ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 09-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Soonercuda
All-Conference

Default Staff Changes

Colton assistant coach. Jan gives up recruiting responsibilities.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211771885

Colton not qualified for this..very disappointing. He better be a prodigy.
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
atlantasooner
Starter

Default Re: Staff Changes

Coaches Never Learn.
Bob hires his brother who he cannot fire.

Bowden hires his son who he cannot fire and costs him his job.

Maybe it works better on the basketball side of the house.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
sybarite
National Champion

Gasso hired JT.

Of course, the Auburn softball coach hired his son, who got them both fired.
sybarite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
soonerstar
All-Conference

Not surprised at this. Mommy moves son into full time coaching position by creating a position for best friend Jan. Disappointed that Castiglione approved this. Colton may be a top notch coach someday, but he needed to go somewhere and learn from other coaches. Any guesses who will be the new head coach when SC steps down?
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
sybarite
National Champion

Right now, I would look at Dionnah Jackson. Of the OU alums (I suspect it will be an OU alum), Jackson is further along right now. If it were five years from now, I might look at DRob, I would have bet on Stacy Dales if she had taken that course in experience.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
atlantasooner
Starter

At least JT and Lon's kid, have worked for other coaches.

Colton's only worked for his mom.
There wasn't a host of young more experienced assistants that she could have hired. Pull a favor and get Colton a job somewhere else. Build his resume.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Soonercuda
All-Conference

I re-read the article and I guess the reality was Colton was a non-recruiting assistant coach last year and Jan was a full assistant that could recruit. I remember seeing Colton on the bench last year in a suit like a normal assistant. Now those roles have reversed. The disappointing thing is that I have no reason to think Colton could have gotten a comparable job at a power 5 school. He hasn't paid his dues and worked his way up the ladder...just took advantage of winning the birth lottery and skipped a couple of steps on normal path to becoming an assistant coach at an OU level school. Hopefully I am wrong and Colton is an aggressive really talented recruiter and has a great basketball mind.
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
sybarite
National Champion

I am a bit uncomfortable with this. I'm not sold on JT Gasso, nor Mike Stoops. But, some of the players have had good things to say about JT and Colton. I wonder if Jan, after recovering from cancer, just isn't up to being on the road as much recruiting.

I guess it is what it is. I'll just wait and see. I thought Hook was the one that wanted to be a coach?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
tycat947
Elite Eight

Geez! I thought Joe C and Gallogly gave Sherri a good talking to as one of Gallogly’s first actions as President!!! It seems to be working with recruiting! I guess they will have to have another talk!!! SMH!
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #10
Rbeam1
Walk-on

I'm not quite as upset about this as others. Young people respond better to younger coaches. Colton may be an excellent recruiter. Also, just because he was given an assistant job, doesn't mean he is our next head coach. Lets wait and see how it turns out. Could be great.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
Geez! I thought Joe C and Gallogly gave Sherri a good talking to as one of Gallogly’s first actions as President!!! It seems to be working with recruiting! I guess they will have to have another talk!!! SMH!
Now. That's funny..
Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
22dupree
Walk-on

I thought maybe Sherri would bring back Whitney Hand Jones.
Whitney was coaching a HS team in the Pittsburgh area, but Landry’s no longer a Steeler. Was hoping she’d comeback.
Oh well, maybe later.
22dupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
Mac
Administrator

I think he’s being groomed as a Sherri’s replacement... if he’s responsible for helping the team bring in the 2019 class I would say he’s off to a good start and adding brown or getting a post we don’t know the team is looking at would be a great start...
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #14
Oliver Hardy
All-American

Jan was recently in NRH oncology waiting room. Friend sat across from her.

Don’t have a clue if that has anything to do with the change, but it might.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
OKUman
Walk-on

This is why OU will never be a top team again under Sherri. This is a high school staff and great players want to go where they can learn from the best.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUman View Post
This is why OU will never be a top team again under Sherri. This is a high school staff and great players want to go where they can learn from the best.
That must be why we are doing so poorly in recruiting the past couple of years.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #17
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post

This makes sense. If Jan is going to have to have more visits to the doctor - for whatever reason a quick fix at this late date would be to mover her recruiting/travel responsibilities to someone else.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUman View Post
Please step back from the ledge...
cjhsooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
This makes sense. If Jan is going to have to have more visits to the doctor - for whatever reason a quick fix at this late date would be to mover her recruiting/travel responsibilities to someone else.
It could also be an annual checkup visit.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Old 09-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #20
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post

Let's allow personal medical information to remain private.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #21
soonermike22
Walk-on

Just looking at this from a different perspective. MAYBE Jan Ross does need to slow down, and that is part of the motivation. We don't hear much about recruiting, but what we do hear is Sherri and Pam visiting. When players get here, they love Jan Ross. Could we have the best of ...both worlds; a sad situation; a necessary/promising??...change. (pick one of the previous choices). A wonderful person at the home office coordinating and welcoming players, and a young and energetic person on the road recruiting?
Not sure about the nepotism involved, but approval had to be received or it would not be possible. And of course if it works, an assistant would be considered as a replacement, and if it fails they wouldn't.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #22
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeam1 View Post
I'm not quite as upset about this as others. Young people respond better to younger coaches. Colton may be an excellent recruiter. Also, just because he was given an assistant job, doesn't mean he is our next head coach. Lets wait and see how it turns out. Could be great.
Very true Colton could be an excellent recruiter and assistant. But still it is a taking a major risk when Colton has zero experience at either on the Division I level. One would think Sherri could have acquired a top national D-I/P5 assistant that had both experience and a proven recruiting track record at a proven Power 5 school. One on paper that would appear possibily to be a preferred solution from OU's perspective is former Sooner Dionnah Jackson-Durrett at Mississippi State.

Given the right contract with both money and opportunity it would appear Dionnah might be a legitimate prospective coach with interest. But Dionnah may have preferred to continue coaching for Vic Schaefer rather than for Sherri with MSU making the championship game the past two seasons before losing to South Carolina and Notre Dame. Regardless there has to be several more proven top assistants that Sherri bypassed to select her son.

But historically Sherri has avoided hiring top proven D-I/P5 assistants for her staff Hansmeyer had (1 year student assistant at UConn), DeCosta (4 years assistant at Kansas) and Bo Overton (3 years men's assistant ar ORU). Jan Ross and Chad Thrailkill had no D-1 experience. Sherri is going to continue to be Sherri. It is what it is.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...D=31000&ATCLI3 D=208801597

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_DeCosta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Overton

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 09-14-2018 at 12:52 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
Let's allow personal medical information to remain private.
I 100% agree! That’s how rumors are started but then again, this board has been a rumor mill over the years!
Quote:
Quote: