ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #26
mict085
Starter

Default Re: Austin Reaves

Reaves is a good player. I think maybe the expectations early on were higher than they should’ve been. He’s struggled at times and he’s made some really boneheaded plays as well. However, he’s also made a lot of great plays. He’s one of our best players. Doo, manek, and reaves are our best and we need them to win.

On another note, what was the flop warning all about? Reaves was punched in the face incidentally and his nose was bloodied. The ref gave him a flop warning? When is the last time the ref gave anyone a flop warning? I can’t remember one. That was a weird deal.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #27
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Reaves is a good player. I think maybe the expectations early on were higher than they should’ve been. He’s struggled at times and he’s made some really boneheaded plays as well. However, he’s also made a lot of great plays. He’s one of our best players. Doo, manek, and reaves are our best and we need them to win.

On another note, what was the flop warning all about? Reaves was punched in the face incidentally and his nose was bloodied. The ref gave him a flop warning? When is the last time the ref gave anyone a flop warning? I can’t remember one. That was a weird deal.
Happened a lot early in the season but not much lately, either because players have adjusted or because refs have lightened up on it. Seems like every year, the point of emphasis becomes less of an emphasis as the season progresses!
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #28
mict085
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Happened a lot early in the season but not much lately, either because players have adjusted or because refs have lightened up on it. Seems like every year, the point of emphasis becomes less of an emphasis as the season progresses!
True. Remember the freedom of movement idea. They were calling hand checks early and then they completely stopped calling any hand checks later in the season.

I just thought it was weird that reaves was hit in the face, nose bloodied, and the ref thought he was flopping?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #29
Sooner04
All-Conference

Reaves is our best facilitator. He is excellent navigating the traffic in the paint and making the tough interior pass. But his "getting mine" shots send my BP into orbit. He's cut down on those significantly of late. I thought he was a warrior in Stillwater when the rest of the team stayed on the bus.

At the beginning of the year he flopped all over the place. Word got out. He now carries that stigma. But for the official not to use the two eyes God gave him in seeing the blood coming out of Austin's nose.....ridiculous.

Three guys make it awfully rough on a defense. Three guys can make you really tough this time of year.

Last edited by Sooner04; 03-01-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #30
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Reaves is our best facilitator. He is excellent navigating the traffic in the paint and making the tough interior pass. But his "getting mine" shots send my BP into orbit. He's cut down on those significantly of late. I thought he was a warrior in Stillwater when the rest of the team stayed on the bus.

At the beginning of the year he flopped all over the place. Word got out. He now carries that stigma. But for the official not to use the two eyes God gave him in seeing the blood coming out of Austin's nose.....ridiculous.

Three guys make it awfully tough on a defense. Three guys can make you really tough this time of year.
I'm sure the refs took that in account.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #31
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
I'm sure the refs took that in account.
That’s what annoys me about some refs. Yes Reaves flops, & when Reaves snapped his head back I’m sure the ref missed the contact and thought Reaves was selling contact. However, after you see blood just admit you were wrong and rescind the warning.

And Kruger was arguing the whole time to the ref but he just doesn’t throw a tantrum like some, including me, would like sometime.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #32
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
That’s what annoys me about some refs. Yes Reaves flops, & when Reaves snapped his head back I’m sure the ref missed the contact and thought Reaves was selling contact. However, after you see blood just admit you were wrong and rescind the warning.

And Kruger was arguing the whole time to the ref but he just doesn’t throw a tantrum like some, including me, would like sometime.
The refs could have moseyed over to the "official scorer's table" to change the call, but as long as they took what they saw in account then that is all that matters. The other stuff is fluff and irrelevant in the whole scheme of things.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #33
thebigabd
National Champion

Flopping should not be a coached and encouraged part of the game... Refs hate it, fans hate it, damages your reputation and credibility as a player, etc

Surprised Lon encourages it.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #34
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Does he?

I've never seen Reaves as a major flopper. He's done it a few times, but he's not at the level of, say, Marcus Smart. Not by a long shot. Certainly not enough that an official should let a flopping call stand (can it even be a flop if you keep your feet?) despite blood flowing from Reaves' nose.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:27 PM   #35
scrybe
All-American

There was clearly not even the hint of a flop on that play.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #36
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
No, but it happened in Morgantown. The visiting teams never get the benefit of the doubt anywhere.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #37
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I assumed it was called because of the way his head popped back and in slow motion, it did seem a bit delayed (not that I can imagine Reaves thinking in the moment, "I think I'll pop my head back to try to get the call" -- it wasn't that much delayed).

But the bloody nose should have been sufficient evidence for the official to correct himself, even if he missed the contact.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #38
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
The refs could have moseyed over to the "official scorer's table" to change the call, but as long as they took what they saw in account then that is all that matters. The other stuff is fluff and irrelevant in the whole scheme of things.
The bloody nose was fluff & irrelevant?
Old 03-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #39
Sooner04
All-Conference

Reaves is notorious for the phantom head bob. It's a new thing meant to fool the ref into blowing a whistle over minor contact. Trae Young was a master at this, and Reaves did it often at the beginning of the year.

It just so happened that, this time, it looked like the head bob when, in fact, he got smoked right across the nostrils. I couldn't believe the ref wouldn't own up to his mistake. Luckily, it didn't cost us.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #40
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Flopping should not be a coached and encouraged part of the game... Refs hate it, fans hate it, damages your reputation and credibility as a player, etc

How does he encourage it?
Old 03-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #41
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Reaves is notorious for the phantom head bob. It's a new thing meant to fool the ref into blowing a whistle over minor contact. Trae Young was a master at this, and Reaves did it often at the beginning of the year.

It just so happened that, this time, it looked like the head bob when, in fact, he got smoked right across the nostrils. I couldn't believe the ref wouldn't own up to his mistake. Luckily, it didn't cost us.
Yes he is & I don’t blame the official for giving him a warning if he didn’t see him get hit on the play. But like you said, the bloody nose should’ve showed the official he wasn’t flopping.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #42
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
The bloody nose was fluff & irrelevant?
The walking over to the table to change the call when they realized what had happened. Please.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #43
Darwin
Starter

What most of us don't know is whether a lot of the isso ball jacking up shots stuff is generally what the coaches want in certain situations or do they want to refine it. Have they been pushing him to be aggressive, just wishing his shooting % to pick up?
Darwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #44
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
The walking over to the table to change the call when they realized what had happened. Please.
Did they change the call?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #45
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Did they change the call?

In their heads, yes, which is where it counts, which is the gist of my initial post.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:17 PM   #46
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
What most of us don't know is whether a lot of the isso ball jacking up shots stuff is generally what the coaches want in certain situations or do they want to refine it. Have they been pushing him to be aggressive, just wishing his shooting % to pick up?
It’s definitely not what they want, they’d like to get a shot in flow rather than rushed. But him or Doolittle are really the only options to create a shot on their own consistently in a rushed situation.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #47
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
In their heads, yes, which is where it counts, which is the gist of my initial post.
They should have rescinded the official warning because it could’ve led to a technical later. So in their heads isn’t where it counts bc it could’ve hurt OU in the official score.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #48
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
They should have rescinded the official warning because it could’ve led to a technical later. So in their heads isn’t where it counts bc it could’ve hurt OU in the official score.
If they know they goofed then that it is exactly where it counts. If they saw him actually flop later in the game they would have realized it was his first flop. I mean really. The refs are the ones in control so everything goes through them, this is the realization, if they are content in not doing something then that is precisely what they will do.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #49
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
And they should have called the foul. Intentionally or not, the WV player hit him in the nose with sufficient force to bloody it.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #50
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
If they know they goofed then that it is exactly where it counts. If they saw him actually flop later in the game they would have realized it was his first flop. I mean really. The refs are the ones in control so everything goes through them, this is the realization, if they are content in not doing something then that is precisely what they will do.
If they know they goofed then correct the goof!!! Especially when play hasn’t resumed & you see the bloody nose.

If the ref counted the basket for Hill but another ref saw the shot shouldn’t have counted should he just think in his head “I’ll give WVU a call later to make up for it”?