ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Transfers Coming? We lose next year’s class?

Pellington. I’ve got a feeling she’s gone after today’s playing time. I think Sherri is trying to run her off.

Robertson? (She could easily get a better gig now).

How about next year’s class. Defectors? Scott?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 01-27-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Default Re: Transfers Coming? We lose next year’s class?

once player sign a letter of intent is there any way they can get out of it? Or do they just have to wait to transfer the next school year? I was a college athlete but I ran track so the rules were different and it was over a decade ago..
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
soonermom1000
Walk-on

I certainly hope these girls don't transfer.......We need them.....But the way the "fans" cut them down on a daily basis, I wouldn't blame them if they did. But you all knew we were going to lose today.......So it is no shock and to lose by 20 points.....that's not bad....We lost to IA ST by more than that. I want to keep Sherri as a coach, but get a new coaching staff......They just don't seem to be doing their job, as these kids don't see much improvement on a yearly basis. When you have two seniors that see the bench more than the court, then there is a problem and it starts with the coach and their staff.
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
soonerstar
All-Conference

One person is responsible for this fiasco. It is not Colton or the other assistants. It is the person making 1.2 million dollars a year..
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermom1000 View Post
I certainly hope these girls don't transfer.......We need them.....But the way the "fans" cut them down on a daily basis, I wouldn't blame them if they did. But you all knew we were going to lose today.......So it is no shock and to lose by 20 points.....that's not bad....We lost to IA ST by more than that. I want to keep Sherri as a coach, but get a new coaching staff......They just don't seem to be doing their job, as these kids don't see much improvement on a yearly basis. When you have two seniors that see the bench more than the court, then there is a problem and it starts with the coach and their staff.
No one is cutting down players, they are upset by the coaching staff. I feel for players who are not getting playing time. Sherri does not want to get a new staff, she has proven this over and over. When you get to the point that you are hiring your son whose credentials are playing HS basketball, you have hit rock bottom.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
One person is responsible for this fiasco. It is not Colton or the other assistants. It is the person making 1.2 million dollars a year..

+1

Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Pellington. I’ve got a feeling she’s gone after today’s playing time. I think Sherri is trying to run her off.

Robertson? (She could easily get a better gig now).

How about next year’s class. Defectors? Scott?

Robertson isnt going anywhere. You see the video on her dad passing away and their love for OU.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Robertson isnt going anywhere. You see the video on her dad passing away and their love for OU.
That is a good thing, she can shoot the basketball.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
soonermom1000
Walk-on

Love watching Robertson play and when she shoots a three, I think they are all going in. She's got some basketball mentality....
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:19 AM   #10
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
once player sign a letter of intent is there any way they can get out of it? Or do they just have to wait to transfer the next school year? I was a college athlete but I ran track so the rules were different and it was over a decade ago..
Bru McCoy a 5* football athlete signed with USC's football team and enrolled at USC. USC then lost its new OC Kliff Kingsbury when he became the head coach of the NFL Arizona Cardinals. McCoy almost immediately indicated he was transferring and signed with Texas.

Current NCAA rules state he must stay at USC for a year but McCoy has indicated that he is appealing for a waiver to transfer immediately and play in the 2019 season because of the loss of his OC Kingsbury.

I think there are too many precedents to be set if the tranfer waiver is approved but it is the NCAA and Texas so anything could happen.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...mpus-next-week
Old 01-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Bru McCoy a 5* football athlete signed with USC's football team and enrolled at USC. USC then lost its new OC Kliff Kingsbury when he became the head coach of the NFL Arizona Cardinals. McCoy almost immediately indicated he was transferring and signed with Texas.

Current NCAA rules state he must stay at USC for a year but McCoy has indicated that he is appealing for a waiver to transfer immediately and play in the 2019 season because of the loss of his OC Kingsbury.

I think there are too many precedents to be set if the tranfer waiver is approved but it is the NCAA and Texas so anything could happen.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...mpus-next-week
I doubt McCoy gets a waiver. But it is also different, because he lost a coach. If Coale leaves or is fired, then the recruits can go anywhere with no penalty.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
Mac
Administrator

Back when Scott committed to OU she said even if she didn’t play basketball she would still want to go to OU... so I’m guessing she would stick even if there was a coaching change in the off season...
Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
I doubt McCoy gets a waiver. But it is also different, because he lost a coach. If Coale leaves or is fired, then the recruits can go anywhere with no penalty.
Lost a coach, Kingsbury never really was there.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermom1000 View Post
Agree 100%!!!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #15
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Mom1000

If the staff aren't doing their jobs (are getting away with not doing their jobs), then whose fault is that? It's on the head coach and the head coach always pays the price.

This team is going nowhere and we all know it. Players aren't good enough. Coaches certainly aren't good enough. Sherri is living on past glory.

Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that coaching changes from the top down need to be made.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

When players and coaches don't perform to expectation the fans are always going to be critical on a personal basis. It may not be ideal because this are just kids playing for fun and an education. But criticism goes with the territory and these kids know that from an early stage in their playing career as they read message boards too. Also criticism is never going away or lessen except as performance improves.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #17
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Let me add this:

Sherri set the bar for everyone’s expectations with her/the program’s prior outstanding success.

As with any sport, once the highest rung on the ladder has been reached at a school like Oklahoma, no one wants to fall back down the ladder ever.

Other highly successful OU coaches have paid the price for letting their programs slide into obscurity.

Why shouldn’t Sherri? Many think paying the bill is long overdue for her and her staff.

They all have been here two decades. They all have nice retirement accounts, I’m sure.

Sherri controls everything about this program until recently reportedly.

When you are Queen (or King), you are normally the one who get’s your head chopped off first.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #18
61sooner
Walk-on

Why doesn't Pellington start?
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 AM   #19
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
Why doesn't Pellington start?
Only thing I can think of is Sherri doesn't see her as a point guard, and prefers Ana and Taylor at the wing positions...

I think Taylor would make a better 6th man then starter, but that's just me. But a starting backcourt of Shay, Taylor, and Ana should be able to start and all 3 can share point guard duties....
Old 01-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
sybarite
National Champion

I don't think Shaina has ever shown a tendency to be a point. She seems only interested in her opportunities rather than creating opportunities for the team. Also, she may need to sit to watch and see what the other team is doing.

Tatum is the closest thing we have to a point. She tries to make some spectacular plays and screws up. Or, she can have the ball stolen from her while thinking about something else. She and Jessi are prime examples of freshmen who haven't learned that they aren't head and shoulders above their opposition in quickness and speed at this level. Get caught trying to be a highschool star. Learn not to foul.

Ana had a great game, showing what she can do. Since, she has had almost no handles. How many turnovers did she have in critical times last night? We really needed for her to show she was a soph.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 AM   #21
Soonerguy06
Role Player

See but that's the thing with SC players...they just don't improve. Or at least haven't for some time. Look at our seniors for example. You would think these players would get better from one season to the next, but they still make the same silly unforced errors year after year. I blame the coaches when I see this trend. And I'll say if I were a recruit, I'd look at the player development over the years and go with a program that makes their players better, not worse. I think our players might actually get worse after they get here.

I'm sad I can't look forward to games this season. I've even gotten to a point where I can only watch a couple quarters before I have to turn it off.

Why haven't we gotten even a little bit better as the season has pregressd? Could it be weve actually gotten worse? Who is to blame?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

To me Ana has consistently shown what she is. She is a top quality athlete that is not a top quality D-I basketball player. She has no consistency. In 2018 she shot 37% from the field, 26% BTA, had twice as many turnovers as assists (29 assist, 62 TO's) and averaged 4 boards a game.

This year she is shooting 29% from the field, 30% BTA, has almost 4 times as many turnovers as assist (7 assist, 25 TO's) and averages 2.7 boards a game.

Ana is what Ana is and that is much less than fans perceive. Hopefully she can develop some consistency. JMHO.