ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #76
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

Default Re: Trae Young summer league

I know it isn't nearly as fun for some of you because it involves a former Sooner having a good game but check out Cousins's box score from last night. He is playing with the Timberwolves in the Vegas summer league. I really would love to see him make a roster this season as a guy who can defend and make shots.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #77
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I know it isn't nearly as fun for some of you because it involves a former Sooner having a good game but check out Cousins's box score from last night. He is playing with the Timberwolves in the Vegas summer league. I really would love to see him make a roster this season as a guy who can defend and make shots.
Him and Hollis are my favorite all time Sooners. Really hope he can find a place somewhere, seems like TWolves with Thibs would be a great fit.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #78
coolm
National Champion

too bad Trae didnt just pound the snot out of Graysen Allen for pulling more of his crap. It is my hope someone breaks his jaw when he trips them and he gets kicked out of the NBA. I can't stand that guy.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #79
WaymanFan
Administrator

I see Trae had his first respectable game of the Summer League. He was 3-9 from 3-pt range (4-12 overall), but had an 11-3 assist-to-turnover rate and was +9 when in the game.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #80
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
I see Trae had his first respectable game of the Summer League. He was 3-9 from 3-pt range (4-12 overall), but had an 11-3 assist-to-turnover rate and was +9 when in the game.
Here is an article on that game ...

July 7, 2018 / The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Updated: Young better, but Hawks lose to Knicks

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketbal...zB6BH2CD0MZfO/

Quote:
The Hawks play their second preliminary round game against the Trail Blazers on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. on ESPN2.
That is today at 4:30 p.m. Central Time.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #81
steverocks35
All-Conference

I just watched Trae's summer league game against the Knicks and I would say that it was a more than respectable performance. For the first time Trae looked comfortable and in control on the court. He continuously made terrific on-time passes to open teammates. He diagnosed the defense several times and made the correct play that oftentimes turned into a basket, even if he didn't get the assist on the play. His shot selection was excellent and defense was adequate, he did not get abused on the defensive end. Several times he made highlight reel assists. Basically, these were the same passes he made last year at OU, the difference being his teammates at this level finished at a much higher rate. I think Trae is going to be an excellent pro (although I am admittedly biased so time will tell).
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #82
sperry
All-Conference

Trae will be a fine pro. My concern is that Doncic will be great and he'll just be remembered as the guy who got swapped for Doncic.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #83
steverocks35
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Trae will be a fine pro. My concern is that Doncic will be great and he'll just be remembered as the guy who got swapped for Doncic.
Or it could go the other way and Doncic is the next Darko Milicic
Old 07-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #84
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Or it could go the other way and Doncic is the next Darko Milicic
Doncic will be good, only question is how good.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #85
steverocks35
All-Conference

I know, I was joking...
Old 07-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #86
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Atlanta will also get a 1st round pick from that trade so that has to inevitably be part of the comparison. I'm not saying Doncic won't be great, but I remember the year Blake got drafted and there was all this buzz about the next great international can't-miss star named Rickey Rubio...and he turned out to be an average PG. You just don't know until laces come on.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #87
vbdad
Role Player

Seth Greenberg said Trae was easy for his teammates to play with in game 3. He said he wasn't the first two nights. He will continue to improve and adjust to the athleticism of the league.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #88
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Atlanta will also get a 1st round pick from that trade so that has to inevitably be part of the comparison. I'm not saying Doncic won't be great, but I remember the year Blake got drafted and there was all this buzz about the next great international can't-miss star named Rickey Rubio...and he turned out to be an average PG. You just don't know until laces come on.
doncic is so much better than rubio at the same age ...

he was the MVP of the second best league in the world as a 19 year old
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #89
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Seth Greenberg said Trae was easy for his teammates to play with in game 3. He said he wasn't the first two nights. He will continue to improve and adjust to the athleticism of the league.
He passed very well of picks & in transition, still lacks a lot though on the other end, getting to spots & turnovers.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #90
coolm
National Champion

Trae looked MUCH better today against Chicago. Of course I am saying this before the half - it could get ugly again.

He made early shots and the confidence translated to his passing game. Nice job of penetrating and dishing. He actually looked like a pro today. nice job!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #91
coolm
National Champion

6 minutes left and I'm gonna say this was easily trae's best game so far this summer. he actually made a couple of plays defensively and he played so much better running the team. vast improvement.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #92
coolm
National Champion

glory be! trae finally figured out to pitch the ball behind the double converging on him. it only took 6 games but he got it. it's probably an unfair criticism because I have the advantage of an objective perch. but he's gotta have better court awareness. just as I say that he hits his 7th trey. that will make up for many mistakes.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #93
thebigabd
National Champion

Very nice game for Trae... he will learn in the pros I think. If his shot isn't going down, just break down the defense and pass the ball and your teammates will make shots. Hopefully that minimizes his 2-13 shooting type games and makes him better.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #94
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

From the Associated Press...

Quote:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — It's been a bumpy ride for Atlanta Hawks point guard Trae Young, but he finally got his shot going.

The No. 5 overall pick out of Oklahoma scored 24 points and made 7 of 13 3-pointers to help the Hawks defeat the Chicago Bulls 101-93 on Tuesday in the Las Vegas Summer League.

Young looked like the player who led the nation in scoring and assists as a college freshman.

"I just try to play my game," he said. "I try to make the right plays, and if I see an opening, I'm going to knock it down or find my teammates. I'm just trying to get more into rhythm each and every game. I'm just trying to get better and progress and get better. That's my main thing. I think I'm headed in the right direction."

Young made just 12 of 52 shots in three summer league games in Utah, and before Tuesday, he had shot just 29 percent in two games Las Vegas. After showing signs of figuring things out with a 21-point, 11-assist performance against New York this past Saturday, he suffered a minor right quadriceps injury on Sunday against Portland. He seemed fine on Tuesday, playing a team-high 33 minutes.
Link
Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #95
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Do or do not...there is no try
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #96
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Do or do not...there is no try
Michael Jordan disagrees with you:

"I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

Gotta try first. And keep trying. Then, at some point, you succeed.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #97
coolm
National Champion

if at first you dont suck seed then keep trying until you do suck seed.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #98
22dupree
Walk-on

23 points and 8 assists for Trae in a win over Indiana. Had 5 assists in the 4th to help clinch the game. Well-done #11!
22dupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #99
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dupree View Post
23 points and 8 assists for Trae in a win over Indiana. Had 5 assists in the 4th to help clinch the game. Well-done #11!
he was dominate in the last 5 min to close out the win
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote