ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #526
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Did you not read my post? Itís not putting more kids into private schools, itís lowering to cost for the kids already attending them.

Just because you lower tuition from 7k to 5k doesnít mean more kids can attend. Private schools donít have to expand to allow more kids in, they rarely accept IEP (learning impaired or disability) kids. You are just benifiting the kids who already have the means.
I read it. I think it is naive to think it will only benefit those already there. It will for sure help those already going. But it will no doubt make it affordable for others that aren't enrolled right now
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #527
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I read it. I think it is naive to think it will only benefit those already there. It will for sure help those already going. But it will no doubt make it affordable for others that aren't enrolled right now
They have a cap & standards on who theyíll take. They arenít going to take anyone who wants to go there, they are just lowering the cost of whoís already there.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #528
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
They have a cap & standards on who theyíll take. They arenít going to take anyone who wants to go there, they are just lowering the cost of whoís already there.
This simply isnít true. It may be for some private schools but not all of them. For sure not catholic schools
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
Old 06-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #529
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

It seems the biggest aspect of this that someone else pointed out is that it protects religious schools. If a state is funding any private schools, it can’t exclude religious schools

-Romero Osby
Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #530
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
It seems the biggest aspect of this that someone else pointed out is that it protects religious schools. If a state is funding any private schools, it canít exclude religious schools
Thatís fine, Iím not trying to exclude religious from private. My big issue is private getting the credits in general. Stitt & Devos are bad for public education.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #531
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
This simply isnít true. It may be for some private schools but not all of them. For sure not catholic schools
It is definitely true, they donít have to hire SPED teachers so they canít accept SPED kids.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #532
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
It is definitely true, they donít have to hire SPED teachers so they canít accept SPED kids.
Why are you moving the goal posts and now focusing on a very very small portion of kids?

-Romero Osby
Old 06-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #533
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Why are you moving the goal posts and now focusing on a very very small portion of kids?
Iím not. They wonít add more kids, the credits are just to decrease the tuition of kids already there. Private schools arenít the solution to education.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #534
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

A vehicle in Provo, Utah was trying to pass through a group of protestors and was shot at twice. The 1st shot fired was from the passenger side and struck one of the occupants. If the bullet missed it would likely have exited the driver's side window and placed those protestors in harms way. Beautiful people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1KYQ6B1Fo

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 07-01-2020 at 12:00 PM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #535
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
I’m not. They won’t add more kids, the credits are just to decrease the tuition of kids already there. Private schools aren’t the solution to education.
You are all over the place man

I can guarantee you that if parents could get a voucher, that some of them would decide to move their kids to a private school. It isn't just for those already going. It will still be too expensive for most.

Private schools aren't THE solution but they are part of it.

What are the issues with public education? My opinion is that they are underfunded, too much waste, too large of class sizes,good teachers move out of state, lack of teachers, etc.

What good reason would there be for the state to not supporting a voucher system? Say that voucher is $1,000 per year per kid. If that makes it economically feasible for a parent to take their kid out of the public system, it is a win win. The state is netting about $8k for every student that would leave. So you would just need to make sure that enough kids left to cover the voucher for those that are already in private school. Or you only give the vouchers to those currently in public schools that want to leave. Or you do a lottery for those that are already in private schools. I don't know. But studies and surveys can be conducted to look at the right way to do it and we can look at the results of the other states. But in theory, it works. We both know things don't always turn out how we think they will though.

The other positive is it helps some kids that want to break that cycle we were talking about of being poor and having to overcome more obstacles. Maybe if some of these kids get out of the low income school and into a private school, they can overcome them

-Romero Osby

Last edited by SoonerBounce13; 07-01-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:41 AM   #536
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
A vehicle in Provo, Utah was trying to pass through a group of protestors and was shot at twice. The 1st shot fired was from the passenger side and struck one of the occupants. If the bullet missed it would likely have exited the driver's side window and placed those protestors in harms way. Beautiful people.

wow

-Romero Osby
Old 07-01-2020, 07:12 AM   #537
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Switching gears....

https://www.theblaze.com/amp/environ...are-2646300773

Noted environmentalist pens article apologizing for 'climate scare' foisted on public for decades ó but piece is taken down reportedly just hours later

-Romero Osby
Old 07-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #538
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Who's responsibility is that? Why can some in those conditions fix the problem themselves, while other's can't? Aren't there a BUNCH of social programs and things out there with the very intent of helping these people fix their situation?

I got bad mouthed on here a few weeks ago for suggesting some of these folks have no desire to put out much of any effort to better themselves and their lives. You say the family life at home is a symptom, I say it's the root cause.
Social programs help, but in this country the private industry has to save it. We don't tax nearly enough on employers to really stop this problem. We completely lack the public infrastructure to do it.

Again.... 42% of the country makes less than $15 an hour. Do you know how **** that is in today's money? It's a travesty. The poverty rate hasn't been adjusted since the 1960's.... Way more people are poor than you think. The reason I say that is because you asked "who's responsibility is that?" to fix the economic situation... There are really only two options... Employers or the government. Either employers pay more, or the government needs to tax them heavily and put in proper public infrastructure.

But its tricky... how do you make them pay more? These are the same people who go hire slaves in China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Mexico, etc to boost profits. It's evil man, it really is. These are not people to be admired. It's not a clever business move for Apple to go over there. It's not a clever business move for every roofer, landscaper, painter, etc to be a desperate foreign worker. It's not a clever business move for tech giants to move to India and tell slaves to change their names to "Steve", and "Bob", etc when they answer the phone to take a support call. It's evil.

I mean, Bernie Sanders literally shamed Amazon, Disney, and Target into doing it. But all they did was make the minimum $15 an hour. They are still poor, they are just less poor. Bernie literally had to show up at Disney World and at an Amazon sweat shop and do TV appearances and shame them into it. They didn't do it out of the goodness in their hearts.

Public opinion also has to be changed on what a human being is worth. You hear arguments that retail jobs are for teenagers, they are just temporary, they are designed to be a stepping down. That just isn't true. You also hear that someone working at Walmart, Target, CVS, etc doesn't deserve a decent wage. Look around town, what do you see? Restaurants, shops, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, CVS, Best Buy, Banks, Walgreens, apartment complexes, hospitals, landscaping companies, painters, roofers, etc. A large portion of those people are poor, with few exceptions for medical professionals and managers. But most of that hospital is poor. Clerks, billing people, transporters, janitors, customer service people, housekeepers, food service people, delivery people, low-level medical people (nurse techs, phlebotomist, etc make like $12 an hour), groundskeepers, etc. I saw that the Whirpool manufacturing plant in Oklahoma pays an average of $17 an hour. I could go on and on.

Are there great jobs out there? Yes. But are there a ton of jobs out there to technically make you poor? Absolutely.

Keep in mind, I am not poor.... I am in the top 5% of wage earners in Oklahoma, and have a graduate degree education. In terms of self-study, I have read dozens of books on this topic, and spent countless hours researching issues to form an opinion. So I am not a poor person fighting for govt handouts or anything like that. I have been poor in my life (for a period as a kid), but for most of my life I have not been poor.

Sorry, I am totally ranting at this point.

Last edited by thebigabd; 07-01-2020 at 08:44 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #539
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...d-43f3f008afd0

CHAZ is finally done.
Prayers that the officers come out of this safely

-Romero Osby
Old 07-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #540
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
You are all over the place man

I can guarantee you that if parents could get a voucher, that some of them would decide to move their kids to a private school. It isn't just for those already going. It will still be too expensive for most.

Private schools aren't THE solution but they are part of it.

What are the issues with public education? My opinion is that they are underfunded, too much waste, too large of class sizes,good teachers move out of state, lack of teachers, etc.

What good reason would there be for the state to not supporting a voucher system? Say that voucher is $1,000 per year per kid. If that makes it economically feasible for a parent to take their kid out of the public system, it is a win win. The state is netting about $8k for every student that would leave. So you would just need to make sure that enough kids left to cover the voucher for those that are already in private school. Or you only give the vouchers to those currently in public schools that want to leave. Or you do a lottery for those that are already in private schools. I don't know. But studies and surveys can be conducted to look at the right way to do it and we can look at the results of the other states. But in theory, it works. We both know things don't always turn out how we think they will though.

The other positive is it helps some kids that want to break that cycle we were talking about of being poor and having to overcome more obstacles. Maybe if some of these kids get out of the low income school and into a private school, they can overcome them
How was I all over the place? That was me reiterating for the 3rd time that the vouchers are going to be primarily used for students already going there.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #541
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
How was I all over the place? That was me reiterating for the 3rd time that the vouchers are going to be primarily used for students already going there.
Well you didn't say "primarily". You were very black and white. You said they would only help those already going to private school.

They when I said there would be some parents that will decide to send their kids to private schools due to the voucher making it possible and you responded by bringing up special needs kids.

And now you are throwing in "primarily"

EDIT: rereading, it appears the special needs comment was pointed towards my comment refuting your point that private schools won't accept public school kids. I apologize

-Romero Osby

Last edited by SoonerBounce13; 07-01-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #542
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

I'm pretty pessimistic that republicans can win back the seat from Horn. Democrats had a higher turnout the republicans in the primaries. I don't think that is a good sign.

-Romero Osby
Old 07-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #543
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
I'm pretty pessimistic that republicans can win back the seat from Horn. Democrats had a higher turnout the republicans in the primaries. I don't think that is a good sign.
I think it's a great sign. Democracy takes work, whichever side you lean.

Be informed, and go vote.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #544
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post

They don't want democracy, by their own admission.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #545
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
???

-Romero Osby
Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #546
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post

Well it isn't a great sign if you want the republicans to regain the seat. That is what I meant

-Romero Osby
Old 07-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #547
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post

Suspect from Salt Lake City was arrested.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 07-01-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #548
mict085
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I agree. The democrats donít want democracy. Thatís the problem.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #549
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I agree. The democrats donít want democracy. Thatís the problem.
You can't be serious.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #550
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

BLM (black lives matter) was started by 3 women with the names of Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi. The video link is an interview with Patrisse as she explains her ideological views shared by her and another co-founding member of BLM which would be Alicia Garza. She explicitly states that both are "trained Marxists." She makes this realization at the 50 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgEUbSzOTZ8