ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Northbase
Role Player

Default C.J. Cole

I think fans underestimate what C.J. brings to the team as far as guiding young guys in practice and teaching by example. That is why Lon ask him to come back.

Also, did you see him in the Texas game. He came in and got a great rebound and put it back for a crucial 2, and on the next play may a great play to help us keep possession of the ball. Thank you C.J. for you contributions.
Northbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight

Default Re: C.J. Cole

Yes. He is a fine young man and has been an asset to the team in so many ways.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
trueou
Walk-on

in addition to all that he brings a welcome boost to team GPA.
trueou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator

Agreed. C. J.'s contribution to the team's overall GPA and as a practice player should not be underestimated. He's a special young man to play that role while spending most of his career on the bench during games.

OU has been fortunate to have a number of walk ons over the years who were willing to make that kind of sacrifice for the good of the team.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
chuckb
Starter

All of those guys who put in 4 years of really hard work and get very little playing time should be recognized, C.J. included. I'm sure they have lots of great times doing it but they don't get the same payoff that those who play get. And let's face it, most college students don't work as hard as these guys do day in and day out.

Not to minimize C.J.'s contribution, but at least he got a scholarship. The walk-ons all deserve their moment in the spotlight.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
hoopsaustin
Sweet 16

He's no where good enough to play. Sure i bet he helps in practice. That's where he belongs tho.

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
He's no where good enough to play. Sure i bet he helps in practice. That's where he belongs tho.
You just can't resist making a negative comment in a thread that is intended to compliment a player, can you?

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
hoopsaustin
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
You just can't resist making a negative comment in a thread that is intended to compliment a player, can you?
Wah snowflake. I literally even paid him a compliment about helping us in practice in the same post..

Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Wah snowflake. I literally even paid him a compliment about helping us in practice in the same post..
You literally surrounded that compliment with two digs at him.

(Let me guess: I'm now a cuck.)
Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
I'm not sure we win the texas game without C.J.'s contributions on the floor.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I'm not sure we win the texas game without C.J.'s contributions on the floor.
You, sir, are at risk of being labeled both a snowflake AND a cuck!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #12
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
If standing up for someone who is being unfairly maligned makes me a 'snowflake', so be it.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
You, sir, are at risk of being labeled both a snowflake AND a cuck!

Actually, those labels pale in comparison to some of the things I've been called.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #14
hoopsaustin
Sweet 16

Quote:
If standing up for someone who is being unfairly maligned makes me a 'snowflake', so be it.
"Unfair" is the battle cry of the modern snowflake.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
MNsooner
Administrator

OU Fan: "let's celebrate a senior who gave years of his life to the program"

Internet tough guy: "Nah, let's insult him. In fact, let's insult everyone."
“Very few coaches have been able to change cultures as quickly and successfully as Lon Kruger. He understands how to mold a group of individuals into one team with a common goal and has proven that time and time again. Lon has high standards for all those around him and he possesses a passion for winning, but not at any cost. That is arguably his strongest trait.”

Larry Brown
MNsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #16
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
One thing I've noticed about the women in my family is once we reach a certain age, we just don't give a damn about being tactful and polite and more - we just speak our minds.

You are just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. You think being negative makes you sound like an expert but it just makes you seem petty and small. You're an example of everything that is wrong with the message board culture. Someone tries to pay a compliment to a walk-on and you somehow feel the need to rain on his parade. It's pathetic.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
TINY
Starter

Thanks for your contribution Mr. Cole! I expect to see big things from you off the court in the future!
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #18
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Why don't you quit while you're ahead. You added an unnecessary negative to what was meant to be a salute to players like C. J. who do indeed contribute to the team without much fanfare. I hope you don't make it worse by trying to defend an indefensible position.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #19
hoopsaustin
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Why don't you quit while you're ahead. You added an unnecessary negative to what was meant to be a salute to players like C. J. who do indeed contribute to the team without much fanfare. I hope you don't make it worse by trying to defend an indefensible position.

My favorite players are the walk ons that beat the odds and become real contributors.

I think cole's scholly could have gone to a real contributor and who knows, may have saved this season.

Great kid and really smart and no doubt helped in practice. He also just played his best game.. but id rather not play walkons just bc it's neato like osu with Sager.

Also, Interesting to note that my posts are the ones deemed "indefensible" while the other post said asshole in it

Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #20
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:

My favorite players are the walk ons that beat the odds and become real contributors.

I think cole's scholly could have gone to a real contributor and who knows, may have saved this season.

Great kid and really smart and no doubt helped in practice. He also just played his best game.. but id rather not play walkons just bc it's neato like osu with Sager.

Also, Interesting to note that my posts are the ones deemed "indefensible" while the other post said asshole in it
I don't think you will find many people that disagree with this post.

But this isn't the thread for it
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
coolm
Final Four

yeah ... a little more etiquette and a little less 20-something know it all demeanor and this thread gets to stay a nice place to say thanks to guys like CJ.

discussions and opinions are great and all ... but sometimes you just want the message to be thanks. hijack with kindness and empathy.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
TheGimper
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I don't think he was ever ahead...
TheGimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #23
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
One thing I've noticed about the women in my family is once we reach a certain age, we just don't give a damn about being tactful and polite and more - we just speak our minds.

You are just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole. You think being negative makes you sound like an expert but it just makes you seem petty and small. You're an example of everything that is wrong with the message board culture. Someone tries to pay a compliment to a walk-on and you somehow feel the need to rain on his parade. It's pathetic.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #24
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:

Hoopaustin, you were wrong to throw in a jab at C. J. on a thread meant to recognize his contribution to the team. Still, to use an old cliche', two wrongs don't make a right. I was wrong to call you out publicly. Please accept my apology. You have always been and will continue to be one of my favorite posters on this board.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #25
IntenseDefense
Walk-on

I'm so proud of C.J. Such a hard worker and sneaky productive on the court. He put in the work on his strength and got some minutes being physical down low. The guy can move people around!