ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 08-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #1
Stringmusic
Role Player

Default Every Day

Every day I log in here looking to see if SC has added a big - or 2 - via recruiting or transfer. Every day - nothing. The clock is ticking.
Stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Default Re: Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmusic View Post
Every day I log in here looking to see if SC has added a big - or 2 - via recruiting or transfer. Every day - nothing. The clock is ticking.
Won't be many, if any, added for the current season who would be eligible. Would be for next year, recruiting-wise.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
sybarite
National Champion

Where was this big to come from? There aren't that many girls of 6-4 or more. We have heard something about most of them. There are a few in the transfer portal, but no great player in that portal either. The speed with which everyone jumped into the Sedona Prince situation reveals how few prospects there are of that category. There may have been three transfers of someone who might have been of interest to us---barely. This has been more of a pipe dream than a reality.

We HAVE what we will have, most likely. Bloom, Williston,, and Lampkin will likely fight it out for a position as the primary post. I don't know who has what ability. We barely saw Williston. Nydia was raw. Bloom is an uncertainty. I hardly think Sherri Coale had any intention of going to the five and dime and getting a post to last until she could get a Courtney. Her "Courtney" didn't work out---transferred to Rice.

Indeed, at the time, Sherri made a remark that the game is changing. The back-to-the basket post is difficult to find. Baylor got lucky with Brown's mother having been a teammate of Mulkey's. Baylor does OK, for now. But, everyone else struggles to find posts. SC, ND, and UConn seem to have some success, but it is the rest of their team that wins titles. They seem to do better with a couple of power forwards in the middle. Oregon State seems to be able to recruit posts, but they haven't won anything with them yet.

I suspect that Sherri may have another 6-4 or taller girl in her sites. But, I think it should be clear that she is looking at Madi/Liz types. We seem to be looking at a lot of 6-2 to 6-3 girls who can move and run. I think she has some talent on this team, and she will be able to win some games because they have the ability to score. Strangely enough, this team had the talent to hang with UConn for three quarters last year. It was just horribly raw. It has more talent this year. But, it is still raw. Hopefully, having a junior of competence and some experienced sophomores is different from having all freshman, in injured soph,, and another soph who wanted to be a star without developing consistency to do it.

If you are looking for us to get a 6-6 post from transfer, dream on. We are going through the regular procedures of building a team. No hiring AAU coaches with a star recruit. No flouting of the rules. You just build like you built in 2002, the best team you ever had.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmusic View Post

Ouwomensbb.boards.net is a better forum with much more information on recruiting. It also does not require a membership in order to comment / ask questions. Also a lot less hostility and openness to different opinions!

It does appear besides Lemons our '19 class is done, unfortunately. I hope the eternal SC optimist Syb is correct in that we are waiting for the next class to get our Target big girls, but unless we improve drastically, I don't see a top-10 committing to OU any time soon, unless she's a life-long sooner fan or related to one. I certainly hope I'm wrong!

I'm going to go out on a limb and boldly say, with what I know we have, this coming season will be an improvement upon last season by 7 games or so, we will be lucky to be a bubble team.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 PM   #5
sybarite
National Champion

https://starlocalmedia.com/planocour..._medium=social

Above is a story of Jordyn Merritt, Jordan Webster, and Navaeh Tot who led the Cy Fair team to a seventh-place finish. Merritt has some confusion around her. Highly-ranked, she has been recruited by all of the Texas schools as well as many nationally. On the other hand, the Texas boards seem to think that no school in Texas actually offered Merritt a scholarship. There are no Texas schools in her final list. Looking West coast or SE.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #6
Stringmusic
Role Player

Syb - I agree - skilled 6-4 posts are quite rare. When one becomes available it's like throwing a June Bug into a chicken pen.
Stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
https://starlocalmedia.com/planocour..._medium=social

Above is a story of Jordyn Merritt, Jordan Webster, and Navaeh Tot who led the Cy Fair team to a seventh-place finish. Merritt has some confusion around her. Highly-ranked, she has been recruited by all of the Texas schools as well as many nationally. On the other hand, the Texas boards seem to think that no school in Texas actually offered Merritt a scholarship. There are no Texas schools in her final list. Looking West coast or SE.
Even though players have been overrated in the past, Merritt seems to be ranked consistently, maybe she wants to get out of Texas and fully enjoy college life, I see San Diego St is also a finalist for Tot... they could be a team on the rise in a few years.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
sybarite
National Champion

I saw something that said Prince was headed to Oregon. Really? With UConn needing a post?

Baylor is recruiting another PG they say is as good as Andrews? Want both? Probably not likely. Hailey Van Lith of Washington.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
sybarite
National Champion

I assume that the small guard driving to the rim in OUWBB twitter is Lemon.

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall
Old 08-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
I saw something that said Prince was headed to Oregon. Really? With UConn needing a post?

Baylor is recruiting another PG they say is as good as Andrews? Want both? Probably not likely. Hailey Van Lith of Washington.

I saw that on their forum! they are confident they will get Andrews but if they don't they will settle for Van Lith apparently...they must know something we don't know yet. Surely both wouldn't play on the same team? What a dilemma to have indeed! Currently suffering from a wealth of riches down there in Waco!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
I assume that the small guard driving to the rim in OUWBB twitter is Lemon.

https://twitter.com/OU_WBBall
I believe that’s Dee driving to the rim...
Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
I saw that on their forum! they are confident they will get Andrews but if they don't they will settle for Van Lith apparently...they must know something we don't know yet. Surely both wouldn't play on the same team? What a dilemma to have indeed! Currently suffering from a wealth of riches down there in Waco!
Van Lith is more of a combo guard and could probably play with Andrews... but I think both players will need to have the ball in there hands to maximize there skills...
Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
soonermike22
Walk-on

You would think that a center could be sold on coming to OU with a wild open spot and real talent on the perimeter. I think the failure to do so is another big time failure on our returning coaches
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #14
sybarite
National Champion

Then, it is also quite possible that seventeen-year-olds aren't all that smart.

After all, some people thought Hound Dog was a good song.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #15
sybarite
National Champion

Esmery Martinez, the No. 13 forward in the class of 2019 who signed to play basketball for @TexasWBB
in June, will not enroll in school, per UT official. Texas will have no further comment @statesman
#Onemore

No reason given.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #16
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Esmery Martinez, the No. 13 forward in the class of 2019 who signed to play basketball for @TexasWBB
in June, will not enroll in school, per UT official. Texas will have no further comment @statesman
#Onemore

No reason given.
Saw on another board that her English is very limited, I’m guessing it could be something to do with qualifying for the NCAA...
Old 08-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
sybarite
National Champion

I think she got into something to do with an FDM program. I don't know exactly what her role was, but she was supposedly having a class in the Dominican Republica, her home, to teach basketball when she was supposed to be enrolling at Texas. Then, there is a matter of who dropped who. Bit strange. Why would she host a program in the Dominican when she is supposed to be at Texas? Communication issues?
Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 AM   #18
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Per the attached post she also committed and signed with MSU before backing out prior to her Texas commitment 3 weeks later.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...ase-132600510/
Old 08-09-2019, 04:58 AM   #19
sybarite
National Champion

This takes Texas down to three players for 2019:

From Australian U-16 team in 2017
Ashley Hannan 6-4 post Australia 18
Isabel Parker 5-10 Guard Australia 18

https://www.fiba.basketball/asia/u16...ia#|tab=roster

and from the 2019 FIBA World Cup champion
5-10 G Celeste Taylor

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9115

We might want to save that Australian link for a potential prospect for OU.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #20
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Still little if any information on womens basketball recruiting. No a new thing. We usually don't know much about OU recruits until they commit.

Really don't understand why.
SoonerinNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #21
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I'm assuming at this point there is no news, since we haven't heard anything and school has started/will start very soon. I'm a tad disappointed, even though I didn't expect much, go figure. I guess I just thought if we went after any late additions it would definitely be a post, rather than a PG in Lemons. Speaking of, she's not yet added to the roster...is there an issue here? I want to put faith in SC and trust she knows what she's doing in not adding another big girl, but my faith has wavered tremendously over the past two seasons. Maybe Lampkin has made great strides over the off season and Bloom is better than her highlights and they are enough? Maybe she is confident we will sign a good post for the class of 2020? Who knows anymore with this program. With the amount of transfers out there I do know there shouldn't be an excuse, as there have got to be some available (or were) posts out there better than what we already have, so if we have trouble this next season at that position and it leads to another poor season, I believe SC will be solely to blame. We can't have a glaring weakness and expect to beat good teams, and 6'0" tall girls won't cut it in DI wbb IMO. I know i'm probably in the minority here, but I just want us to win!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #22
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
I'm assuming at this point there is no news, since we haven't heard anything and school has started/will start very soon. I'm a tad disappointed, even though I didn't expect much, go figure. I guess I just thought if we went after any late additions it would definitely be a post, rather than a PG in Lemons. Speaking of, she's not yet added to the roster...is there an issue here? I want to put faith in SC and trust she knows what she's doing in not adding another big girl, but my faith has wavered tremendously over the past two seasons. Maybe Lampkin has made great strides over the off season and Bloom is better than her highlights and they are enough? Maybe she is confident we will sign a good post for the class of 2020? Who knows anymore with this program. With the amount of transfers out there I do know there shouldn't be an excuse, as there have got to be some available (or were) posts out there better than what we already have, so if we have trouble this next season at that position and it leads to another poor season, I believe SC will be solely to blame. We can't have a glaring weakness and expect to beat good teams, and 6'0" tall girls won't cut it in DI wbb IMO. I know i'm probably in the minority here, but I just want us to win!
I agree with you! Been really disappointed with the recruiting the last few years. Nothing wrong with the recruits we have gotten, but not a balanced class or roster. And I Thought (and still do) that if SC had really wanted a better center the coaching staff could have worked to find one somewhere, JC, transfer, freshman, or something if they WANTED TO. Not getting one to me meant they didn't work hard enough, or had criteria that eliminated too many for non basketball reasons. I did not renew my tickets and reduced my Sooner Club donations because of the lack of quality of wbb.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #23
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonermike22 View Post
I agree with you! Been really disappointed with the recruiting the last few years. Nothing wrong with the recruits we have gotten, but not a balanced class or roster. And I Thought (and still do) that if SC had really wanted a better center the coaching staff could have worked to find one somewhere, JC, transfer, freshman, or something if they WANTED TO. Not getting one to me meant they didn't work hard enough, or had criteria that eliminated too many for non basketball reasons. I did not renew my tickets and reduced my Sooner Club donations because of the lack of quality of wbb.
I think it is Sherri's personal prospect profile that makes getting the needed talent so difficult and do have some confirmation from within the program that is case. I too eliminated my Sooner Club donation for WBB because of performance on the court. No need to pay for premium seats when there are 3,000 of them empty and available to anyone with any ticket. I also give away my tickets 30% of the time as the interest is no longer there.