ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #26
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,769
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
You can't seriously think Dotson isn't going to be on their team next season. KJ and Moore barely played, which is why they are leaving. No loss there. And there is no chance their recruiting class is complete.
He declared for the draft already. Not sure if he signed an agent but Iíve seen kids make worse decisions in regards to the nba draft.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,780
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
You can't seriously think Dotson isn't going to be on their team next season. KJ and Moore barely played, which is why they are leaving. No loss there. And there is no chance their recruiting class is complete.
Why can I not "seriously think" that Dotson isn't going to be on their team next year? He has declared for the draft. Most kids who declare for the draft do stay in. Plenty of kids would rather get paid than play for free in college, whether that's overseas or in the g-league. Dotson

Moore and Lawson combined for 23 minutes per game. Those are the type of players you need to step up and play more minutes when you lose 85% of your returning production.

And KU's recruiting class may not be done, but they aren't adding any top guys. Of the remaining uncommitted top 100 kids, not one is expected to sign with KU: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Ba...oup=HighSchool


I have no earthly clue why you stan so hard for Kansas on here. I told you last year KU was the most vulnerable they had ever been in the conference and that they would have an early exit in the NCAA tournament because their guard play was week. They didn't win the conference for the first time in 15 years, and they lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament because their guards were not up to snuff.

I'm telling you now that their roster situation is the worst it's been in 20+ years, and I'm right about that as well.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Bill Self has coached Kansas for 16 years. In the season just past his KU team went 12-6 in the conference, which is the WORST conference record he has had at KU.

Given the apparent state of the 2019-20 KU roster, do y'all expect KU to do even WORSE, and lose more than 6 conference games next season?

__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #29
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,328
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
The odds of getting a legit big man this late in the game are basically 1/100. Those guys get paid big bucks to go to KU, Duke, unc, et al.
Exactly. Give me a good guard that can contribute over a an okay big that's just there to eat up a few minutes.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #30
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,328
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Bill Self has coached Kansas for 16 years. In the season just past his KU team went 12-6 in the conference, which is the WORST conference record he has had at KU.

Given the apparent state of the 2019-20 KU roster, do y'all expect KU to do even WORSE, and lose more than 6 conference games next season?

That's how I feel. Self does have the luxury of the best recruits, but he's also the best coach regardless of roster talent. He could have taken over any team in conference 16 years ago and still won 4-5 conference titles.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #31
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,424
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Why can I not "seriously think" that Dotson isn't going to be on their team next year? He has declared for the draft. Most kids who declare for the draft do stay in. Plenty of kids would rather get paid than play for free in college, whether that's overseas or in the g-league. Dotson

Moore and Lawson combined for 23 minutes per game. Those are the type of players you need to step up and play more minutes when you lose 85% of your returning production.

And KU's recruiting class may not be done, but they aren't adding any top guys. Of the remaining uncommitted top 100 kids, not one is expected to sign with KU: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Ba...oup=HighSchool


I have no earthly clue why you stan so hard for Kansas on here. I told you last year KU was the most vulnerable they had ever been in the conference and that they would have an early exit in the NCAA tournament because their guard play was week. They didn't win the conference for the first time in 15 years, and they lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament because their guards were not up to snuff.

I'm telling you now that their roster situation is the worst it's been in 20+ years, and I'm right about that as well.
I'll be happy to wager with you about Dotson any day of the week. And you can claim you were right about them last season, but the fact remains they were undefeated and number one in the country with their full roster. As for Moore, their fans are happy he left because he was a huge disappointment. If I'd known in early January that Doke, de Sousa, and Vick wouldn't be playing, I may have still picked them to win the league, but certainly wouldn't have been very confident.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #32
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,328
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

I don't think Sperry said KU was vulnerable until after conference play had already started. Given all the KU love here in the preseason, I'd be shocked if anybody on here actually called KU's "demise." I remember the exact opposite.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #33
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,424
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Well well well. Doke returning to KU. Once Dotson announces he is coming back, that mess of a roster will be looking mighty good with a great point guard, great big, and a couple of other really good guards returning.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #34
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,702
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Well well well. Doke returning to KU. Once Dotson announces he is coming back, that mess of a roster will be looking mighty good with a great point guard, great big, and a couple of other really good guards returning.
Cool story?
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #35
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 792
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Well well well. Doke returning to KU. Once Dotson announces he is coming back, that mess of a roster will be looking mighty good with a great point guard, great big, and a couple of other really good guards returning.
Yeah, I wonder how much they were paid to return? KU network comes through again. Dirty birds. GMAFB.

When you donate to a slush fund to pay athletes to play for your school, is it tax deductible?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #36
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,780
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Well well well. Doke returning to KU. Once Dotson announces he is coming back, that mess of a roster will be looking mighty good with a great point guard, great big, and a couple of other really good guards returning.

I'm legitimately not sure why you are constantly stanning for Kansas. This roster will be the worst Kansas has entered a season with since Self got here. And that is after last year's roster was the worst Kansas has entered a season with since Self got here, which is not coincidentally the first time he didn't win the conference. Without Dotson things get really iffy for them.


Self always kept the pipeline full of promising young guys who were ready to take over as stars, as well as bringing in elite kids. Neither is the case this year.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #37
CMSOONER
Starter
 
CMSOONER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Yeah, I wonder how much they were paid to return? KU network comes through again. Dirty birds. GMAFB.

When you donate to a slush fund to pay athletes to play for your school, is it tax deductible?
In reality not as much as they likely would have made going in the draft.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #38
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,424
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I'm legitimately not sure why you are constantly stanning for Kansas. This roster will be the worst Kansas has entered a season with since Self got here. And that is after last year's roster was the worst Kansas has entered a season with since Self got here, which is not coincidentally the first time he didn't win the conference. Without Dotson things get really iffy for them.


Self always kept the pipeline full of promising young guys who were ready to take over as stars, as well as bringing in elite kids. Neither is the case this year.
I hate KU and never have any interest in hyping them. But I don't let my hatred prevent me from being realistic. Is this their best roster? Of course not. Is it a mess, as you specifically argued? Of course not. Once Dotson makes his return official, they will almost certainly enter next season as the highest ranked team in the conference, unless something drastic happens. And if by some chance De Sousa wins his appeal, they'll be that much better. It just amazes me how, based on one season, people act like they can't possibly be very good next season, while at the same time, so many are willing to predict that Tech will be right in the mix despite losing almost all their guys. Beard is great and might well pull if off. But Self has been doing this for almost two decades now, so I'm inclined to think they will still be a ranked, highly competitive team. By my thinking, that isn't a mess, which is your word to describe them.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #39
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,780
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I hate KU and never have any interest in hyping them. But I don't let my hatred prevent me from being realistic. Is this their best roster? Of course not. Is it a mess, as you specifically argued? Of course not. Once Dotson makes his return official, they will almost certainly enter next season as the highest ranked team in the conference, unless something drastic happens. And if by some chance De Sousa wins his appeal, they'll be that much better. It just amazes me how, based on one season, people act like they can't possibly be very good next season, while at the same time, so many are willing to predict that Tech will be right in the mix despite losing almost all their guys. Beard is great and might well pull if off. But Self has been doing this for almost two decades now, so I'm inclined to think they will still be a ranked, highly competitive team. By my thinking, that isn't a mess, which is your word to describe them.

I said they would be a mess IF Doke and Dotson don't come back, which it was no guarantee that they would. Doke did come back, Dotson may, although I have no idea why you are discounting the possiblity that he stays in the draft. Most kids who declare end up staying in, and it's not like Dotson is a kid who isn't on NBA radar.


As far as next season, I very clearly outlined Kansas's issues. Last year was Self's worst team. Self is bringing in the worst ranked recruiting class since he's been here. He loses far and away the best player from last year's team, as well as a number of other contributors. Past performance is not indicative of future success. Kansas will not be lining up with the horses they are accustomed to next season.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #40
Maverick008
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 177
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Kansas will not be lining up with the horses they are accustomed to next season.
This is a TBD statement. A LOT can happen between now and the beginning of next season. The ďfree agentĒ period is still alive and well at the moment (transfer portal). And with a lot of impact players still available like for instance Blackshear from Va tech, I wouldnít discount KU putting a team on the court that can not only win the big 12 but fight for a national championship as well. IF the season were starting next week and they didnít have Dotson and didnít add any more recruits and didnít add any grad transfers then sure, they would be in trouble but that isnít the case. At least not yet. Programs like KU seem to find ways to not only fill holes but to fill them with high impact players. Lets hope that this time they miss out on everyone of them!
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #41
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,479
Default Re: Dreaming....but wouldn't these guys be a nice addition for next year

KU will get their guys.

If they get RJ Hampton who likely will reclassify after summer.

He’s a kid that can be POY as a freshmen
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com