ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-31-2022, 10:21 PM   #26
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Default Re: KT Turner to Kentucky

He brought in Chargrois from SMU where he coached him. Collectively, the entire staff brought in lesser players. Goldwire and T Groves were the cream of the crop.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:28 PM   #27
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
He brought in Chargrois from SMU where he coached him. Collectively, the entire staff brought in lesser players. Goldwire and T Groves were the cream of the crop.
Apologies.

1 player
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:29 PM   #28
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaSooner View Post
You know literally ZERO about the coaching "business". You sit here and talk like you have some knowledge and all the answers. Dude..you Saud you wanted Hill as a small ball 5....zero credibility.
Do you think Tanner Groves can defend a 5 and rebound against a 5 better than Hill! The answer is no! Hill averaged more rebounds from the 4 than Groves did from the 5. In conference play, when the competition was better, Hill was definitely tougher defensively and on the glass than Groves.

Last edited by Seymore Cox; 05-31-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Seymore Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:36 PM   #29
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Apologies.

1 player
I agree. He didn’t bring in anyone good. Especially a local kid that OU offered the first time around.

Problem is the whole recruiting class was sub par. Patrick brought in Malwein and Marvin Johnson. T. Groves was a good signee, but you took his brother who’s not very good at all. Then you play him a bunch.

https://twitter.com/thetb5reports/st..._NTdrKJtIqbeIA

This is what one of the top recruiting guys in Texas is saying. He seems to be dropping a subtle hint about something.

Last edited by Seymore Cox; 05-31-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:58 AM   #30
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
I agree. He didnít bring in anyone good. Especially a local kid that OU offered the first time around.

Problem is the whole recruiting class was sub par. Patrick brought in Malwein and Marvin Johnson. T. Groves was a good signee, but you took his brother whoís not very good at all. Then you play him a bunch.

https://twitter.com/thetb5reports/st..._NTdrKJtIqbeIA

This is what one of the top recruiting guys in Texas is saying. He seems to be dropping a subtle hint about something.
Iím donít gonna disagree a little. There was some staff problems. Some are grinders and some arenítÖ

DP took 500k pay cut to be a head coach. Good for him.

Kt doesnít like to grind. Heís a salesman. Heís a WWW guy. Heís not there for player development. Which you alluded to be a ďnegativeĒ. Itís not. These guys know what they are brought in for. If you canít do that. What good are you?

The next 2 asst coach better buckle up.

1 is on staff Iíd guess.

1 needs to be Oklahoma Texas guy only. Kellen McCoy would love it. Kwanza Johnson would love it. Wade mason. Etc.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:29 AM   #31
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
I mean Kentucky vs OUÖ.

You do you. Kentucky is a career changer.
Please tell me about the awesome John Calipari coaching tree?

For a guy that has been around as long as he has, and had the success he has, his "tree" isn't overly impressive.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:30 AM   #32
WTSooner
National Champion

Anybody trying to spin this as anything other than a big loss is kidding themselves. Period. It's not debatable.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #33
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Anybody trying to spin this as anything other than a big loss is kidding themselves. Period. It's not debatable.
I think the bigger issue is Moser is creating a reputation as a guy you donít want to work with. Mike Sheppard quit during the season, one assistant takes a massive pay cut to leave, another assistant has been chasing job openings since the season ended, and Cade Davis turned down an opportunity to be the Ops Director to be a high school coach.

However, the role of assistant coaches who specialize in recruiting is different now. Kids are getting offered money. As of now, OU isnít offering money. So whoever you bring in is going to be at a disadvantage. This is why OU is losing out to Nee Mexico and Colorado State on transfers. Personally I donít think Gordon or Custer can get it done in recruiting. Lastly, they seem to be struggling in Oklahoma and Texas at the high school level.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #34
CoachTalk
National Champion

You guys find the negatives.

It’s not about Cal coaching tree. It’s about WWW connections.

Lucas left Texas for UK. UK calls, Duke calls, you go. These guys don’t care per say about the school. It’s the next gig. It’s the connection to Nike, Lakers, Knicks… etc

“Trees” don’t matter. It’s bigger than that. You’re out of touch with how these things work now. Why are guys like K, Roy, Jim b soon.

Times are changing.

It is debatable. You’re clueless if you think uk and Ou are the same.

OU does offer money. If you think they don’t. You really have no clue.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #35
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
You guys find the negatives.

Itís not about Cal coaching tree. Itís about WWW connections.

Lucas left Texas for UK. UK calls, Duke calls, you go. These guys donít care per say about the school. Itís the next gig. Itís the connection to Nike, Lakers, KnicksÖ etc

ďTreesĒ donít matter. Itís bigger than that. Youíre out of touch with how these things work now. Why are guys like K, Roy, Jim b soon.

Times are changing.

It is debatable. Youíre clueless if you think uk and Ou are the same.

OU does offer money. If you think they donít. You really have no clue.
Agreed on the UK, Duke, and UNC when they call bit.

I hope OU offers money at this point, if not. Woof.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #36
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #37
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. Why is it such a big loss? Losing Steve Henson was a big loss. About 20 years ago when Kelvin lost Jason Rabedeaux, I thought that was a big loss. How does KT Turner compare to those two?

Off topic, I know you live in the Tulsa area, as do others on this Board. My hearts and prayers are with the families of those killed in another senseless shooting :-(.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #38
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
Wade Mason got fired for fighting a coach at halftime of a game this year. Heís turned himself into a twitter warrior which makes him look like a better coach than he is.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:39 PM   #39
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 06-02-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:53 AM   #40
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Okay, I'll bite. Why is it such a big loss? Losing Steve Henson was a big loss. About 20 years ago when Kelvin lost Jason Rabedeaux, I thought that was a big loss. How does KT Turner compare to those two?

Off topic, I know you live in the Tulsa area, as do others on this Board. My hearts and prayers are with the families of those killed in another senseless shooting :-(.
I plan to let the rest of this offseason play out (ie, transfers and filling the staff), and I'll give an overview of the program as a whole.

That said, my two biggest concerns with the Moser hire were a) his offense, and b) his ability to recruit.

I was very impressed with the staff he put together the first year, and that lessened my worries about recruiting. I'm not really going to judge the staff by what they were able to do recruiting-wise in 12-15 months, but those guys had a history of being good recruiters, and we lost both of them. Patrick had all of the overseas connections. Turner was the Texas guy.

Fans on this board were ECSTATIC for both when hired. We (you guys) don't get to downplay that a year later when they leave.

Honestly, I'm going to guess I'm a lot less impressed with the recruiting chops of the two coaches we hire to replace them. Hope I'm wrong. And we've already seen struggles in recruiting. YES, despite landing the 3 freshman in the 2022 class and some solid transfers. Especially inside.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, pretty much the only good teams Moser has had in his entire coaching career, Cameron Krutwig was the starting center on those teams. He has yet to prove he can build a good team with Krutwig as his starting center.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:54 AM   #41
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:

Thank you for this!
Old 06-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #42
NorthCarolinaSooner
Role Player

Quote:

False.

Whether you like it or not..there are certain guys brought in to recruit PERIOD. They offer minimal help in most other areas. That is simply the facts. KT Turner's supposed "strength" were his recruiting ties....he brought in one guy and spent the majority of the off-season looking for a job elsewhere. Anyone who spins THAT into "irreplaceable " is fooling themselves.

Last edited by NorthCarolinaSooner; 06-02-2022 at 08:56 AM.
NorthCarolinaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:24 AM   #43
NorthCarolinaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Wade Mason got fired for fighting a coach at halftime of a game this year. Heís turned himself into a twitter warrior which makes him look like a better coach than he is.
Here is something you and I agree with. It is also something I have had multiple discussions with other coaches about (I coach and have for almost 25 years). A LOT of young coaches are really good at building themselves up on Twitter and social media. They make themselves look like the next coming and really aren't great coaches....they are great marketers. There is a huge difference.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:34 AM   #44
NorthCarolinaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Do you think Tanner Groves can defend a 5 and rebound against a 5 better than Hill! The answer is no! Hill averaged more rebounds from the 4 than Groves did from the 5. In conference play, when the competition was better, Hill was definitely tougher defensively and on the glass than Groves.

First off.....Hill averaged less rebounds per game than Groves. It wasn't by much but he averaged less. Worse, you think that qualifies as your baseline.

I think Hill is more athletic than Groves but that doesn't mean much. We are better off waiting and seeing if Godwin or Northweather can be that backup. In a perfect world Hill wouldn't even be our starting 4.

I'd love to get a athletic, aggressive guy who can mix it up to play inside but it doesn't look like that is coming this year.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:16 AM   #45
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
False.

Whether you like it or not..there are certain guts brought in to recruit PERIOD. They offer minimal help in most other areas. That is simply the facts. KT Turner's supposed "strength" were his recruiting ties....he brought in one guy and spent the majority of the off-season looking for a job elsewhere. Anyone who spins THAT into "irreplaceable " is fooling themselves.
Give me an effing break. The guy was here for one year. Hardly enough time to form some really solid opinion on how he would recruit at OU. And while others might get the credit for some of our other recruits, I guarantee he was involved. And his "one" was pretty good, no?

You are right, if he wasn't happy and he was looking to leave, it's better for both parties that he leave. But to suggest losing one of the best recruiters of Texas isn't a big deal, well, that is nonsense. Turner's rep got him hired at Kentucky. But sure, not a big loss.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #46
NorthCarolinaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Give me an effing break. The guy was here for one year. Hardly enough time to form some really solid opinion on how he would recruit at OU. And while others might get the credit for some of our other recruits, I guarantee he was involved. And his "one" was pretty good, no?

You are right, if he wasn't happy and he was looking to leave, it's better for both parties that he leave. But to suggest losing one of the best recruiters of Texas isn't a big deal, well, that is nonsense. Turner's rep got him hired at Kentucky. But sure, not a big loss.
He hasn't done anything at OU to be considered a big loss....thats my point. Chargois was decent...I'll give you that...but that is the only SIGNIFICANT guy you could point to and say "yea, that was like KT's guy".

Other than that, the majority of rumors you hear were that he didn't like the grind....thats fine...and I don't know for sure but I heard it from guys who likely WOULD know.. what we, as fans, DO know is his name kept popping up for other jobs. If that is the case, how hard was he really working here?

Pick any business you want....if you "ace" employee isn't bought in and is looking at every avenue they have to leave then what are they truly doing for you?

That 12+ months he put in didn't really produce huge results for OU...that is what makes me say it was a loss but not a catastrophic loss by any stretch.

I'd rather replace him with someone that will start helping get the kids right here in Oklahoma...we keep missing out on solid D1 kids. That is a tragedy.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:07 AM   #47
TINY
All-American

Quote:

And yet you are forming an opinion that it is a huge loss. It isn’t. I didn’t hear 1 recruit mention his name like I have heard Dildy’s or Patrick’s name repeatedly. We could probably get better returns in recruiting by hiring Kellen McCoy, given his AAU influence.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #48
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:

I didnt pay attention to assistant coaches back during kelvin days so i googled this Rab guy. You ever seen his story?

http://http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12636370/former-utep-coach-jason-rabedeaux-death-remains-mystery
Old 06-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #49
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
False.

Whether you like it or not..there are certain guys brought in to recruit PERIOD. They offer minimal help in most other areas. That is simply the facts. KT Turner's supposed "strength" were his recruiting ties....he brought in one guy and spent the majority of the off-season looking for a job elsewhere. Anyone who spins THAT into "irreplaceable " is fooling themselves.
Well it isn't about losing what he did in one year...it is about losing what he could have done going forward.

It is a big loss
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #50
Soonerb98
Walk-on

Good point Soonerbounce! Although, you can question how much impact he was going to have if he had one foot out the door.

You hear pretty often that it takes time for a new coach to pay off on the recruiting trail because he has to establish relationships with recruits. If that's still true in the NIL era, it concerns me that we're turning over such a large % of our staff 1 year after a complete reset, regardless of how good of a coach KT is (or isn't).
Soonerb98 is offline   Reply With Quote