ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #2626
Oliver Hardy
All-American
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,827
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoCharley View Post
The softball program??

Oh it's OH off topic.
I think Patti Gasso is the best coach at OU and it isn't close.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 AM   #2627
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

The restrictions of the scholarship limitation in softball (12 scholarships) really tells you how badly these girls coming from California, Texas and elsewhere really want to play for Patty. And how well Patty performs her job from a recruiting perspective.

By state law a girl from California, Texas or any other state that gets a half scholarship must pay out-of-state tuition for the balance of her scholarship. Per the link below the total cost of attendance at OU for out-of-state players is approximately $41,630 and $27,308 for in-state players. That means the player/families must come up with approximately $20,800 for out-of-state and $13,500 for in-state cost not covered by the scholarship.

UT in-state costs are approximately $26,626. So a Texas girl going to OU instead of UT is out an additional $7,500 ($41,630-$26,626/2= $7,502) out of pocket annually for going to OU instead of Texas. That is $30,000 over 4 years just to play for the Sooners. Wow!!!

UCLA in-state costs are approximately $31,900 so the California gals are paying an additional $4,865 annually and $19,460 for 4 years to go to OU.

The above numbers for Texas makes it easy to understand why Patty has historically had difficulty recruiting top Texas talent to Norman. Not many families have an additional $30,000 to spend on their daughter's education despite most softball players traditionally coming from financially sound families as indicated by the cost to play summer travel ball.


http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html


https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...hrome&ie=UTF-8


https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...k1.20K5HFgjLK8


https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...k1.d2gp52m6PQI
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 09-08-2017 at 03:08 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #2628
Sooner Cal
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 183
Default Re: Softball

Why do you assume veryone gets a half scholarship. I bet some get more and some less.

Frankly, every school should be able to offer 29 full rides.
Sooner Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #2629
OKUman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 404
Default Re: Softball @ Auburn

Man what a mess down at Auburn. Sex between assistant Clory Meyers and players, head coach with knowledge and no action, Athletic Director with knowledge and no action. Coaches terminated or resigned, Title Nine investigation, arrests for dope smoking by three players, threats to arrest players for spreading text messages from Clint to players and the other direction. YouTube post of interview with walk on who quit team over no action since 2016 when the mess started. Auburn web site does not list a coach, but they have fall ball scheduled.
__________________
Were not running up the score, were just running plays for next weeks game.

Last edited by OKUman; 09-13-2017 at 08:11 AM.
OKUman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #2630
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 611
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
The restrictions of the scholarship limitation in softball (12 scholarships) really tells you how badly these girls coming from California, Texas and elsewhere really want to play for Patty. And how well Patty performs her job from a recruiting perspective.

By state law a girl from California, Texas or any other state that gets a half scholarship must pay out-of-state tuition for the balance of her scholarship. Per the link below the total cost of attendance at OU for out-of-state players is approximately $41,630 and $27,308 for in-state players. That means the player/families must come up with approximately $20,800 for out-of-state and $13,500 for in-state cost not covered by the scholarship.

UT in-state costs are approximately $26,626. So a Texas girl going to OU instead of UT is out an additional $7,500 ($41,630-$26,626/2= $7,502) out of pocket annually for going to OU instead of Texas. That is $30,000 over 4 years just to play for the Sooners. Wow!!!

UCLA in-state costs are approximately $31,900 so the California gals are paying an additional $4,865 annually and $19,460 for 4 years to go to OU.

The above numbers for Texas makes it easy to understand why Patty has historically had difficulty recruiting top Texas talent to Norman. Not many families have an additional $30,000 to spend on their daughter's education despite most softball players traditionally coming from financially sound families as indicated by the cost to play summer travel ball.


http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html


https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...hrome&ie=UTF-8


https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...k1.20K5HFgjLK8


https://www.google.com/search?q=How+...k1.d2gp52m6PQI
I guarantee you that virtually every player from out of state on the OU softball team have scholarships above .50 and some have full scholarships. I doubt any Oklahoma player has a full scholarship. They can also combine financial aid help with scholarships to make due.

I also think Patty could go to Texas any time she wanted but she had greater options in California where softball is king. Mendez was a tremendous find.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #2631
Soonercuda
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,679
Default Re: Softball

Patty gets a big raise:

https://twitter.com/EricBaileyTW/sta...61877087977472
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #2632
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonercuda View Post
Geez! That's well over double the second highest paid softball coach in the country! Unbelievable!
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #2633
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: Softball

http://newsok.com/article/5564144
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #2634
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,916
Default Re: Softball

No brainer....

http://m.newsok.com/article/5564538
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 AM   #2635
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

Baylor gets three transfers from the SEC. One from Auburn, one from MSU and one from LSU.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #2636
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

Auburn hires James Madison coach Mickey Dean. Appears to be a great hire. Dean indicates there will be a major change in pitching philosophy in that Meyers wanted his pitcher to keep the ball low and force the opponents to hit the ball on the ground for outs. Dean's philosophy is to try and strike everyone out.

It will be interesting to see if James Madison pitcher Megan Good, Division I Player of the Year will transfer from James Madison to Auburn.


http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w...091517aaa.html


http://www.theplainsman.com/article/...ch-mickey-dean


Auburn hires Gerry Glasco and Annie Smith as assistant coaches.


http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w...091917aak.html


http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w...092117aac.html
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 09-22-2017 at 04:31 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:00 AM   #2637
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

Nice videos on Melyssa Lombardi.

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPor...000&id=6134598


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kssgfV4oFM0
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 09-22-2017 at 04:14 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 PM   #2638
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,759
Default Re: Softball

OU 10 Trinity Valley JC 0 in six. I think Lopez, Mendes, and Lowary combined for a perfect game. No mention of HBP or errors, and there were no hits or walks.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #2639
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,677
Default Re: Softball

Games Played Friday, September 29, 2017

Sooners Roll on Opening Day of Fall Festival
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...211670510&KEY=

Box Score: OU 10 -- TVCC 0
http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/5458625.pdf

Box Score: OU 9 -- Temple College 1
http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/5458658.pdf
__________________
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #2640
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,677
Default Re: Softball

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Softball Completes Perfect Opening Fall Weekend

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...211670656&KEY=


Quote:
Oklahoma 3, Seminole State 0
Oklahoma 10, Northern Oklahoma 0 (5 innings)

On the weekend, Oklahoma outscored its opponents 32-1 and posted a .380 batting average, .471 on-base percentage and .590 slugging percentage compared to a slash line of .086/.108/.099 in the same categories for their opponents. OU pitchers posted a 0.28 earned run average and struck out 36 against just two walks in 25.0 innings.

Oklahoma returns to the field for fall action on Oct. 18 when it hosts North Central Texas College. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.
__________________
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 AM   #2641
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,759
Default Re: Softball

North Central Texas College tomorrow.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #2642
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

Just back from the game. Not much to report as NCTC is not a very good softball team. Might be the worst team I have seen in any of the past fall games. Their starting pitcher had 7 walks in 2 innings.

Were ahead 12-0 when I left with two out in the top 5th. I screwed up thinking they would play 5 and they played 9. Missed most of the freshmen's AB's. We did not hit the ball effectively considering the competition. Should have made better contact against a community college pitcher. We left either 11 or 12 runners on base in 4 at bats 18 for the game.

Alo started in LF and didn't get much to hit was walked twice and tattoed a double to RC and also hit a foul ball down the left field line that probably went 325'. Flores made good contact on a solid base hit. Mendez also played 1st the last two innings with Flores at 2nd and Clifton at short. Started Clifton in the lead-off and Mendes hit 2rd.

Lopez started and threw 2 innings. She got behind the hitters in the first but was ahead of them in the 2nd but had no BB's. Parker Conrad relieved Lopez to start the 3rd and threw 3 innings. She had major control issues with all her pitches. Really got behind the hitters Left runner on 2rd and 3rd in the 3rd and bases loaded in the 4th and 5th. Did throw strikes when she got ducks on the pond but not before. Conrad throws the ball hard and has a change up. She gave up 3 walks and 3 hits in 3 innings but no runs.

Might compare Conrad to Lowary at the start of last season with where her game is. Hopefully she can make advancements similar to what PL did last year.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 10-19-2017 at 06:23 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #2643
TheMont
Walk-on
 
TheMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 475
Default Re: Softball

Anyone know why Paige Parker hasn't played at all in the fall games? Obviously we don't need her, but I wanna make sure she's just resting and there's no issues!
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #2644
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,759
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
Anyone know why Paige Parker hasn't played at all in the fall games? Obviously we don't need her, but I wanna make sure she's just resting and there's no issues!
Parker had surgery. Isn't on the Fall Roster (which I haven't seen).
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #2645
TheMont
Walk-on
 
TheMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 475
Default Re: Softball

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Thanks, syb!
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #2646
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

New 2022 commitments. These girls are in the 8th grade. It is also amazing how virtually all the girls throughout the country stick to their commits made 3-5 years earlier. Although OU did turnaround Jocelyn Alo from her California commitment in the 2017 class.


Avery Hodge SS/Outfield

SJ Guerin Pitcher

Jocelyn Erickson Catcher
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #2647
sooner8693
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Parker had surgery. Isn't on the Fall Roster (which I haven't seen).
True. I have a friend that coached Paige in Missouri, and is now working in Oklahoma, that told me about the surgery a couple of weeks ago. She also said the training staff at OU was rushing up her recovery a bit and it was causing Paige some pain and discomfort. Paige and this former coach were to meet with the training staff and the doctor that performed the surgery and see if they could agree on a timely recovery regimen. Paige's parents could not get down for the meeting. Don't know how the meeting went, but, I will see her and possibly Paige this week-end and see how it went.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #2648
SoonerSpock
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 3,440
Default Re: Softball

Halloween softball/baseball post game tonight they held a homerun contest with 7 hitter I think from both the softball and baseball team. Each batter was allowed to hit 10 fair balls. By my count Jocelyn Alo won the contest with 8 homeruns in her 10 hits. All but 1 of her homeruns was well over the outfield grandstands or the large red Oklahoma sign in centerfield. Caleigh Clifton hit one over the scoreboard.

Alo hit a couple over the grandstands when she did not get all of the ball. The girl does have major power. I think the 14 players hit 48 homeruns.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 11-11-2017 at 07:26 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #2649
soonerpd
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: OKC, Cleveland County
Posts: 13
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
True. I have a friend that coached Paige in Missouri, and is now working in Oklahoma, that told me about the surgery a couple of weeks ago. She also said the training staff at OU was rushing up her recovery a bit and it was causing Paige some pain and discomfort. Paige and this former coach were to meet with the training staff and the doctor that performed the surgery and see if they could agree on a timely recovery regimen. Paige's parents could not get down for the meeting. Don't know how the meeting went, but, I will see her and possibly Paige this week-end and see how it went.
Everyone is different as far as recovery time and pain tolerance. Hopefully, the training staff is not rushing her to the point of setting her back. Having gone through shoulder surgery and recovery, I donít think there is any way to rehab without some pain and discomfort.

Do you know what kind of surgery she had?
soonerpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #2650
sooner8693
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerpd View Post
Everyone is different as far as recovery time and pain tolerance. Hopefully, the training staff is not rushing her to the point of setting her back. Having gone through shoulder surgery and recovery, I donít think there is any way to rehab without some pain and discomfort.

Do you know what kind of surgery she had?
Sorry to take so long to respond to your question. I did not talk to Paige at the T-Tech football game, but, did see and talk to her former coach that lives here now. She just had the knee scoped to clean up some "junk" in the knee that was causing her pain. She pitched some last Friday and is well on her way to being 100% soon. She is back to a regular workout regimen or will be shortly.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com