times are Central Time (CT)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #3369
womenssports
Starter

Just curious about Shay Knighten, because it looks as though she lost her first base position, as well as, being a starter as she is not usually the dp; is this due to injury, better players or other? Or maybe I am completely wrong but have checked several of the last box scores so do think there is a difference in Shay's PT from the past.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:18 AM   #3370
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Shay is still having great difficulty with her left knee and it is a lingering injury she has been living with for some time. I know she had knee surgery but don't know if it was on the left or right knee.

Shay is leading the team in B.A. with a .529 to lead the team at this time. But I think Patty is trying to save Shay for as many at bats as possible while keeping her being available for post season. It is a slippery slope Knighten is playing on.

The TV announcer noted that Shay was wearing sneakers instead of cleats to lessen the strain on her knee consequently losing a little power because of the loss of grip the cleats provide when she swings.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #3371
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Shay is still having great difficulty with her left knee and it is a lingering injury she has been living with for some time.

The TV announcer noted that Shay was wearing sneakers instead of cleats to lessen the strain on her knee consequently losing a little power because of the loss of grip the cleats provide when she swings.
It is also apparent that Coach Gasso sends in a pinch runner almost every time Shay gets on-base. That knee must be bad.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #3372
trusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
Just curious about Shay Knighten, because it looks as though she lost her first base position, as well as, being a starter as she is not usually the dp; is this due to injury, better players or other? Or maybe I am completely wrong but have checked several of the last box scores so do think there is a difference in Shay's PT from the past.
It also gives Grace Green invaluable experience at 1st base for the future. She’s a good hitter so it gives them more options on offense too.
trusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #3373
womenssports
Starter

I appreciate each of your responses. My impressions was that she was injured her Freshman and/or Sophomore year and since that there were times that her play was limited.

I hadn't looked at the overall stats so glad to hear AB is really good.

I had thought maybe it was to get Grace Green experience and maybe Shay would be playing more later when needed. It appears it is injury plus the latter...experience for Grace Green.

Shay was always a favorite because she seemed to have such a great attitude. I am wondering if she will be able to go pro? Later play in the Olympics? ANYWAY, thanks again.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #3374
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
I appreciate each of your responses. My impressions was that she was injured her Freshman and/or Sophomore year and since that there were times that her play was limited.

I hadn't looked at the overall stats so glad to hear AB is really good.

I had thought maybe it was to get Grace Green experience and maybe Shay would be playing more later when needed. It appears it is injury plus the latter...experience for Grace Green.

Shay was always a favorite because she seemed to have such a great attitude. I am wondering if she will be able to go pro? Later play in the Olympics? ANYWAY, thanks again.
s
With the length of time Shay has been injuried and the surgeries she has experienced I doubt that either the pros or Olympics would want to add a player that was not 100% physically and it appears that has passed for Shay. JMHO.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM   #3375
womenssports
Starter

Quote:
s
With the length of time Shay has been injuried and the surgeries she has experienced I doubt that either the pros or Olympics would want to add a player that was not 100% physically and it appears that has passed for Shay. JMHO.
That's too bad. I had no knowledge of the extent of her injuries or possibility of full recovery in time....maybe even a year off after graduation to rehabilitate and get stronger. I was hoping her bat might get her there, but really just no real knowledge, so am guessing you are right.