ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 11-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,528
Default James Wiseman

#1 recruit and freshman at Memphis was ruled ineligible for the season. Heís playing tonight & Memphis will probably have to forfeit the game later on.

Itís rumored Penny paid $11,500 in moving expenses to get him to come play for him in high school.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,981
Default Re: James Wiseman

Penny is cheating? Shocking....
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,741
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Penny is cheating? Shocking....
Don't you wish we had one of those dynamic recruiters?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,648
Default Re: James Wiseman

That didn't last long, but some knew it was salmon to begin with such as our own Max Power.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
euphguy
Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,195
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
#1 recruit and freshman at Memphis was ruled ineligible for the season. Heís playing tonight & Memphis will probably have to forfeit the game later on.

Itís rumored Penny paid $11,500 in moving expenses to get him to come play for him in high school.
That was in 2017 before Penny was even coaching at U of Memphis (and before he would know that he would be the coach there, supposedly).

It's ridiculous that the student-athlete suffers at the hand of someone else, especially when he supposedly didn't know his mom had accepted money to help them move. Penny should have given the money to a friend, who would then give it to a family member, who would have then given it to the mom.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:08 AM   #6
OULad
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman
Posts: 600
Default Re: James Wiseman

We cant have boosters paying for players to come to certain schools. He gave them money and then he later committed to him. He should be ineligible.
OULad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
That was in 2017 before Penny was even coaching at U of Memphis (and before he would know that he would be the coach there, supposedly).

It's ridiculous that the student-athlete suffers at the hand of someone else, especially when he supposedly didn't know his mom had accepted money to help them move. Penny should have given the money to a friend, who would then give it to a family member, who would have then given it to the mom.
I agree. Seems pretty silly to me unless they can show that Penny knew at that point he'd be a college HC at this point.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
Darwin
Role Player
 
Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cleveland county
Posts: 987
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
That was in 2017 before Penny was even coaching at U of Memphis (and before he would know that he would be the coach there, supposedly).

It's ridiculous that the student-athlete suffers at the hand of someone else, especially when he supposedly didn't know his mom had accepted money to help them move. Penny should have given the money to a friend, who would then give it to a family member, who would have then given it to the mom.
Although it seems very unlikely, it would really suck for the kid if true.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,528
Default Re: James Wiseman

He should definitely be ineligible & he would’ve been even if Penny wasn’t the coach. The report listed Penny as a booster in this sense, not the coach. A booster giving a lot of money for a kid to move is illegal. It was dirty by Penny from the get go.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,741
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Although it seems very unlikely, it would really suck for the kid if true.
I actually don't think it's that unlikely. I don't think most high school kids know details of their parents finances. Whether he should be suspended is a tough question, though. Even though Penny wasn't the coach at the time, he clearly was connected to the program. If Boone Pickens or Toby Keith gives money to Bryce's family, should that affect his eligibility at OSU or OU?

One thing I find interesting is that it seems like 99 percent of people on the board were in favor of De Sousa being banned for basically the same thing. Someone gave money to his guardian, and even the NCAA never alleged that he knew about it or received any of it.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #11
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,648
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
That was in 2017 before Penny was even coaching at U of Memphis (and before he would know that he would be the coach there, supposedly).

It's ridiculous that the student-athlete suffers at the hand of someone else, especially when he supposedly didn't know his mom had accepted money to help them move. Penny should have given the money to a friend, who would then give it to a family member, who would have then given it to the mom.

If a family member receives payment and the family member guides the child to that school then it is irrelevant as to whether the child knew of the transaction.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #12
Oscar Uniform
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 233
Default

If the family was paid the kid must be ineligible. Whether there is proof the kid knew about it is irrelevant. Almost anybody could say they didnt know. How would it be stopped? Bill self can say he didn't know adidas was paying his players. Maybe there's no recording or transcript of Bill self being involved but adidas pays kids to go to Kansas and Kansas should be punished otherwise it will go on forever.
Oscar Uniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
If Boone Pickens or Toby Keith gives money to Bryce's family, should that affect his eligibility at OSU or OU?
That isn't a good comparison. Those two guys are (were) active donors. They probably donate money yearly, and attend games as guests of the University yearly.

Penny gave his donation back in 2004. As far as I've read, nothing since. I think the question that needs to be asked is, did the money Penny gave to the Wiseman family impact James' decision on where to go to college? I really doubt it. That money wasn't used to "buy a recruit." The same folks suggesting Wiseman should be ineligible have probably made different comments regarding Tiny Gallon and Switzer.

Buying players is bad. This stuff? Silly to have a kid sit out an entire season.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Uniform View Post
If the family was paid the kid must be ineligible. Whether there is proof the kid knew about it is irrelevant. Almost anybody could say they didnt know. How would it be stopped? Bill self can say he didn't know adidas was paying his players. Maybe there's no recording or transcript of Bill self being involved but adidas pays kids to go to Kansas and Kansas should be punished otherwise it will go on forever.
Go on forever? It was 2-3 years ago. One time deal. This isn't some elaborate, high dollar, ongoing player purchase scheme.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #15
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,528
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
That isn't a good comparison. Those two guys are (were) active donors. They probably donate money yearly, and attend games as guests of the University yearly.

Penny gave his donation back in 2004. As far as I've read, nothing since. I think the question that needs to be asked is, did the money Penny gave to the Wiseman family impact James' decision on where to go to college? I really doubt it. That money wasn't used to "buy a recruit." The same folks suggesting Wiseman should be ineligible have probably made different comments regarding Tiny Gallon and Switzer.

Buying players is bad. This stuff? Silly to have a kid sit out an entire season.
It was to get him to go to the high school where Penny was coaching.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,994
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Go on forever? It was 2-3 years ago. One time deal. This isn't some elaborate, high dollar, ongoing player purchase scheme.
yeah ... Kansas has it all simplified now with bribe vending machines. Kids merely slide in their AAU membership card and they receive an inducement based on their ranking. All computerized and automated. This keeps Bill out of the immediate loop.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #17
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
It was to get him to go to the high school where Penny was coaching.
Okay? That's a high school issue. Not a college one.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #18
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,528
Default Re: James Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Okay? That's a high school issue. Not a college one.
He played at Memphis so that’s an issue. He now coaches at Memphis as where the kid he paid for now plays & that’s a huge issue.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com