ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-04-2022, 06:02 AM   #26
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Default Re: Title odds for 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I'm with you Ada. I have nothing personal against this fella, but he pretty much brings it on himself. I think UNC is certainly among a handful of favorites to win it all next year....but they certainly are NOT "easily the favorite". I don't know why it couldn't have been stated that way.
I don't understand why they shouldn't be easily the favorite. Usually when a team returns 4 out of 5 starters from a National Championship game, they're easily the favorite. That's usually how this works. Unless something changed where some random team gets a team full of rando player(s) from Murray Valley State that averaged 20 PPG in bad conference and is now the second coming of Michael Jeffrey Jordan.

Last edited by TarheelstateSooner; 06-04-2022 at 06:07 AM.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #27
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelstateSooner View Post
I don't understand why they shouldn't be easily the favorite. Usually when a team returns 4 out of 5 starters from a National Championship game, they're easily the favorite. That's usually how this works. Unless something changed where some random team gets a team full of rando player(s) from Murray Valley State that averaged 20 PPG in bad conference and is now the second coming of Michael Jeffrey Jordan.
I think you donít understand how odds work. Even going into an ncaa tournament, whichever team has the best odds of winning the title is still probably 5/1 longshots to win. So to say a team that spent the vast majority of the season earning an 8-seed is the easy favorite just isnít right, no matter how hot they got for three weeks.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:57 AM   #28
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think you donít understand how odds work. Even going into an ncaa tournament, whichever team has the best odds of winning the title is still probably 5/1 longshots to win. So to say a team that spent the vast majority of the season earning an 8-seed is the easy favorite just isnít right, no matter how hot they got for three weeks.
And again, clearly fails to recognize that the one starter they did lose was one of if not the the main reasons they were that hot during that stretch. They most likely donít beat Baylor without him (and almost didnít in the second half), they donít beat Duke multiple times without him and other games as well. The other guys played well at times but Manek played out of his mind offensively in a lot of those games allowing them to win games they didn't win most of the regular season. Obviously other teams are filling spots as well but until we see what North Carolina plugs that big hole with, there is no way to say they are an Ďeasy favoriteí for next year. Any other opinion at this point is clearly biased.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #29
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
because they played better in the short NCAA run then they did during the 30 game season ...

players are what they are over a long period not 1 game ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:02 AM   #30
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick008 View Post
And again, clearly fails to recognize that the one starter they did lose was one of if not the the main reasons they were that hot during that stretch. They most likely donít beat Baylor without him (and almost didnít in the second half), they donít beat Duke multiple times without him and other games as well. The other guys played well at times but Manek played out of his mind offensively in a lot of those games allowing them to win games they didn't win most of the regular season. Obviously other teams are filling spots as well but until we see what North Carolina plugs that big hole with, there is no way to say they are an Ďeasy favoriteí for next year. Any other opinion at this point is clearly biased.
Yeah, because Bacot beating David Robinson's Double-Double record didn't make him the best player on the team or anything Manek was damn good, but to say he was other wordly when Bacot was clearly the best player in the Tournament is interesting.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:03 AM   #31
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
because they played better in the short NCAA run then they did during the 30 game season ...

players are what they are over a long period not 1 game ..
Yeah, Bacot broke David Robinson's record for Double-Doubles in the NCAA Tournament but yet you talked crap about him and constantly brought up his FG percentage.

I'm starting to see a trend with you I don't necessarily care for. You think Roy Williams and Dean Smith (I actually won't argue with him) did "less with more." But Roy Williams won 3 Titles in less than 15 years at UNC. So yeah. You got some hatred in your heart, and it's pretty clear. Let it out man. LET IT OUT.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:16 AM   #32
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Yeah, Bacot broke David Robinson's record for Double-Doubles in the NCAA Tournament but yet you talked crap about him and constantly brought up his FG percentage.

I'm starting to see a trend with you I don't necessarily care for. You think Roy Williams and Dean Smith (I actually won't argue with him) did "less with more." But Roy Williams won 3 Titles in less than 15 years at UNC. So yeah. You got some hatred in your heart, and it's pretty clear. Let it out man. LET IT OUT.
FG % is a huge part of what makes a player good ...

it is why Bacot and Love are still in college ..
Old 06-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #33
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
FG % is a huge part of what makes a player good ...

it is why Bacot and Love are still in college ..
I hate defending Tarhell, but Bacot shot 57% from the field last year. 13 rebounds + 1.7 blocks. He was physically dominant all year ... but improved in the tournament. He has one of the highest player efficiency ratings in college basketball at 29.1 last year. Grant Sherfield, as a comparison, had a 19.1. Brady Manek was a 22 -- VERY VERY Good, but not at the level of dominance Bacot demonstrated.

As long as Bacot is anchoring UNC, they are going to be a solid pick to win it all again.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:45 AM   #34
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
I hate defending Tarhell, but Bacot shot 57% from the field last year. 13 rebounds + 1.7 blocks. He was physically dominant all year ... but improved in the tournament. He has one of the highest player efficiency ratings in college basketball at 29.1 last year. Grant Sherfield, as a comparison, had a 19.1. Brady Manek was a 22 -- VERY VERY Good, but not at the level of dominance Bacot demonstrated.

As long as Bacot is anchoring UNC, they are going to be a solid pick to win it all again.
in the final 4 he shot under 30% (26%) one of the big reasons UNC lost

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 06-09-2022 at 11:47 AM.