ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #4151
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,432
Default Re: Softball

[quote=Speedy17;632636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I know of Macadoo, Nelson-Thiede and and Rains to be freshmen pitchers for 2020. Enlighten me please. Who are the other two freshmen pitchers?

It is 4 but several more have experience. Rylie Boone is quite a pitcher and CF that has been compared to Kelsey Stewart from Florida. She throws high 60's.

The rankings and positions are from Flosports.

35 Olivia Rains P/OF OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma
37 Rylie Boone OF/P Texas Glory Oklahoma
55 Macy McAdoo P Oklahoma Athletics Oklahoma
147 Alanna Thiede P OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma

You add to that:
G. Juarez
Mariah Lopez
Shannon Saile
Brook Vestal
Nicole Mendes

Now you have 9 pitchers.
Thanks for the info. It clarifies my confusion. But from what I can find on Boone I can find nothing that would enhance the Sooners in the circle. I also discount Mendes as a contributor as she has thrown only a total of 15.1 innings the last two seasons with a 4.56 era.

I see Nicole only as a sacrifice to burn innings when Patty does not want to expose her staff to what they were exeriencing against UCLA. Her longest outing this year was 1.2 innings and all but 2 of her 9 appearances for a total of 9.1 innings were run rule contests and those 2 were 6 run decisions.

I still see the staff as a staff of 7, which makes for a crowded room, plus or minus Parker Conrad who is still listed on the OU official roster. Wherever she may be. Just a difference of opinions. No big deal.

https://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?...egory_id=14661
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 AM   #4152
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,432
Default Re: Softball

Mariah Lopez enters transfer portal.

https://extrainningsoftball.com/pitc...transfer-pool/
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-09-2019 at 03:30 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #4153
bob the nailer
Walk-on
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmond
Posts: 155
Default Re: Softball

Anyone else seen or heard that G may play for the Puerto Rican olympic team and if they qualify for the olympics she could miss next season? Saw that posted on another site(Sooner Scoop)
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #4154
bob the nailer
Walk-on
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmond
Posts: 155
Default Re: Softball

You know softball has arrived when less than a week after the season is over and rumors flying everywhere about next year. Anyone know the name Carrie Eberle? Va Tech pitcher righty would be a senior next year rumored to be possible transfer in.
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #4155
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,432
Default Re: Softball

Senior to be Carrie Eberle 2019 stats 1.85 era, 201.1 innings pitched, 6 HR's allowed and 25-8 record. Va Tech was 47-11.

https://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?...egory_id=14661
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #4156
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,325
Default Re: Softball

I would be surprised if we thought Eberle would improve our staff. She was OK against the Boston Colleges of the world, but not up to the Kentucky and Carolinas. Everyone is looking at every possible transfer as a solution for their problems.

I saw on Robocoach that Juarez might pitch for Puerto Rico, and Plein might pitch for Australia. Also saw a blurb that Lopez would be heading to Arizona, Louisiana, or LSU. There was even one that suggested that Palimino might transfer to OU.. . Rumors fly everywhere.

Last edited by sybarite; 06-09-2019 at 11:43 AM.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #4157
BanjoCharley
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,308
Post Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I .... I won't even begin to talk about the one allegation made about Juarez affect on the OU morale. Rumors fly everywhere.
But you just did, couldn’t help yourself.
__________________
While you are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
BanjoCharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #4158
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,714
Default Re: Softball

The NCAA Baseball tournament is using instant replay in the Super Regionals.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #4159
sunnyjim48
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 41
Default Re: Softball

Gasso was on with Al Eschbach Friday night and when asked about incoming freshmen pitchers, Boone was not mentioned. Rains, McAdoo, and Thiede were mentioned. She also compared Flores' sister to Alo. I would say listing Mendes as a pitcher is a stretch. She can pitch, but it's pretty obvious that she would only ever be used sparingly.
sunnyjim48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #4160
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,325
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoCharley View Post
But you just did, couldn’t help yourself.
I should not have. I apologize. In the mention of that and the Palomino potential, I was attempting to show some disdain. Obviously, there was no morale problem which she might have created.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #4161
j2d2
All-American
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 3,083
Default Re: Softball

Gasso had just praised her patience and unselfishness. The next post announced her entry into the portal just after I posted that she probably wouldnt go. That'l teach me.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #4162
Soonerguy06
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 611
Default Re: Softball

I hate to be negative on any player but I won't necessarily miss Lopez. I thought all she threw was meatballs. I understand her ERA was really low, I don't understand how it was, but then again I only ever watched bedlam and then the playoffs. I'm really helping Vestal or one of the seems like 15 other pictures steps up next year, we are going to need some of the younger gals to grow up fast if we want to be at the same level again. I really hope Vestal does not transfer and hangs in there! I'm also hoping Hansen is healthy!

Last edited by Soonerguy06; 06-10-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #4163
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,432
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
I hate to be negative on any player but I won't necessarily miss Lopez. I thought all she threw was meatballs. I understand her ERA was really low, I don't understand how it was, but then again I only ever watched bedlam and then the playoffs. I'm really helping Vestal or one of the seems like 15 other pictures steps up next year, we are going to need some of the younger gals to grow up fast if we want to be at the same level again. I really hope Vestal does not transfer and hangs in there! I'm also hoping Hansen is healthy!
Lopez pitching game plan left one believing she was not the same pitcher as Juarez but her numbers indicate she was more effective than we tend to give her credit. She did throw only about 2/3 the inning of Juarez (117.2 vs 186.1) indicating Patty's preference but Lopez had the better era (1,25 vs 1,39). Also Juarez allowed 1 HR every 10.9 innings (17 total) and Lopez 1 every 23.5 innings (5 total).

The numbers say that Juarez served up more than twice as many meatballs as Lopez. Although Juarez (7) allowed about 20% fewer HR's/inning in the post season than Lopez (2).

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=14661
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-11-2019 at 03:35 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #4164
OURed
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12
Default Re: Softball

Outfielder Alexa Shultz is in the transfer portal as well.
OURed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #4165
TulsaWorld
Walk-on
 
TulsaWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 405
Default Re: Softball

From Bill Haisten...

Quote:
Within the span of a few months in 1999-2000, as the University of Oklahoma football program vaulted from an extended slump to having become the national champion, Bob Stoops’ pay zoomed from $625,000 to $1.4 million.

Stoops was the first coach in state history to command as much as $1 million for a year’s work. Nineteen years after Stoops got rich, the list of the state’s million-dollar coaches remains fairly short.

At OU, the Million Dollar Club also includes Jeff Capel, Lon Kruger, Sherri Coale, Lincoln Riley and Alex Grinch (the Sooners’ new defensive coordinator who, at $1.4 million, is the first assistant coach in Oklahoma to get seven-digit dough).

...

Soon — as in the start of the 2019-20 fiscal year in July — there should be a new member of the Million Dollar Club.

In 2018-19, as she drove the OU softball team to 57 victories and another Women’s College World Series appearance, Patty Gasso’s guaranteed compensation was a few dollars shy of $1 million.

For 2019-20 — and only two years after she made $481,499 — she is positioned to crash through the $1 million ceiling.
__________________
---
Happy to share Tulsa World's best OU articles/galleries/etc. Please e-mail questions for reporters to web@tulsaworld.com
TulsaWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #4166
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 836
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Lopez pitching game plan left one believing she was not the same pitcher as Juarez but her numbers indicate she was more effective than we tend to give her credit. She did throw only about 2/3 the inning of Juarez (117.2 vs 186.1) indicating Patty's preference but Lopez had the better era (1,25 vs 1,39). Also Juarez allowed 1 HR every 10.9 innings (17 total) and Lopez 1 every 23.5 innings (5 total).

The numbers say that Juarez served up more than twice as many meatballs as Lopez. Although Juarez (7) allowed about 20% fewer HR's/inning in the post season than Lopez (2).

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stat...egory_id=14661
Spock,

There was a reason that Juarez pitched more than Lopez. Lopez feasted upon the weaker part of the schedule this year for that ERA. She was pedestrian against the top teams. Her stats against teams that made the NCAA tournament are as follows.

Lopez 42.2-IP ER-16 H-37 K-49 BB-11 ERA-2.62

Only once did Lopez go 7 innings in a game against this NCAA competition and that was a brilliantly pitched game against OSU in Stillwater.

Syracuse W 7 0-ER 1-H 12-K 2-BB
Charlotte W 5 0-ER 1-H 10-K 0-BB
*Kentucky W 5.1 1-ER 1-H 4-K 2-BB
FAU W 7 0-ER 0-H 13-K 3-BB
Hofstra W 2 0-ER 0-H 2-K 1-BB
*UCLA L 3.2 3-ER 6-H 6-K 1-BB
*Cal Fullerton 3.2 1-ER 2-H 6-K 1-BB
Oregon State W 6 3-ER 5-H 3-K 7-BB
McNeese 1 0-ER 0-H 1-K 0-BB
Grand Canyon W 5.1 0-ER 2-H 8-K 2-BB
UCSB W 5.2 0-ER 1-H 13-K 1-BB
Dartmouth W 4.2 0-ER 1-H 6-K 1-BB
CSUN 1 0-ER 0-H 0-K 0-BB
UNT W 5 0-ER 0-H 6-K 1-BB
*Texas Tech 1.2 3-ER 4-H 0-K 1-BB
*Tulsa 1.1 1-ER 4-H 1-K 0-BB
Utah W 3.1 3-ER 4-H 3-K 1-BB
Baylor W 5 0-ER 3-H 5-K 0-BB
Kansas W 7 0-ER 1-H 8-K 2-BB
Kansas 1 0-ER 0-H 1-K 1-BB
*Texas 4 1-ER 6-H 5-K 1-BB
Wichita State W 5 0-ER 2-H 7-K 0-BB
Iowa St W 4 2ER 6-H 7-K 0-BB
*OSU W 7 1-ER 2-H 9-K 0-BB
*UMBC 1 0-ER 0-H 3-K 0-BB
*Wisconsin 4.2 0-ER 2-H 6-K 1-BB
*Northwestern W 4.2 0-ER 2-H 5-K 2-BB
*Alabama W 4.1 2-ER 4-H 3-K 1-BB
*UCLA 1.1 3-ER 4-H 1-K 1-BB

*denotes NCAA tournament team
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #4167
Soonerguy06
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 611
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Spock,

There was a reason that Juarez pitched more than Lopez. Lopez feasted upon the weaker part of the schedule this year for that ERA. She was pedestrian against the top teams. Her stats against teams that made the NCAA tournament are as follows.

Lopez 42.2-IP ER-16 H-37 K-49 BB-11 ERA-2.62

Only once did Lopez go 7 innings in a game against this NCAA competition and that was a brilliantly pitched game against OSU in Stillwater.

Syracuse W 7 0-ER 1-H 12-K 2-BB
Charlotte W 5 0-ER 1-H 10-K 0-BB
*Kentucky W 5.1 1-ER 1-H 4-K 2-BB
FAU W 7 0-ER 0-H 13-K 3-BB
Hofstra W 2 0-ER 0-H 2-K 1-BB
*UCLA L 3.2 3-ER 6-H 6-K 1-BB
*Cal Fullerton 3.2 1-ER 2-H 6-K 1-BB
Oregon State W 6 3-ER 5-H 3-K 7-BB
McNeese 1 0-ER 0-H 1-K 0-BB
Grand Canyon W 5.1 0-ER 2-H 8-K 2-BB
UCSB W 5.2 0-ER 1-H 13-K 1-BB
Dartmouth W 4.2 0-ER 1-H 6-K 1-BB
CSUN 1 0-ER 0-H 0-K 0-BB
UNT W 5 0-ER 0-H 6-K 1-BB
*Texas Tech 1.2 3-ER 4-H 0-K 1-BB
*Tulsa 1.1 1-ER 4-H 1-K 0-BB
Utah W 3.1 3-ER 4-H 3-K 1-BB
Baylor W 5 0-ER 3-H 5-K 0-BB
Kansas W 7 0-ER 1-H 8-K 2-BB
Kansas 1 0-ER 0-H 1-K 1-BB
*Texas 4 1-ER 6-H 5-K 1-BB
Wichita State W 5 0-ER 2-H 7-K 0-BB
Iowa St W 4 2ER 6-H 7-K 0-BB
*OSU W 7 1-ER 2-H 9-K 0-BB
*UMBC 1 0-ER 0-H 3-K 0-BB
*Wisconsin 4.2 0-ER 2-H 6-K 1-BB
*Northwestern W 4.2 0-ER 2-H 5-K 2-BB
*Alabama W 4.1 2-ER 4-H 3-K 1-BB
*UCLA 1.1 3-ER 4-H 1-K 1-BB

*denotes NCAA tournament team
I wondered why her numbers were so good but anytime I watched her she didn't seem to back them up. Juarez was the better pitcher this year. I dreaded just having Lopez as our ace coming into this past season...hope she succeeds wherever she goes
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #4168
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,432
Default Re: Softball

Never said Lopez was anything but not as bad as many here think and she definitely did not give up the Big Fly or threw meatballs as implied. She was a legitimate day 2 pitcher that threw in every series for the season and maintained the numbers stated above while winning 19 and losing 1 game for the season. She had 4 conference wins and 5 wins against NCAA tournament teams. In those 9 games her era was 1.57. That is quality pitching period.

That is not doing a bad job as the #2 starter. She lost only 1 game period those are the facts. Would Patty have wanted her to throw more effectively? Absolutely. Whould Patty take a day 2 starter next year that goes 19-1 with 9 wins against conference and tournament teams? Unequivocally yes! Does she hope her day 2 starter next year is a stronger pitcher than Lopez? No doubt, as do I, but that is easier said than done. JMHO.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-11-2019 at 02:57 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #4169
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 836
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Never said Lopez was anything but not as bad as many here think and she definitely did not give up the Big Fly or threw meatballs as implied. She was a legitimate day 2 pitcher that threw in every series for the season and maintained the numbers stated above while winning 19 and losing 1 game for the season. She had 4 conference wins and 5 wins against NCAA tournament teams. In those 9 games her era was 1.57. That is quality pitching period.

That is not doing a bad job as the #2 starter. She lost only 1 game period those are the facts. Would Patty have wanted her to throw more effectively? Absolutely. Whould Patty take a day 2 starter next year that goes 19-1 with 9 wins against conference and tournament teams? Unequivocally yes! Does she hope her day 2 starter next year is a stronger pitcher than Lopez? No doubt, as do I, but that is easier said than done. JMHO.
She was 4-1 in 12 games against NCAA competition. She was 4-0 in conference play in in 12 games. The bottom line is that she did not pitch an enormous amount once the conference started.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #4170
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,325
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
“Very, very good,” Gasso said about Vestal. “I’m really excited about her future, and I think the greatest thing we could have ever done was that redshirt year that she got as a freshman. I think it’s going to help you quite a bit.”
Patti Gasso on Vestal in an interview with James Hale posted on OUInsider (got an email from 247 Sports on this and an incoming QB prospect).
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #4171
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,226
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Patti Gasso on Vestal in an interview with James Hale posted on OUInsider (got an email from 247 Sports on this and an incoming QB prospect).
I thought she was transferring?
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #4172
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,325
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
I thought she was transferring?
Unsubstantiated rumor.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #4173
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,432
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
She was 4-1 in 12 games against NCAA competition. She was 4-0 in conference play in in 12 games. The bottom line is that she did not pitch an enormous amount once the conference started.
Lopez had appearances in only 7 conference games not 12 games. She beat Kentucky, Cal State Fullerton, OSU, Northwestern and Alabama. That is 5-1 against tourney teams by my count. She only beat OSU once but OSU was both a conference team and a tourney team.

She was 4-0 against conference opponents and 5-1 against tournament competition. However she only pitched 1 game against OSU and therefore had only 8 wins combined against conference and tourney competition combined.

I'm not trying to make her an ace just an effective day two starter that was 51-2 in her OU career. She does not deserve to be belittled for her performance in OU's pitching circle. She just was not what many dreamed she would be when she signed with U. That happens 40-50% of the time with top prospects. She had the win in the super-regional finals with a shutout and the win in the win or go home game against Alabama WCWS this. And as a freshman was the winning pitcher in relief against Florida in the 2017 championship game. All very significant wins.

It might be noted that 2012-2019 OU has had 5 pitchers as the #2 pitcher win more than 15 games. Lopez won 19 in 2019 and 18 in 2017 and was 51-3 for her career. Gascoigne won 16 in 2012 and 19 in 2013 she was 35-4 for her career and Lowary won 16 in 2017 but also had 11 saves and was 26-5 with 18 saves for her career. Neither Lopez or Cascoigne were used as a closer like Lowary.

https://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?...egory_id=14661
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-11-2019 at 08:22 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #4174
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,053
Default Re: Softball

Got to agree with Spock about Lopez.

She wasn't our ace, as that title belonged to Juarez. But Mariah was a quality pitcher and a very effective No. 2 starter.

And she got better each season. Personally, I hate to see her go, though I'm very excited about Vestal and what she can conceivably bring to the table in 2020.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #4175
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 836
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Unsubstantiated rumor.
There was talk after the Sooners series with Texas that she was going to transfer. However, she was always doing bullpens and traveling during the season. She was a big part of the program during the NCAA through the World Series. She certainly never acted like she was going to transfer.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com