ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Default Jim Molinari new Hire?

Per a couple sources. Former Bradley and Western Illinois head coach. Last season was an assistant at Nebraska
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
NAIA All-Star
All-Conference

Default Re: Jim Molinari new Hire?

That would be underwhelming.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
CoachTalk
Final Four

He'd be a defensive minded coach. I could get with it.

Several D1 schools are hiring a "def cord" on staff.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
That would be underwhelming.
I get that some will never be happy but why would this be underwhelming? The BIGGEST complaint about Kevin was his lack of experience. This guy knocks that out of the park having playing experience (with Kruger) and also coaching/scouting for the last 30+ years.

On top of that, as some have noted, he’s known for his ability to coach defense which a ton of people have also complained about.

Keep in mind this would be for the 3rd assistant coach position. I feel like Kruger looked at a check list of “needs” for the staff and crossed off experience and defense with this hire (if it happens) which again have been two of the biggest complaints of this board the last 3 years and yet it’s underwhelming...
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Experienced coach. 64 years old. He was a teammate with Coach Kruger for at least one season at Kansas State back in the 1970s.

Nebraska Biography
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209461219

Wiki Biography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Molinari

Elected to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association Hall of Fame
https://www.pjstar.com/sports/201712..._medium=social

Old 04-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
sanguinetti
Role Player

Miles did a decent to arguably pretty good job by NU standards historically....makes some sense there would be some good coaches on his staff who are now unemployed.

i get the Bugeaters had to make a move for Hoiberg, i guess you have to....but, seems like a solid hire for Lon and the Sooners.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick008 View Post
I get that some will never be happy but why would this be underwhelming? The BIGGEST complaint about Kevin was his lack of experience. This guy knocks that out of the park having playing experience (with Kruger) and also coaching/scouting for the last 30+ years.

On top of that, as some have noted, he’s known for his ability to coach defense which a ton of people have also complained about.

Keep in mind this would be for the 3rd assistant coach position. I feel like Kruger looked at a check list of “needs” for the staff and crossed off experience and defense with this hire (if it happens) which again have been two of the biggest complaints of this board the last 3 years and yet it’s underwhelming...
+1
Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post
Per a couple sources. Former Bradley and Western Illinois head coach. Last season was an assistant at Nebraska
And youve got sources if true...

I heard he was down to 3 guys but couldnt get names on any...
Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
thebigabd
National Champion

This sounds like a total home run to me. Former head coach, defensive minded, veteran. I dig it.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
This sounds like a total home run to me. Former head coach, defensive minded, veteran. I dig it.
You and I agree! I repeat, you and I agree!! Not that we haven’t before, I’m just messin with ya
Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post
good stuff thanks
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #12
WTSooner
National Champion

Would have preferred a younger "voice" on the staff, but this is Lon's team, the 3rd assistant isn't going to make a huge impact either way.

Staff ages:
LK - 66
Crutchfield - 49ish?
Hartman - 46
Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Would have preferred a younger "voice" on the staff, but this is Lon's team, the 3rd assistant isn't going to make a huge impact either way.

Staff ages:
LK - 66
Crutchfield - 49ish?
Hartman - 46
So when you say “younger” are you talking 30’s? And are you saying this based on recruiting? We had a younger guy on staff that no one liked due to the lack of experience and claimed he didn’t do anything.

The other problem about “younger” assistants in my opinion is they are always looking to move up to the next best thing in order to better their career and ultimately be a head coach. The guy now at UNLV is that type in my opinion. Was known as a dynamite recruiter for Iowa St. Left to take over South Dakota St. then UNLV for next year.

Otherwise, I think you’ll run into the same “lack of experience” issue we had the past few years. Hopefully that makes sense?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
thebigabd
National Champion

I think it was pretty well known that Bob Hoffman was an outstanding assistant coach, and he was no spring chicken. I want some real basketball coaches, not just professional recruiters. OU wins by developing players, not by being Kentucky and getting professional talent every year.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:

Staff ages:
LK - 66
Crutchfield - 49ish?
Hartman - 46
Shocked...

Kevin was the demise of this team, but this 3rd assistant isnt going to make a huge impact... (not you specifically)

Moving that goal post again...
Old 04-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
So when you say “younger” are you talking 30’s? And are you saying this based on recruiting? We had a younger guy on staff that no one liked due to the lack of experience and claimed he didn’t do anything.

The other problem about “younger” assistants in my opinion is they are always looking to move up to the next best thing in order to better their career and ultimately be a head coach. The guy now at UNLV is that type in my opinion. Was known as a dynamite recruiter for Iowa St. Left to take over South Dakota St. then UNLV for next year.

Otherwise, I think you’ll run into the same “lack of experience” issue we had the past few years. Hopefully that makes sense?
30's, or even late 20's in the right situation.

And sure, for recruiting, but also just to have a more relatable person on staff. I don't care how cool or hip Hartman or Crutch are, there is a pretty big age/generational gap there. The football team has a guy like Chip Viney that everybody loves and buddies up to. Seems like the basketball team could also benefit from such a voice/person. I hear players talking about it all the time. Most recently in regards to Kellen Sampson. Just nice for the placers to have a more relatable personality on staff in a lot of cases.

As for Kevin Kruger, I never spoke a single disparaging word about him. I think trying to blame him alone for the mess of the past three years is disingenuous at best.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:06 AM   #17
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Shocked...

Kevin was the demise of this team, but this 3rd assistant isnt going to make a huge impact... (not you specifically)

Moving that goal post again...
If you are going to comment that I wasn't the one blaming Kevin, then how exactly can I move the goal post?

Lame.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #18
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
I think it was pretty well known that Bob Hoffman was an outstanding assistant coach, and he was no spring chicken. I want some real basketball coaches, not just professional recruiters. OU wins by developing players, not by being Kentucky and getting professional talent every year.
There is a middle ground. We need to stop recruiting crap-talent that will never contribute in a meaningful way.

How many 4* recruits does OSU have never year? How about OU? Absolutely zero reason for that. I'm not saying recruiting is the end-all be-all, but dang, can we stop with the kids that have no business being on the roster? Can we stop with SO MANY projects? I have no idea if a younger coach would recruit better necessarily, but experience on the staff was not an issue the past three years. Lon, Crutch, and Hartman all have PLENTY of experience.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #19
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
30's, or even late 20's in the right situation.

And sure, for recruiting, but also just to have a more relatable person on staff. I don't care how cool or hip Hartman or Crutch are, there is a pretty big age/generational gap there. The football team has a guy like Chip Viney that everybody loves and buddies up to. Seems like the basketball team could also benefit from such a voice/person. I hear players talking about it all the time. Most recently in regards to Kellen Sampson. Just nice for the placers to have a more relatable personality on staff in a lot of cases.

As for Kevin Kruger, I never spoke a single disparaging word about him. I think trying to blame him alone for the mess of the past three years is disingenuous at best.
I get where you are coming from for the “relatable” aspect but I’m not sure that matters all that much in most situations. I’ve heard many recruits in my lifetime talk about the relationships they have with many a coaches that are a lot older as well. I personally think that depends more on the recruit and isn’t a deal breaker for a guy to play for that school. As far as the age thing goes. I would rather have a coach that can develop players on and off the court more than a guy they see as a buddy

I wasn’t saying you blamed anything on Kruger specifically. The consensus of this board is that Kevin Kruger was a large part of the issues with this team and Hartman as well. I personally think Molinari would be a good hire for the reasons I stated earlier mainly his experience and defensive mindset.

I also could see Crutch or Hartman moving on in the next year or two and opening up another opportunity to bring in a younger up and comer.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #20
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
There is a middle ground. We need to stop recruiting crap-talent that will never contribute in a meaningful way.

How many 4* recruits does OSU have never year? How about OU? Absolutely zero reason for that. I'm not saying recruiting is the end-all be-all, but dang, can we stop with the kids that have no business being on the roster? Can we stop with SO MANY projects? I have no idea if a younger coach would recruit better necessarily, but experience on the staff was not an issue the past three years. Lon, Crutch, and Hartman all have PLENTY of experience.
Preaching to the choir man... I try to point that out all the time, and it causes a fury of emotions on the board if you dare question the recruiting practices of this staff.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #21
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Preaching to the choir man... I try to point that out all the time, and it causes a fury of emotions on the board if you dare question the recruiting practices of this staff.
I will give you credit, you crack me up Hardly ANYONE on here would argue the fact that Kruger goes after WAY too many projects for our liking lol it’s the fact that you throw out JUCOs as a way to replace those projects 99% of the time, when little to nothing is known whether or not they would really be any better. And at that point you usually only have 2 years instead of 4 with them. If you pointed out another HS player every once in a while that you would take a shot with other than just the best Juco prospect from Arkansas that everyone else is also after, I don’t think you would get a lot of the back lash you do. Just my opinion
Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #22
WaymanFan
Administrator

I like the hire (assuming that is the guy hired)...believe Coach Kruger needs a voice in those coaches meetings to point out some of the things the players are doing wrong...something a much younger assistant is less likely to do. That said, WTSooner is correct in that younger players will often relate better to younger coaches. It's no secret people are more likely to relate well to others in their age group than someone noticeably older or younger...but I still like the hire.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
you throw out JUCOs as a way to replace those projects 99% of the time, when little to nothing is known whether or not they would really be any better.
And then, when it's pointed out that one of those jucos he praised to the skies was statistically speaking little better than an OU player he had trashed, he makes the head-spinningly specious claim that the poor li'l juco transfer should be given a break because he had never played college basketball before.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #24
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
And then, when it's pointed out that one of those jucos he praised to the skies was statistically speaking little better than an OU player he had trashed, he makes the head-spinningly specious claim that the poor li'l juco transfer should be given a break because he had never played college basketball before.
Yeah and I get that but what I’m saying is IF he pointed out a HS recruit that averaged 20 and 10 from some school and is a 3 star recruit but listed at 6’9 230 instead of 6’9 185 like a lot of the guys OU has recruited lately and said that they could focus JUST on the basketball side of things instead of “gaining weight and muscle” first then again, I don’t think he’d catch as much backlash.

Instead of the old narrative of finding a guy after the fact, that transferred from a JUCO and averaged 12 and 8 at a school comparable to OU and bashing OU for not even offering

My original point to him is that it’s that MOST of the board does agree that OU needs to stop “reaching” so much for guys that could have potential once they actually get to a size that can handle the game at this level. Find me a cam lard that is already physically ready to bang instead of needing 2 years to get there....
Old 04-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #25
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Not to derail this thread, but if you can't understand the difference between a person playing their first year of college basketball vs a player who was a senior... and if you also refuse to acknowledge that one of these guys was the 4th best shooter in the conference and the other was practically unplayable once the competition got harder, there just isn't anywhere else we can go with this discussion.

I mean, the guy you are fighting with me about hit 1 three point shot in his last 22 games at OU... And he was a senior... and that shot came in a 30 point loss to Baylor.

By your logic.... Miles Reynolds is just as good as Quentin Grimes from Kansas then... Their numbers are similar.... OU wouldn't have been any better with him than with Miles... Yep, no talent difference. Except one is going to the NBA and the other was unplayable...Lets see here... Oh yes, Miles Reynolds is significantly better than Jamal Bienemy, right? Reynolds averaged more points... Had nothing to do with Reynolds being a senior and Bienemy being a first year player. Reynolds is clearly better! Right skyvue????? RIGHT!!!

Defend it. Please try to defend your position on this again.