ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-02-2022, 12:46 PM   #51
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: KT Turner to Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
I didnt pay attention to assistant coaches back during kelvin days so i googled this Rab guy. You ever seen his story?

http://http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12636370/former-utep-coach-jason-rabedeaux-death-remains-mystery
I read Rab’s story—glad I did in a way, but I hated the way it ended. What a waste of a likable young man with a bright future. The story made me sad, yet it was so well written I couldn’t stop reading it.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #52
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Well it isn't about losing what he did in one year...it is about losing what he could have done going forward.

It is a big loss
If the common folk like us know he has had his foot out the door, I assure you recruits did as well.

This isnt a big loss. It would be if he was 100% in and on top of every croot. Which just simply wasnt the case.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:26 PM   #53
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I read Rab’s story—glad I did in a way, but I hated the way it ended. What a waste of a likable young man with a bright future. The story made me sad, yet it was so well written I couldn’t stop reading it.
Same. Made me late to work
Old 06-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #54
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
If the common folk like us know he has had his foot out the door, I assure you recruits did as well.

This isnt a big loss. It would be if he was 100% in and on top of every croot. Which just simply wasnt the case.
yeah, that goes without saying i suppose
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:59 PM   #55
NorthCarolinaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Well it isn't about losing what he did in one year...it is about losing what he could have done going forward.

It is a big loss

Patrick was a bigger loss.
Turner was trying to leave immediately....so no...not a huge loss. He wasn't bought in here...plain and simple.
NorthCarolinaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:36 PM   #56
BCSooners
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaSooner View Post
Patrick was a bigger loss.
Turner was trying to leave immediately....so no...not a huge loss. He wasn't bought in here...plain and simple.
Exactly how I feel. I never liked the hire anyways. Anyone who can go from UT to OU or vice versa is a red flag for me.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:12 PM   #57
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I just read it after seeing your comment. Very tragic and sad.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #58
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
I didnt pay attention to assistant coaches back during kelvin days so i googled this Rab guy. You ever seen his story?

http://http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12636370/former-utep-coach-jason-rabedeaux-death-remains-mystery
I either posted that article shortly after he died, or something similar. No doubt the guy was a train wreck after he left OU...but he was a big part of our early 21st century success. Right after we lost him to UTEP (as head coach), we lost another great assistant in Ray Lopes (to UNLV). Neither of those guys were successful as head coaches, but they were a big part of Kelvin's success at OU. My point from the previous post is that KT Turner doesn't rate compared to guys like them or Steve Henson. I know he was only here for one year, but would like to think he would have at least created "some value" that would warrant us to think it was a big loss.

BTW, we only had Rod Barnes as an assistant for one year, but he left a great impression on me with his defense. It was Coach Capel's first year, and oddly enough, had a similar talent level to this year's OU team...but that one season Barnes was there, OU had a better defense than they did the next two years when Blake Griffin was there. As such, it is possible for a one-year assistant to make an impact.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #59
CMSOONER
All-Conference

Turner was to Moser what Oronde Taliaferro was to Capel. Their main job was to recruit and bring in the best players possible. If Turner was dedicated he definitely could have provided value to the program. However in the year that he was here he provided almost nothing. On the flip side Talifaerro brought in good talent but cheated and got the program in trouble.

Last edited by CMSOONER; 06-03-2022 at 12:05 PM.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote