ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

View Poll Results: Is the SEC move better for OU from a competitive perspective?
Yes, OU's odds of success in winning conference and national championships is improved 27 61.36%
No, OU's odds of success in winning conference and national championships is worse 4 9.09%
OU's odds of winning conference and national championships is the exact same as before 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #51
skyvue
Final Four

Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

I think anyone who thinks OU fans are going to be reasonable about it if and when OU loses three or four four games in a season is in serious denial. For the past few years, on the football board I frequent, I couldn't even find anyone celebrating after a win unless it was by four or five touchdowns. ISU was a Top 25 team last year (they finished the season in the Top 10) and that board went into freaking meltdown after OU lost to the Cyclones on the road early last season.

Everyone's putting on a good front right now and maybe there will be a brief honeymoon period, but it most definitely won't last.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #52
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I think anyone who thinks OU fans are going to be reasonable about it if and when OU loses three or four four games in a season is in serious denial. For the past few years, on the football board I frequent, I couldn't even find anyone celebrating after a win unless it was by four or five touchdowns. ISU was a Top 25 team last year (they finished the season in the Top 10) and that board went into freaking meltdown after OU lost to the Cyclones on the road early last season.

Everyone's putting on a good front right now and maybe there will be a brief honeymoon period, but it most definitely won't last.
you are right at 3-4 losses a season. i don't expect that though. I expect a max of 3 in a normal season. But I'd expect to average 2 a year including the conference title
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #53
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

It’s going to take 2, maybe 3, years to improve our recruiting to SEC levels. Will there be bumps in the road? Sure.

But we’ll always be able to compete. We will steadily be in the top 4, maybe top 3.

And when our recruiting improves, and recruits see we are winning, they will come and we will get better.

We are going to regularly beat Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M, Florida State, Missouri.

What we will have to do is show we can beat Alabama, Auburn and Georgia.

We’ll win our share to begin with. And when recruiting gets lined out, we’ll win even more!

Up or down, I’m excited about the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #54
NickZepp
National Champion

https://amp.oklahoman.com/amp/5390626001

Let’s set the record straight:*OU’s move to the SEC is what’s best for Oklahoma. The reality is that conferences are now more important than ever and, with limited spots, the strongest conferences would not accept OU if we were to*require OSU to join as well. By joining the SEC, we ensure the state’s flagship university will be represented nationally while protecting our rich football history for many years to come. To move forward in any other manner would be to the detriment of OU and the state of Oklahoma.

The*prospect of moving to the SEC*also excites me for our fans. Not only will the move energize our fanbase and provide great trips for road games to new venues, but the city of Norman stands to win as well. SEC fans loyally travel with their teams. Many fans from the SEC have never been to Norman and they’ll be eager to make the trip and experience an OU football weekend. Tickets will be in high demand and OU, Norman, and all of Oklahoma will reap the benefits.

Change is always hard. Moving to a more competitive league is unnerving to some. OU and OSU have a history of being in the same conference — I understand that. Of course, OU and OSU should work together when they can for the betterment of our state, but there are times when that is not possible (I don’t recall sharing my game plan with Coach Gundy every year). The reality is, in today’s world, conference realignment doesn’t allow for it.

With this move, OU is taking control of its own destiny. And all Oklahomans — no matter who they root for — can trust that when the state’s flagship university makes a decision, it always puts Oklahoma’s interests first.

Bob F'n Stoops

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #55
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:

Every team, professional or amateur alike, has a cross-section of fans thus their responses will be rather dissimilar for most of all positions taken.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #56
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
It’s going to take 2, maybe 3, years to improve our recruiting to SEC levels. Will there be bumps in the road? Sure.

But we’ll always be able to compete. We will steadily be in the top 4, maybe top 3.

And when our recruiting improves, and recruits see we are winning, they will come and we will get better.

We are going to regularly beat Auburn, Florida, Texas A&M, Florida State, Missouri.

We’ll win our share to begin with. And when recruiting gets lined out, we’ll win even more!

I see them receiving too much credit.

Since their national championship in 2010 they have averaged 4.5 losses per year (7.9 wins).

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 07-27-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:49 PM   #57
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
you are right at 3-4 losses a season. i don't expect that though. I expect a max of 3 in a normal season. But I'd expect to average 2 a year including the conference title
I agree that we'll have seasons like that (and I probably shouldn't have thrown that "or four" in there), but I'll have to see how the scheduling actually plays out. But I keep hearing fans spouting "Iron sharpens iron!" and other aphorisms, which is easy to say when it's all theoretical.

How many teams in the SEC make a habit of finishing with two losses or fewer? Bama, obviously, and other teams manage it now and then but not often.

Here's how often the other marquee SEC teams have done it in the past 10 seasons:

Georgia -- 4 (including 2020, a 10-game slate)
Florida -- 2
LSU -- 2
A&M -- 2 (including 2020, a 10-game slate)
Auburn -- 1
Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #58
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
to a point yest. But we haven't won a national championship in 21 years...the longest drought ever. It is plainly obvious that the big 12 isn't conducive to us winning the national championship. We can dominate the big 12 sure. I think most fans realize we will lose more games but we should be better off in the long run.

Who is going to be bigabd's new texas tech?
Honestly doing a bit of research and this basketball league is gonna be more fun than I thought going in. You got Rick Barnes at Texas and Calipari at Kentucky. Aggies have Buzz Williams who was flirting with OU when we got Lon Kruger and we made the right choice there. Vandy has former NBA player Jerry Stackhouse coaching them right now. South Carolina has Frank Martin. Auburn has Bruce Pearl. Georgia has Tom Crean. Ben Howland is at Miss State. Eric Mussellman is getting things going at Arkansas now. We'll see if Bama can keep going with the momentum they had last year dominating the league.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #59
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
to a point yest. But we haven't won a national championship in 21 years...the longest drought ever. It is plainly obvious that the big 12 isn't conducive to us winning the national championship. We can dominate the big 12 sure. I think most fans realize we will lose more games but we should be better off in the long run.

Who is going to be bigabd's new texas tech?
We may win more. Quit accepting the superiority bs. A&m's win % went up by 2 wins a season..

Also, his programs will be vandy and south carolina
Old 07-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #60
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post

OU has a better/or equal roster than all but 2 SEC team bama and georgia ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:30 AM   #61
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Yes, and better coaching than all but one (Bama). And LR is quickly closing that gap.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #62
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Kentucky would like to have a word with you.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #63
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Football or basketball?
Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #64
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
talking about football
Old 07-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #65
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Football or basketball?
Guess I hopped into the middle of a basketball AND football discussion, and didn't realize I was responding to a post about football.

From the football side, our talent might be top 3, but we're about to find out that the level of athleticism that some of these other, not so great SEC teams have, far exceeds what some of the not so great Big 12 teams had. If OU can find away to drop games to ISU and KSU somewhat regularly, we aren't going to roll through the SEC. A culture change is needed. Our entire team is too nice/soft.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #66
NickZepp
National Champion

OU may be favored by every SEC team right now. Now next year when they lose Thomas and Winfrey on the DL and some of the LBs are gonna be gone probably OU's probably fighting for 4th in the conference or around there.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #67
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
OU may be favored by every SEC team right now. Now next year when they lose Thomas and Winfrey on the DL and some of the LBs are gonna be gone probably OU's probably fighting for 4th in the conference or around there.
OU very well may be better next season
Old 07-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #68
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
OU very well may be better next season
Replacing our entire DL, a linebacker or two, and a QB? No chance.

OU will definitely take a step back next year. I don't care how good CW is, he isn't going to step in day 1 and perform how we all expect Rattler to perform this year. Just like Rattler didn't always perform very well early last year. DL will hurt the most. Recruiting is getting better there, but we're going to be wildly inexperienced and unproven.

Edit: Could lose Brooks and Gray at RB. Could lose Haselwood and Wease at WR. Stogner will be gone. A few from the OL are gone. We stand to lose quite a bit after this season. I'm not saying we'll fall off the planet as a program, but it's almost certain we take a step back.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #69
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:

OU will definitely take a step back next year. I don't care how good CW is, he isn't going to step in day 1 and perform how we all expect Rattler to perform this year. Just like Rattler didn't always perform very well early last year. DL will hurt the most. Recruiting is getting better there, but we're going to be wildly inexperienced and unproven.

Edit: Could lose Brooks and Gray at RB. Could lose Haselwood and Wease at WR. Stogner will be gone. A few from the OL are gone. We stand to lose quite a bit after this season. I'm not saying we'll fall off the planet as a program, but it's almost certain we take a step back.
Some positions could be worse, but at the same time some positions could be better, so we have to look at the whole enchilada. The top receivers class, which includes Haselwood, Wease and the player told to hit the road, has overall, been a disappointment to this point. The new receivers waiting in the wings can clearly outperform the current group, but time will tell the tale. Same could be said about the running back position, defensive backs, linebackers, etc. If other teams can reload then so can we for that's how I look at it.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #70
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
The benefits A&M has gained from moving to the SEC are widely overrated. But as long as we're comparing, why not Missouri, which is just barely treading water?
Missouri beat up on the Big XII North, so they lost a few games in that regard, but overall both teams are doing as well or better in their new conferences. A&M's benefits in recruiting are clear-cut, and anybody who doesn't think we've lost recruits based on their desire to play in the SEC simply isn't connected at all.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #71
Eielson
All-American

Quote:

We will be fine at QB, RB, and WR. It's college football...you're always going to lose some people. Anybody that thinks we can't replace QBs at OU hasn't been paying attention.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #72
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
We will be fine at QB, RB, and WR. It's college football...you're always going to lose some people. Anybody that thinks we can't replace QBs at OU hasn't been paying attention.
Being fine and not taking a step back are two different things. Part of the reason we're expected to be better than Bama this year is b/c they lost so much, and have a new, relatively unproven QB.

How much better is this year's OU team with what we expect Rattler to be this year, vs what he was last year? That alone creates a different, lesser team. But DL is the big one. Just b/c we have talent behind some of those guys, doesn't mean there won't be a fall off. Bama isn't equally as good every year. Even they have years that they take a step back, and they recruit considerably better than we do. Tough to be the #1 team (which a lot of folks expect from OU this year) with a brand new QB. That is why Bama isn't getting the usual hype this year. It's why tOSU isn't getting the usual hype this year. OU is literally returning the most experienced QB amongst the elite teams. Hence the reason we're getting a lot of play as the best team.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #73
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Missouri beat up on the Big XII North, so they lost a few games in that regard, but overall both teams are doing as well or better in their new conferences. A&M's benefits in recruiting are clear-cut, and anybody who doesn't think we've lost recruits based on their desire to play in the SEC simply isn't connected at all.
Just last season we lost Camar Wheaton who was seen as a shoe in to sign with us to only spur us at the last moment and sign with Alabama. I'm sure I/we could cite other examples if need be, but it might be all for naught as it could easily fall on deaf ears.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #74
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
Part of the reason we're expected to be better than Bama this year is b/c they lost so much, and have a new, relatively unproven QB.
Bama will be just fine without Mac Jones. They lost the vast majority of that offense, including two top 10 WRs, a first-round RB, and their playcaller. But again, they'll be just fine.

Quote:
Tough to be the #1 team (which a lot of folks expect from OU this year) with a brand new QB.
If Rattler returned next year, there's a decent chance he'd be riding the bench.

Quote:
Bama isn't equally as good every year.
Top 10 every single year sinceSaban has been there (minus year 1).
Old 07-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #75
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Just last season we lost Camar Wheaton who was seen as a shoe in to sign with us to only spur us at the last moment and sign with Alabama. I'm sure I/we could cite other examples if need be, but it might be all for naught as it could easily fall on deaf ears.
A&M snatched several top guys like Foster from us. That doesn't happen if we're whipping them annually the way we were during their Big XII South days.