ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 08-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #26
OULad
Role Player

Default Re: Pre-season update

I think as usual we will be better than projected. I still think this is a tournament team.
OULad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #27
tmeyer3307
Role Player

My bet is Mason doesn't play, but maybe he beats out Cortes as backup PG. Harkless and Groves both need to be around 15ppg. Think Harkless is about to go off this season.. excited!
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #28
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
My bet is Mason doesn't play, but maybe he beats out Cortes as backup PG. Harkless and Groves both need to be around 15ppg. Think Harkless is about to go off this season.. excited!
From what I heard Mason was by far the best freshman of the three. Now that is early, but I was told Mason was better by a wide margin. If the season started today, he would play a lot.
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:45 PM   #29
CoachTalk
National Champion

Guys are in the gym all the time! Gym rats may not be extinct after all.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #30
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I love harkless game but he’s not a guy that’s going to “go off” as you say. Unless that means something else these days.

I like the roster coach moser has put together and I think this will be a tournament team. Considering where the roster was after the season, that’s quite an accomplishment.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #31
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I love harkless game but he’s not a guy that’s going to “go off” as you say. Unless that means something else these days.

I like the roster coach moser has put together and I think this will be a tournament team. Considering where the roster was after the season, that’s quite an accomplishment.
Idk man.. i think you may eat those words this year re: harkless
Old 08-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #32
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Idk man.. i think you may eat those words this year re: harkless
I like EJ a lot but his offensive game needed a lot of work, both as far as shot making and handles. He is obviously a very hard worker and I expect him to be better this season, but he will have to improve a ton to be a 15 PPG guy.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #33
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I like EJ a lot but his offensive game needed a lot of work, both as far as shot making and handles. He is obviously a very hard worker and I expect him to be better this season, but he will have to improve a ton to be a 15 PPG guy.
15 might be a stretch, but 12-13 is very reasonable with the top 3 scorers leaving. Also the only guy that's coming in that we know will score in double figures is T. Groves, so the amount of shots for Harkless should increase. I also think he's a guy who will do well in a more structured system, so this won't hurt him like it would a Reaves or Doolittle.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #34
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
.....so the amount of shots for Harkless should increase.
Some of this will depend on pace. I'm not sold that we'll play as slow as Loyola did, but playing really good defense and running a "system" offense typically means a slower pace, and fewer shots.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #35
WTSooner
National Champion

Not that this stat is the perfect measurement, and the results surprised me a bit, but last year Ken Pom had OU ranked 228th in tempo, and Loyola 342nd.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #36
cowboysooner
Starter

My pet peave has always been coaches that allow players to turn down good open shots for later shots that are harder and more guarded (e.g. turn down I wide open 3 to take a guarded 18 foot 2 off the dribble). I never thought Lon's teams did much of that. I am sure everyone does it occasionally So, I never had a complaint about Lon concerning that.

However, I am shocked that our pace on offense was so low. I never saw us as a slow it down type of team. It always seemed to me Lon was more than willing to push it down court.

In any event, really like the look of this roster and I am looking forward to seeing what we look like this year, regardless of pace.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #37
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysooner View Post
My pet peave has always been coaches that allow players to turn down good open shots for later shots that are harder and more guarded (e.g. turn down I wide open 3 to take a guarded 18 foot 2 off the dribble). I never thought Lon's teams did much of that. I am sure everyone does it occasionally So, I never had a complaint about Lon concerning that.

However, I am shocked that our pace on offense was so low. I never saw us as a slow it down type of team. It always seemed to me Lon was more than willing to push it down court.

In any event, really like the look of this roster and I am looking forward to seeing what we look like this year, regardless of pace.
A slower pace also implies a bit on how you play defensively. Teams that don't pressure & try to force turnovers as much usually force their opponents to slow down as well. OU last year played very well defensively, didn't try to force turnovers, and didn't turn the ball over themselves. I think that had something to do with it as well.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #38
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Some of this will depend on pace. I'm not sold that we'll play as slow as Loyola did, but playing really good defense and running a "system" offense typically means a slower pace, and fewer shots.
They scored 72-73 a game i think. He wants to play fast but in a system. only averaged a few less than our wide open system last year.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #39
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
They scored 72-73 a game i think. He wants to play fast but in a system. only averaged a few less than our wide open system last year.
I watched them play. If you don't think they were "slower" on offense, I don't know what to tell you. It's a tough thing to quantify, I know, but they played pretty slow. PPG can be influenced by a number of other factors (turnovers or lack thereof, shooting %, getting to the line, how many 3's you shoot/make).

Anybody have an offensive possessions per game stat?
Old 08-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #40
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
I watched them play. If you don't think they were "slower" on offense, I don't know what to tell you. It's a tough thing to quantify, I know, but they played pretty slow. PPG can be influenced by a number of other factors (turnovers or lack thereof, shooting %, getting to the line, how many 3's you shoot/make).

Loyola (Chi) - 64.8 (345th)
OU - 71.3 (167th)

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/sta...sions-per-game
Old 08-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #41
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:

71 for ou
65 for LC

Clearly slower but listening him talk in person. He wants to run and if a great shot is not there. then system comes in!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #42
cowboysooner
Starter

Not much difference it would seem
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #43
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysooner View Post
Not much difference it would seem
178 spots in the statistical standings and a potential 12-18 points more per game.

Bryant and Morgan State, each of which had 6.5 more possessions per game than we did (the same margin we held over Loyola) were in the top five in the country in this category, so 6.5 possessions per game is a lot.