ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,168
Default Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

For Loyola-Chicago.... 10 teams in the league.

I chose offense, defense, and assists. Feel free to go to their site and look at what you want, but I chose these stats because it is the trend. When he's got a good team, they lead the league in assists and turnovers. When he has a bad team, they don't.

What I see in the stats is that OU is going to play team basketball and rack up a lost of assists and not the turn the ball over very much. And there was only one year in the Missouri Valley when they had a bad defensive ranking. They were in the top 4 every year but one in defense.

2020-2021
#4 in offense, #1 in defense, #1 in assists, #1 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #1

2019-2020
#6 in offense... #2 in defense... #3 in assists, #4 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #2

2018-2019
#9 in offense.. #1 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #2

2017-2018
#4 in offense.. #2 in defense... #1 in assists... #1 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #1

2016-2017
#2 in offense... #4 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #5

2015-2016
#8 in offense... #3 in defense... #7 in assists... #6 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #8

2014-2015
#6 in offense... #3 in defense.. #3 in assists... #4 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #6

2013-2014
#9 in offense... #8 in defense... #4 in assists.. #7 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #10
__________________
Porter Moser[list][*]Coolest name in college basketball
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,646
Default Re: Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

I tend to agree. But can it happen in year 1. I don’t do down years well.

I think the pieces are there. Is there enough practice time?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,491
Default Re: Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

Sound fundamentals. Team basketball at its best.

Now, we’re talking!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,055
Default Re: Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

I have no doubt he'll have us playing good defense and team offense pretty quickly.

The question, and it's always been the question, is will the offense be good enough? Will it by dynamic enough? I believe his team was around 40th last year in offensive efficiency. At some point, he needs better than that at OU. I'm not sure it'll be much better this season though. So hopefully the defense can be top 15ish, and that is what we can hang our hats on this year, until we recruit more offensive firepower. Or maybe some of the guys we have excel offensively this year. There is some potential there, especially from the wings. My biggest question is consistent scoring from the guards, especially the 1 and 2 spots (or 3 if Hill is starting there).
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,646
Default Re: Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I have no doubt he'll have us playing good defense and team offense pretty quickly.

The question, and it's always been the question, is will the offense be good enough? Will it by dynamic enough? I believe his team was around 40th last year in offensive efficiency. At some point, he needs better than that at OU. I'm not sure it'll be much better this season though. So hopefully the defense can be top 15ish, and that is what we can hang our hats on this year, until we recruit more offensive firepower. Or maybe some of the guys we have excel offensively this year. There is some potential there, especially from the wings. My biggest question is consistent scoring from the guards, especially the 1 and 2 spots (or 3 if Hill is starting there).
I think offense will be better. Obviously more system. How good? Unknown
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,055
Default Re: Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I think offense will be better. Obviously more system. How good? Unknown
We'll see. More system for sure. Maybe more consistent. I just worry about it bogging down against "good" teams. Ken Pom had OU 35th and Loyola 41st in offense last year. Pretty much the same. The difference was defense. OU was 51st and Loyola was 2nd. I don't expect OU to be a top 5 defense next year, but that seems like the easier place for OU to get better, given our roster. If we can be an offense in the 30-40 range, and a top 15-20 defense, that should be a team we'll all be happy with next year.

That said, a lot is unknown. You are right about that.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,324
Default Re: Missouri Valley Stat Rankings - What can we learn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
For Loyola-Chicago.... 10 teams in the league.

I chose offense, defense, and assists. Feel free to go to their site and look at what you want, but I chose these stats because it is the trend. When he's got a good team, they lead the league in assists and turnovers. When he has a bad team, they don't.

What I see in the stats is that OU is going to play team basketball and rack up a lost of assists and not the turn the ball over very much. And there was only one year in the Missouri Valley when they had a bad defensive ranking. They were in the top 4 every year but one in defense.

2020-2021
#4 in offense, #1 in defense, #1 in assists, #1 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #1

2019-2020
#6 in offense... #2 in defense... #3 in assists, #4 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #2

2018-2019
#9 in offense.. #1 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #2

2017-2018
#4 in offense.. #2 in defense... #1 in assists... #1 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #1

2016-2017
#2 in offense... #4 in defense... #2 in assists... #2 in assist/turnover ratio
Conference Finish: #5

2015-2016
#8 in offense... #3 in defense... #7 in assists... #6 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #8

2014-2015
#6 in offense... #3 in defense.. #3 in assists... #4 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #6

2013-2014
#9 in offense... #8 in defense... #4 in assists.. #7 in assist/turnover ratio.
Conference Finish: #10
Interesting thread and info. Thanks for posting.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com