ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
CoachTalk
Final Four

Default Article on Reaves

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04/...mpact-sooners/
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
cowboysooner
Starter

Default Re: Article on Reaves

Good catch Coach. A nice read. Kids usually play better when they are comfortable with the system. Excited to see how he does next year. Lord knows we need someone that can hit the 3 consistently.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
thebigabd
National Champion

wow, 73 points in a game while being double and triple teamed. Pretty awesome.

My career high in church league basketball = 24.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator

Great read!!! Thanks, Coach!

Maybe now posters who don’t know much about Austin will believe he’s the real deal. He’s the type of transfer we usually see on an opponent’s team, the one who makes us wish we had a player who can knock down threes like him. All I can say is, it’s about time OU signed a sharp shooter like Austin Reaves.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post

Thank you Michael Cage
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Good interview with Reaves.

If we could add Gilder, this team will be flying all over the court next year. They will be as fun to watch as any team in the country with all those big guards (Reaves, JB, Williams, Gilder) running fast and shooting 3's. Harmon pushing the ball up the court and finding shooters & rim runners. Manek shooting 3's and all those guys opening up the lane for everyone, including Doolittle to drive the lane. They'll play a lot of 5-out and up-tempo and will be so hard to guard.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:

ya notice #1 on the other team had 59?

lol..not that 73 isn't GREAT, but obviously not a lot of def on either end.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
ya notice #1 on the other team had 59?

lol..not that 73 isn't GREAT, but obviously not a lot of def on either end.
It was a school a lot bigger than them & that team won the state title in their class.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #9
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
It was a school a lot bigger than them & that team won the state title in their class.
I wasn't dissin him...just saw the scoreboard at the end of video, had to do a double take. He def had his way with them.

It'll be interesting to see if the different coaching styles bring him out. Kind of like Hurts with LR vs NS.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
TINY
All-Conference

If you load the comments you will see a classy post from a WSU fan stating he is the real deal. This kid is going to be awesome to watch Haven’t had a pure shooter on the team since buddy.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
usedtobe1
Administrator

I’ve heard from several sources that Reaves has been the best player on the team during practices.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I’ve heard from several sources that Reaves has been the best player on the team during practices.
Yes, but if you take his 3 worst games from 2 years ago and combine them with his 2 worst games from 3 years ago, he looks bad. That's just a statistical fact.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
WTSooner
National Champion

Some of you are setting the bar pretty darn high for this kid. Hope he's up to it.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
skyvue
Elite Eight

Some others have set the bar very low. It evens out.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #15
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Some of you are setting the bar pretty darn high for this kid. Hope he's up to it.
It doesn’t bother me if he’s not.

You’re not that high on Hill. You’re not impressed with Harmon’s ability to score. Now you think some of us are setting the bar too high on Reaves. Is there anyone or anything you like about next year’s team?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #16
Eielson
Starter

I will go on record saying I haven't been this certain of a player making a significantly positive impact on our team in the coming season since Kam McGusty after his freshman year.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #17
sperry
All-American

Quote:
He’s an elite shooter. He has played high level d1 ball and proven he is a quality player. He’s had a full year to continue to improve. He’s going to remain a good player.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #18
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
He’s an elite shooter. He has played high level d1 ball and proven he is a quality player. He’s had a full year to continue to improve. He’s going to remain a good player.
No, no, no, you don't get it. abd has warned us that Reaves only scored 5 points per game against "quality opponents" (what does that mean? You'll have to ask abd), so clearly he's a huge bust waiting to happen.

If only Reaves were a transfer from a junior college within a 300-mile radius of Norman -- then we could be confident that he is about to lead our Sooners into an era of greatness like none we've witnessed before.

Y'know, like such abd-endorsed juco transfers as Ricky Torres (2.3 points per game for WSU) or Austin Trice (1.9 ppg for KSU).

Last edited by skyvue; 04-21-2019 at 11:26 PM.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:39 AM   #19
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
It doesn’t bother me if he’s not.

You’re not that high on Hill. You’re not impressed with Harmon’s ability to score. Now you think some of us are setting the bar too high on Reaves. Is there anyone or anything you like about next year’s team?
I don't know why you are questioning me for saying exactly what most scouting/recruiting reports say about the two incoming freshman.

Harmon
http://insider.espn.com/college-spor.../devion-harmon

Quote:
Harmon's defense may be ahead of his offense at this point. He's still a very solid offensive player but maybe not quite as dynamic with the ball in his hands as other top national talents. He also needs to work on making his jumper more of a weapon. He's capable of making open shots right now but there's a glitch in his release that becomes more evident when he has less room and time to fire.
Hill
http://insider.espn.com/college-spor...060/jalen-hill

Quote:
The glaring weakness is his jump shot. Hill has made improvements in this area. Hill needs to continue to work on his catch and shoot with consistent mechanics.
Happens every year. OU fans (or fans in general) severely overrate the contributions or skills a true freshman will bring into the fold. Offensively, both of these guys will struggle for the next year or two, to some degree. Harmon maybe a little less so than Hill. Depending on how the roster shakes out, I wouldn't be surprised if Hill didn't get much PT (especially in conference games) next year at all. I'm content with both recruits for sure. Just not expecting much on offense out of either early on. They'll get some fast break opportunities, but in the half court.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #20
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
I don't know why you are questioning me for saying exactly what most scouting/recruiting reports say about the two incoming freshman.

Harmon
http://insider.espn.com/college-spor.../devion-harmon

Hill
http://insider.espn.com/college-spor...060/jalen-hill

Happens every year. OU fans (or fans in general) severely overrate the contributions or skills a true freshman will bring into the fold. Offensively, both of these guys will struggle for the next year or two, to some degree. Harmon maybe a little less so than Hill. Depending on how the roster shakes out, I wouldn't be surprised if Hill didn't get much PT (especially in conference games) next year at all. I'm content with both recruits for sure. Just not expecting much on offense out of either early on. They'll get some fast break opportunities, but in the half court.
So a top 35 player isnt much help. So anyone outside a 1 done and not even some of them are skilled in every aspect.

No one is saying 1st all conference.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #21
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
good stuff thank you for posting
BoulderSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #22
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I heard from multiple sources that Polla is the best rebounder on the team. Apparently being the #1 rebounder on your team doesn't earn you a single minute of PT though.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
I heard from multiple sources that Polla is the best rebounder on the team. Apparently being the #1 rebounder on your team doesn't earn you a single minute of PT though.
Really? Is that an exaggeration to make a point?

I don’t recall anyone saying Polla was “the best” at anything. The opinion of nearly everyone here, including me, is quite the opposite. I would love to be wrong.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #24
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Really? Is that an exaggeration to make a point?

I don’t recall anyone saying Polla was “the best” at anything. The opinion of nearly everyone here, including me, is quite the opposite. I would love to be wrong.
I will say that info from the staff on players who don't play does tend to differ from the opinions on this board. Coach Speak...mostly. Some true, but doesn't mean it translates to game time.

I think most agree that Polla is not going to be a significant contributor for this team. But that doesn't keep the staff from talking about their excitement about him or his prowess as a rebounder. Could we all be wrong? I'd be ok with that.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #25
SuperHoops
Role Player

Quote:
There is a big difference between being the best overall player and the best at one particular aspect of the game. At his size Polla should be the best rebounder but unfortunately the rest of his game is lacking.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote