ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #51
152219
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,545
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Exactly what I did when i read your post.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #52
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,227
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

4/14 is 28.5% of teams in the league are bad
2/10 is 20% of teams in the league are bad


those are the numbers ya need...just sayin~
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #53
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,687
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
4/14 is 28.5% of teams in the league are bad
2/10 is 20% of teams in the league are bad


those are the numbers ya need...just sayin~
So the only way to measure how good or tough a league is, is strictly by looking at the number of bad teams?

I disagree.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #54
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,098
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
4/14 is 28.5% of teams in the league are bad
2/10 is 20% of teams in the league are bad


those are the numbers ya need...just sayin~
and 10 good teams better than 8 good teams you know 10>8. so if the 14 team conference dropped the 4 bad team, like the big 12 did, then they would be clearly better since the have no bad teams. So tell me again how dropping teams doesnt help the average.
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird


Last edited by Max Power; 05-14-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #55
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,227
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

it was more about the % if folks were counting numbers of good/bad teams for each conference. I have no dog in the fight...

Obviously if the 8/10 teams were in the top 20 and the 10/14 were not then....

just sayin..

How'd they do head to head? ;-)


it's all good~
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #56
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,693
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

1. KU
2. TT
3. Baylor
4. OU
5. WVU
6. Texas
7. OSU
8. ISU
9. KSU
10. TCU

Last edited by CoachTalk; 07-18-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Still before the season
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #57
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,644
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Baylor
KU
Tech
OU
OSU
WV
Texas
ISU
TCU
KSU
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #58
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,508
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

I see a top three of KU, Tech, and Baylor, with KU the clear favorite. I'd put OU, KSU, Texas in the next tier (not sure yet what order), with the other four teams at the bottom. KSU will be better than people expect. They will certainly take a step back after losing that senior class, but I will be surprised if they are near the bottom of the standings.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #59
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

OSU is going to be good. Way too much shooting not to be. KU should be favored, but that is contingent on big improvements from Dotson and Agbaji. Baylor and WVU should be tournament teams. OU and Tech the wild cards. I don't expect much out of ISU, KSU, TCU or Texas.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #60
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I see a top three of KU, Tech, and Baylor, with KU the clear favorite. I'd put OU, KSU, Texas in the next tier (not sure yet what order), with the other four teams at the bottom. KSU will be better than people expect. They will certainly take a step back after losing that senior class, but I will be surprised if they are near the bottom of the standings.
Early look at K-State:

PG: David Sloan (6'0'' 200) - Juco Transfer. Led NJCAA in assists for two years. Averaged 16 points, 10 assists, and 4.6 rebounds per game. 37% 3pt shooter.

SG: Cartier Diarra (6'4'' 190) - Averaged 7 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists per bame as a backup to Barry Brown. Very solid player.

SF: Xavier Sneed (6'5'' 220) - All Big 12 HM.. Averaged 10.6 points on 39.6 percent shooting (118-of-298), including 34.6 percent (54-of-156) from 3-point range, with 5.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.4 steals in 30.7 minutes per game

PF: Makol Mawien (6'9'' 245) - Juco Transfer. Has started all 71 games in his KSU career. Averaged 7.0 points on a 52.6 percent shooting (100-of-190) with 4.9 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per game.

PF: ?... Nobody with any reasonable experience or numbers. Gonna be some new guy or combination of players.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #61
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
OSU is going to be good. Way too much shooting not to be. KU should be favored, but that is contingent on big improvements from Dotson and Agbaji. Baylor and WVU should be tournament teams. OU and Tech the wild cards. I don't expect much out of ISU, KSU, TCU or Texas.
Agreed.... OSU is going to be dangerous, especially if the young center (Yor Anei) develops further... They have a lot of talent top to bottom now.

I like Kansas, OSU, Baylor, WVU, and Tech this year. Texas will be pretty good too.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #62
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Agreed.... OSU is going to be dangerous, especially if the young center (Yor Anei) develops further... They have a lot of talent top to bottom now.

I like Kansas, OSU, Baylor, WVU, and Tech this year. Texas will be pretty good too.
I take it, then, that all those teams are loaded with juco transfers?
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #63
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I take it, then, that all those teams are loaded with juco transfers?
I don't think OSU has a single juco transfer on their team, so, no.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #64
SuperHoops
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 749
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I take it, then, that all those teams are loaded with juco transfers?
If they did he surely would be a big time player that OU blew it in not recruiting harder.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #65
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,508
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

I am confused about people's views on OSU. When we swept them last season, we heard a lot of people discount those wins by talking about how terrible OSU was. Now plenty of people are predicting they will be good this season because they will be such a good shooting team. Yet they led the league in three-point shooting last season and finished 5-13. Great shooting is obviously a huge advantage, but sure isn't a guarantee if you don't have anything else to hang your hat on. The conference standings last season show that, and not just with respect to OSU. I expect them to gradually improve if their players stay out of trouble and Boynton continues to improve as a coach, but it seems like a big stretch to suggest they are in the top tier.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #66
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I am confused about people's views on OSU. When we swept them last season, we heard a lot of people discount those wins by talking about how terrible OSU was. Now plenty of people are predicting they will be good this season because they will be such a good shooting team. Yet they led the league in three-point shooting last season and finished 5-13. Great shooting is obviously a huge advantage, but sure isn't a guarantee if you don't have anything else to hang your hat on. The conference standings last season show that, and not just with respect to OSU. I expect them to gradually improve if their players stay out of trouble and Boynton continues to improve as a coach, but it seems like a big stretch to suggest they are in the top tier.
I wouldn't say great shooting is their only advantage... They have athletic ability, and a good combo of players in the paint.

Cameron McGriff is a solid 4 year player at power forward, averages 12 and
7 which is pretty solid... and Yor Anei is a 6'10'' 230 center who led the Big 12 in blocks as a freshman. Against TCU he had 17 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 blocks... Against Baylor he had 14 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 blocks... Against WVU he had 16 points, 6 rebounds, and 8 blocks.. 6 blocks against Memphis too...

You got a guy getting 6, 8, and 7 blocks in individual games as a true freshman... that is pretty darn good.

He had your typical freshman struggles but he showed a ton of promise out there.

Same thing with the point guard, Likekele... Guy is going to be REALLY good I think... 6'4'', good athlete, #2 in Big 12 in assists last year. Lots of weapons around him this year. He should have a great year.

Last year they had 6 scholarship players... this year they will have all the shooters and post talent back, with 5-6 guys off the bench who are 4 star players...

Looks like they have all the pieces
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #67
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I am confused about people's views on OSU. When we swept them last season, we heard a lot of people discount those wins by talking about how terrible OSU was. Now plenty of people are predicting they will be good this season because they will be such a good shooting team. Yet they led the league in three-point shooting last season and finished 5-13. Great shooting is obviously a huge advantage, but sure isn't a guarantee if you don't have anything else to hang your hat on. The conference standings last season show that, and not just with respect to OSU. I expect them to gradually improve if their players stay out of trouble and Boynton continues to improve as a coach, but it seems like a big stretch to suggest they are in the top tier.
OSU was terrible last year because they had absolutely no one coming off the bench. They bring back their entire starting five, add an excellent grad transfer, and supplement that with a top 25 recruiting class.

Senior guards, elite shooting, and this time around they shouldn't have depth issues. That's a team that should be very good. I'll be looking to get money on them at 200:1 to win the championship.

Last edited by sperry; 06-03-2019 at 03:16 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #68
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,508
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
OSU was terrible last year because they had absolutely no one coming off the bench. They bring back their entire starting five, add an excellent grad transfer, and supplement that with a top 25 recruiting class.

Senior guards, elite shooting, and this time around they shouldn't have depth issues. That's a team that should be very good. I'll be looking to get money on them at 200:1 to win the championship.
At those odds I agree it would be worth throwing down a few bucks, although I don't see any way they actually win the title. But IMHO depth is a bit overrated in the college games. Teams have won the national title, or at least made the FF, playing a 7-man rotation. I agree with you guys thinking they will be improved, I just disagree with how much better they will be. But that's the fun part of the offseason.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #69
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

OSU sucks. You can quote me on that.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #70
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,363
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
OSU sucks. You can quote me on that.
Just did.

Just kidding I agree that they will struggle again unless the freshmen help out quite a bit.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #71
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,644
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I am confused about people's views on OSU. When we swept them last season, we heard a lot of people discount those wins by talking about how terrible OSU was. Now plenty of people are predicting they will be good this season because they will be such a good shooting team. Yet they led the league in three-point shooting last season and finished 5-13. Great shooting is obviously a huge advantage, but sure isn't a guarantee if you don't have anything else to hang your hat on. The conference standings last season show that, and not just with respect to OSU. I expect them to gradually improve if their players stay out of trouble and Boynton continues to improve as a coach, but it seems like a big stretch to suggest they are in the top tier.
I don't think OSU is in the top tier. After Baylor, KU, and Tech....i believe there will be a noticeable dropoff. Candidly, I think any one of four teams could finish fourth....I just picked OU fourth because I'm a homer. I would guess that the strength of the conference might take a slight hit in the metrics (because of quality player losses), but the conference should still be in the Top 3. And that equates the conference getting five into the tournament for sure....and very likely six.

I do believe that the 3 bottom teams will be ISU, KSU, and TCU (in any order) based on attrition alone.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #72
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Baylor should be very good... Tristan Clark comes back... Keglar, Butler, Vitale, Bandoo are back.

Macio Teague becomes eligible... he was 1st team All Big South at UNC Asheville. Averaged 17ppg and shot 42% from 3pt line. he was the Ohio player of the year in high school too. Supposed to be very good.

Davion Mitchell becomes eligible... transfer from Auburn... #33 player in recruiting class.

They are loaded and have a chance to win the league.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #73
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Baylor should be very good... Tristan Clark comes back... Keglar, Butler, Vitale, Bandoo are back.

Macio Teague becomes eligible... he was 1st team All Big South at UNC Asheville. Averaged 17ppg and shot 42% from 3pt line. he was the Ohio player of the year in high school too. Supposed to be very good.

Davion Mitchell becomes eligible... transfer from Auburn... #33 player in recruiting class.

They are loaded and have a chance to win the league.
You inspired me to look deeper at Baylor, and I'm going to bet a championship future on them as well. Also going to bet them to win the league if I can get decent odds (and find anywhere offering the bet).
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #74
SuperHoops
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 749
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I don't think OSU is in the top tier. After Baylor, KU, and Tech....i believe there will be a noticeable dropoff. Candidly, I think any one of four teams could finish fourth....I just picked OU fourth because I'm a homer. I would guess that the strength of the conference might take a slight hit in the metrics (because of quality player losses), but the conference should still be in the Top 3. And that equates the conference getting five into the tournament for sure....and very likely six.

I do believe that the 3 bottom teams will be ISU, KSU, and TCU (in any order) based on attrition alone.
I don't see OSU as a top tier team either unless a couple of their incoming freshmen perform at a really high level. The Boone twins had a rep of being "lazy" on the AAU circuit amongst some here in Tulsa. But that is AAU ball so it may not translate to D-1 level basketball with a coach riding your ass 24/7.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #75
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,693
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHoops View Post
I don't see OSU as a top tier team either unless a couple of their incoming freshmen perform at a really high level. The Boone twins had a rep of being "lazy" on the AAU circuit amongst some here in Tulsa. But that is AAU ball so it may not translate to D-1 level basketball with a coach riding your ass 24/7.
They have 2-3 recruits better than the twins.

One has a rep of lazy. They other is exact opposite.

I think OSU is 5-7 range. For sure a tournament team
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com