ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
zacj33
Walk-on

Default The Rest of 2017 Class

All that I ever hear about in this class is Trae Young, but barely anything about Brady Manek or Hannes Polla. What do you think the roles for each could be next year? With Manek being a local kid, I am sure many have seen him play. Can he help? Or does he need to get bigger first.
zacj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
BCSooners
Starter

Default Re: The Rest of 2017 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacj33 View Post
All that I ever hear about in this class is Trae Young, but barely anything about Brady Manek or Hannes Polla. What do you think the roles for each could be next year? With Manek being a local kid, I am sure many have seen him play. Can he help? Or does he need to get bigger first.
Manek needs to add at least 20 lbs & learn to play defense. I don't see him contributing this year but should be a good player in a few years.

Polla is big, that's all I know on him.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
coolm
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Manek needs to add at least 20 lbs & learn to play defense. I don't see him contributing this year but should be a good player in a few years.

Polla is big, that's all I know on him.
agreed ... although I dont ever count anyone completely out if they have excessive heart. Polla is a big booty down low. We need those.
coolm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator

Manek is surprisingly athletic and a very good shooter from the perimeter. It's true he needs to add a few pounds to his frame. But with his reputation as a hard worker and his high basketball IQ, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he finds a way to be part of our rotation by conference time. If he can make shots and defend, he'll play. I haven't seen enough of him on defense to say one way or the other.

I did say several weeks ago that if I was in Matt Freeman's shoes, I would be working my tail off this summer. Freeman has somewhat of an advantage in size, but Manek is quicker and more athletic. Their minutes may come down to the one who can make shots.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Larry72
Role Player

I am hoping there is another player coming in. We need help inside
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Chaser728
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Manek is surprisingly athletic and a very good shooter from the perimeter. It's true he needs to add a few pounds to his frame. But with his reputation as a hard worker and his high basketball IQ, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he finds a way to be part of our rotation by conference time. If he can make shots and defend, he'll play. I haven't seen enough of him on defense to say one way or the other.

I did say several weeks ago that if I was in Matt Freeman's shoes, I would be working my tail off this summer. Freeman has somewhat of an advantage in size, but Manek is quicker and more athletic. Their minutes may come down to the one who can make shots.
I agree with this assessment. If Kruger has shown anything it is that he rarely seems to red-shirt kids... I cannot think of many who guys who he made redshirt. Perhaps he hasn't had the flexibility to do this very often, but most of the guys with redshirt attached to their year in school typically did so due to transfer rules or they came in at semester like Freeman. Really McNeace is the only on the current squad I can think of...
Chaser728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
hoopsaustin
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser728 View Post
I agree with this assessment. If Kruger has shown anything it is that he rarely seems to red-shirt kids... I cannot think of many who guys who he made redshirt. Perhaps he hasn't had the flexibility to do this very often, but most of the guys with redshirt attached to their year in school typically did so due to transfer rules or they came in at semester like Freeman. Really McNeace is the only on the current squad I can think of...
ironically, the most recent redshirt was Dante Buford

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
Chaser728
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
My bad! I apparently have already dismissed him... whoops!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
True, but that was only because he didn't have any choice. He was caught in the middle of an academic squabble between the NCAA and the prep school he attended, Arlington County Day.

In other words, Dante Buford didn't do anything wrong. He was forced to sit out his first season at OU because he was the victim of a dispute.

Here's the story:

http://jacksonville.com/sports/high-...untry-day-ncaa
Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
TheGimper
Starter

Quote:
No, it was Matt Freeman.
TheGimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Staff wishes they would've RS odomes. He got in a funk and never got out.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
hoopsaustin
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimper View Post
No, it was Matt Freeman.
Oh ya but he was only a half semester right? Not a redshirt in the traditional sense

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #13
Chaser728
Role Player

Quote:
Oh ya but he was only a half semester right? Not a redshirt in the traditional sense
Yes. That is accurate
Old 05-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Chaser728
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Staff wishes they would've RS odomes. He got in a funk and never got out.
Man I wish that too...How does it work... If the guys insist that they don't want to redshirt does that have a large influence on their decision?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Man I wish that too...How does it work... If the guys insist that they don't want to redshirt does that have a large influence on their decision?

They have to balance the possibility of a kid mentally checking out and transferring. Unfortunately these kids all believe they are NBA bound, and a redshirt just doesn't line up with their self-images.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I remember OU had a loaded team one year and they redshirted Jason Detrick who would have been a senior just so they would have a better team the next season. He wasn't injured, young, or anything. It was specifically to have him for the next year because he was a good player buried on the depth chart.

Am I remembering that correctly?

Last edited by thebigabd; 05-17-2017 at 12:03 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I remember OU had a loaded team on year and they redshirted Jason Detrick who would have been a senior just so they would have a better team the next season. He wasn't injured, young, or anything. It was specifically to have him for the next year because he was a good player buried on the depth chart.

Am I remembering that correctly?
That is correct and the year after his redshirt year he wasn't nearly as good.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #18
pnkranger
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152219 View Post
That is correct and the year after his redshirt year he wasn't nearly as good.
He had to play a leadership role that year and just wasn't mentally set up for that. It hurt him.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
All-Conference

Just looked, Dertrick is still playing professional in Europe.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #20
Salt City Sooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
He had to play a leadership role that year and just wasn't mentally set up for that. It hurt him.
He also played with a pretty significant injury (groin, IIRC ). The guy had about a 12 inch vertical that year.

-John Wooden-
Salt City Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #21
zacj33
Walk-on

Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling that Manek is going to find a way on the court. He won't be a go to player or anything, but a 6'9 guy that can really shoot the ball will be hard to keep on the bench. He will gain weight quickly, but it may never look like it. I know he has been working out with JD Runnels since his season ended in order to be ready physically for the next level.
zacj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacj33 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have a feeling that Manek is going to find a way on the court. He won't be a go to player or anything, but a 6'9 guy that can really shoot the ball will be hard to keep on the bench. He will gain weight quickly, but it may never look like it. I know he has been working out with JD Runnels since his season ended in order to be ready physically for the next level.
Good info on Manek, zacj! I have heard some good things about JD Runnels as a trainer. He'll have Brady ready to go when the season starts.

I also agree with what you said about how hard it will be to keep him on the bench. That's why I predicted earlier that he wiil be part of our rotation by conference time.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #23
chuckb
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Good info on Manek, zacj! I have heard some good things about JD Runnels as a trainer. He'll have Brady ready to go when the season starts.

I also agree with what you said about how hard it will be to keep him on the bench. That's why I predicted earlier that he wiil be part of our rotation by conference time.
He also has the ability to handle the ball that I haven't seen from Freeman. I'd be surprised if he doesn't find a way on the court next season.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #24
WTSooner
National Champion

If we get the guy from Illinois State, along with Doolittle, Lattin, and McNease, there aren't going to be a ton of minutes for guys like Freeman and Manek.

I still don't buy that any of them (Doolittle, Illinois State guy, Freeman, or Manek) would be able to play the 3 next year. The game is getting smaller, not bigger.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #25
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Too bad this class couldn't get a big man like Texas just got...
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote