ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Default Jackie Stiles added as 2nd new assistant

WTF???
If you were going to go with someone this inexperienced from a coaching standpoint.
Zero P5 experience. Zero experience recruiting the elite kids that OU needs to start attracting. I'm sure she's big time with the Missouri State crowd.
But an elite player from Dallas or Houston has no freaking clue who she is.
At a minimum, we needed to add an elite recruiter ideally with ties to the Southwest/West. Or a young assistant from a current top team recruiting at the level we need to be at.
And got a fired coach from Penn State and an assistant from small school in Missouri.

So bascially, Sherri got rejected a number of times. No one is joining this sinking ship.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Default Re: Jackie Stiles added as 2nd new assistant

From Eric Bailey...

Quote:
Stiles is the second coach to join Oklahoma’s coaching staff following a disappointing 8-22 season. Former Penn State head coach Coquese Washington was named an OU assistant coach last Thursday.

Stiles moves from Missouri State following a coaching change at the Missouri Valley Conference school. Kellie Harper was named Tennessee’s coach following the Lady Bears’ recent run to the NCAA Sweet 16. Stiles had been on Harper’s staff since 2013.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasooner View Post
WTF???
If you were going to go with someone this inexperienced from a coaching standpoint.
Zero P5 experience. Zero experience recruiting the elite kids that OU needs to start attracting. I'm sure she's big time with the Missouri State crowd.
At a minimum, we needed to add an elite recruiter ideally with ties to the Southwest/West. Or a young assistant from a current top team recruiting at the level we need to be at.
And got a fired coach from Penn State and an assistant from small school in Missouri.

So bascially, Sherri got rejected a number of times. No one is joining this sinking ship.
Clown post.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Jackie Stiles (Wiki Biography)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Stiles

Personal Biography from her own site
http://jstilesonline.com/about/biography-jackie-stiles/

April 2013: Hired as Coach at Missouri State
https://missouristatebears.com/news/...ing_Staff.aspx

Quote:
Since 2007, Stiles has owned and operated her own business, J. Stiles Total Training, which includes a variety of ventures including elite basketball training camps and clinics, personal training, motivational speaking appearances and sports broadcasting.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
WTF???

They definitely need someone with 4/5 recruiting success with the ability to coach and develop players in the front court. I think it's a long shot to be able to sign some competitive players for the next two years.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Stiles is a great hire IMO. Not sure about Washington, but Stiles I can see taking over the program some day after SC leaves. If only they had fired CC and brought in a third coach that could help develop the big girls...Maybe Stiles has some ties that we will need recruiting-wise that will help. I'm cautiously optimistic about this and am now looking forward to another an announcement of last minute commits or transfers...

If none are announced, then i'm not so sure next year will be a HUGE improvement from this year. I'm sure it'll be an improved team, but without a productive Big, there's just not much hope with what have now for us to compete with the rest of the conference (can Lampkin play a productive 5?), let alone national scale. I certainly don't think Scott is big enough at a very generous 6'1" to play as our Center...BUT, I've been pleasantly surprised before though, so here's to hoping!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I frankly don't know what to think. Obviously a tremendous player.

One thing I do think:

I think this means Colton gets elevated to Assistant Head Coach. If that happens, Sherri needs to be fired after this season no matter how the team performs.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Hey Coachtalk,
You've recently wandered over here into this argument.
I enjoy your posts for the most part on the Men's board.
But you may disagree with me, but Clown post is not exactly
lifting the discussion. I can call you names as well.

To me the number issue with the women's roster is talent.
The only way to fix a talent gap is recruiting. Ask Coach Grinch on why our defensive backfield was 129th in the nation. And why he hired the best recruiting CB coach he knew. And OU has just got verbals from two elite CBs prospects.

I'll be honest a former elite player like Stiles is an interesting hire.
I would have preferred someone younger that had some name appeal with current recruits.
A somewhat recent WNBA All Star player for instance
Stiles does nothing to resolve our recruiting problems.
Nothing.Tell me how many top 25 players she's signed in 6 years at Missouri State? None. That's a fact.

Washington might in recruiting. She's very experienced. However, she obviously was not recruiting at a high enough level to keep from being fired at Penn State. Also a fact.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
euphguy
Starter

Quote:
Hey Coachtalk,

The only way to fix a talent gap is recruiting. Ask Coach Grinch on why our defensive backfield was 129th in the nation. And why he hired the best recruiting CB coach he knew. And OU has just got verbals from two elite CBs prospects.

I would have preferred someone younger that had some name appeal with current recruits.
Nothing.Tell me how many top 25 players she's signed in 6 years at Missouri State? None. That's a fact.

Washington might in recruiting. She's very experienced. However, she obviously was not recruiting at a high enough level to keep from being fired at Penn State. Also a fact.
Sorry, but CoachTalk is right. Clown post! Let's compare to Pam and Chad - I (along with many and perhaps most others) would take Coquese and Jackie any day! Honestly, what else were you expecting? People who talk about the need to develop 4/5 players - you do not have to be a former big to do that. What "bigs" coach recruited A'ja Wilson at South Carolina? What about Baylor's Kalani Brown? Mississippi State's Teaira McCowan? That's right.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Hey Coachtalk,

Understandable.

Well respected for a 2nd assistant. Many think she’ll be a HC very very soon.
Here or somewhere else.
To fly off the handle for the 2nd hire is a bit much.

She has name value. She’s not 24 but we’ll see what happens.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
Sorry, but CoachTalk is right. Clown post! Let's compare to Pam and Chad - I (along with many and perhaps most others) would take Coquese and Jackie any day! Honestly, what else were you expecting? People who talk about the need to develop 4/5 players - you do not have to be a former big to do that. What "bigs" coach recruited A'ja Wilson at South Carolina? What about Baylor's Kalani Brown? Mississippi State's Teaira McCowan? That's right.
It should be noted that Associated Head Coach Johnnie Harris has been the focal point for the recruitment and development of the MSU bigs with McCowan and Martha Alwal the her two best. She has been with Vic Schaefer since both were assistants for Gary Blair at Arkansas before Texas A&M.

Associate Head Coach Bill Brock does a similar job to Harris' at Baylor on his list of student athletes includes Brittany Griner, Destiny Williams, Sophia Young, Steffanie Blackmon, Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox.

I cannot speak for South Carolina. I know too little about them.

https://hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2004&path=wbball

https://baylorbears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=332&path=wbball

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 04-24-2019 at 08:07 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
Mac
Administrator

https://gamecocksonline.com/coaches....74&path=wbball

Fred Chmiel works with the post at South Carolina, and has help turn some of there post into WNBA draft picks.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphguy View Post
You might want to take a look at the coaching rosters to see the makeup and dynamics of the coaching staffs. They have great post coaches who have obviously done some great recruiting over the years.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #14
swok34
Walk-on

I really like both of these hires. Maybe a road is being paved.........?

Coquese Washington is listed as an associate head coach, not an assistant coach. I have always loved Jackie Stiles.......SW Missouri State was an awesome team this year, they made it to the Sweet 16.

I look forward to seeing how the team fares this year and I was very down on them by season's end and not certain I was going to even support them next year. Who cares right? I am only one fan, but I think many fans think as I do.
swok34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #15
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by swok34 View Post
I really like both of these hires. Maybe a road is being paved.........?

Coquese Washington is listed as an associate head coach, not an assistant coach. I have always loved Jackie Stiles.......SW Missouri State was an awesome team this year, they made it to the Sweet 16.

I look forward to seeing how the team fares this year and I was very down on them by season's end and not certain I was going to even support them next year. Who cares right? I am only one fan, but I think many fans think as I do.
Not really sure this is a true fan... Pick a new team, I hear golden state warriors are pretty good this year...
Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #16
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Let's be very clear.
If OU had gone 20-10 and Sherri had two staff openings.
I think these hirings would be approached by some (like me) very differently.
In that circumstance, I'd be all in favor of adding these two very talented individuals
to the existing solid base, probably see both of them as potential upgrades. In reality, these
changes should have been made before things bottomed out.

But I don't think it's really been absorbed how bad a season OU had last year. OU went
8-22. Short all 5 starters being lost to injury in some fluke incident, there's no way OU should
be 8-22. Lon goes 8-22 he's resigning. LR goes 8-4,7-5, 3-9 consecutively he's getting canned.

And half measure changes in Sherri's SOP are not going to get it done. These are safe hires.
They are not Bob hiring LR. Or LR firing Mike Stoops and hiring Alex Grinch.
Everything in recruiting needs to be changed and re-thought. And these two hires to me don't show
that Sherri understands how big a problem she has in recruiting.
And that recruiting is the only way out of this crapfest that she created.
We don't need a simple one room rehab. We were 8-22. We need a tear down to the studs
gut job. Sherri's completely earned the right to oversee that renovation.
But she's on the clock. And she's behind schedule. And she just hired two new good supervisors.
But the electrical is all busted up old and out of code. And she didn't hire a supervisor whose
specialty is electrical rehab.

I would love to be wrong. I've never ducked a message board to eat my entree of crow.
I thought Lon was a terrible hire, the definition of money pursuing retread.
I didn't think that LR should have pursued Jalen Hurts back in January. That Hurts cannot run our offense effectively. He's not accurate enough, does not have the touch needed to complete all throws. Does not throw into tight windows. etc. Looks like another helping of crow there.

Last edited by atlantasooner; 04-25-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

+1. Although I am going to defer to Lincoln on Hurts.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 04-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Let's be very clear.
If OU had gone 20-10 and Sherri had two staff openings.
I think these hirings would be approached by some (like me) very differently.
In that circumstance, I'd be all in favor of adding these two very talented individuals
to the existing solid base, probably see both of them as potential upgrades. In reality, these
changes should have been made before things bottomed out.

But I don't think it's really been absorbed how bad a season OU had last year. OU went
8-22. Short all 5 starters being lost to injury in some fluke incident, there's no way OU should
be 8-22. Lon goes 8-22 he's resigning. LR goes 8-4,7-5, 3-9 consecutively he's getting canned.

And half measure changes in Sherri's SOP are not going to get it done. These are safe hires.
They are not Bob hiring LR. Or LR firing Mike Stoops and hiring Alex Grinch.
Everything in recruiting needs to be changed and re-thought. And these two hires to me don't show
that Sherri understands how big a problem she has in recruiting.
And that recruiting is the only way out of this crapfest that she created.
We don't need a simple one room rehab. We were 8-22. We need a tear down to the studs
gut job. Sherri's completely earned the right to oversee that renovation.
But she's on the clock. And she's behind schedule. And she just hired two new good supervisors.
But the electrical is all busted up old and out of code. And she didn't hire a supervisor whose
specialty is electrical rehab.

I would love to be wrong. I've never ducked a message board to eat my entree of crow.
I thought Lon was a terrible hire, the definition of money pursuing retread.
I didn't think that LR should be purse Jalen Hurts. That Hurts cannot run our offense effectively. He's not accurate enough, does not have the touch needed to complete all throws. Does not throw into tight windows. etc.
I disagree. Kids are smarter than you think. They don't just come to OU because the assistant coach is young, likes rap music and dresses hip.

Kids want to be coached by experienced, knowledgeable adults most the time. So what you are saying is go get a high-risk high reward early 20's gal?

Due to the bolded comment, Ill take the opposite of what you say 9-9x...
Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
swok34
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Not really sure this is a true fan... Pick a new team, I hear golden state warriors are pretty good this year...
I have been a fan since 1997 and held season tickets until last year......and missed very few games in that time span.

not sure what qualifies as a true fan if that does not.
swok34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Some people just fail to grasp that true fans can also be critical fans. Critiquing a team does not mean you don't support the team.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I disagree. Kids are smarter than you think. They don't just come to OU because the assistant coach is young, likes rap music and dresses hip.

Kids want to be coached by experienced, knowledgeable adults most the time. So what you are saying is go get a high-risk high reward early 20's gal?

Due to the bolded comment, Ill take the opposite of what you say 9-9x...
What I'm saying is that talent acquisition is the number one program problem.
Signing top 20 kids consistently is the only way to get to the newly stated goal by
Sherri on Twitter today.
Washington was signing talent early in her coaching tenure at Penn State then the talent dropped off. Look she's a very experienced assistant with a great resume.
But dig up one quote from Muffet McGraw for me where McGraw says
Washington was our best recruiter/closer, I'll withdraw my statement.

Stiles other than her own LOI has never signed a top 20 player. And more worrisome she's not been actively recruiting top 20 kids. Now she has been heavily involved in talent evaluations of lower ranked kids doing more with less. So that's a huge positive. Can she become a great recruiter at the level OU needs. Entirely possible. But she's going to have to develop that skill set.

Recruiting is a marathon not a sprint. Recruiting a top hoops player means you are involved with them over a 3 to 4 year time period.

I was looking for someone from a program that is routinely signing those kids. That coach already would have built up relationships with the kids OU needs to sign. Or a current WNBA star looking to get into coaching whose name appeal jump starts those relationships. Someone with some gravitas/star/instant cred/appeal.

And for all of your name calling you or euphguy have not once addressed my primary point.
Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting in any meaningful manner.

Last edited by atlantasooner; 04-25-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #22
OUDallas66
Walk-on

atlantasooner, you have hit the nail directly on the head. Because I'm not a frequent poster my validation of your reply may not carry much weight. Is CC going to hit the recruiting trail? Who will be the primary recruiters? The Head Coach is most cases is the Closer. Thank you for your post.
OUDallas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #23
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
What I'm saying is that talent acquisition is the number one program problem.
Signing top 20 kids consistently is the only way to get to the newly stated goal by
Sherri on Twitter today.
Washington was signing talent early in her coaching tenure at Penn State then the talent dropped off. Look she's a very experienced assistant with a great resume.
But dig up one quote from Muffet McGraw for me where McGraw says
Washington was our best recruiter/closer, I'll withdraw my statement.

Stiles other than her own LOI has never signed a top 20 player. And more worrisome she's not been actively recruiting top 20 kids. Now she has been heavily involved in talent evaluations of lower ranked kids doing more with less. So that's a huge positive. Can she become a great recruiter at the level OU needs. Entirely possible. But she's going to have to develop that skill set.

Recruiting is a marathon not a sprint. Recruiting a top hoops player means you are involved with them over a 3 to 4 year time period.

I was looking for someone from a program that is routinely signing those kids. To jump start that process that has already built up relationships with the kids OU to sign. Or a current WNBA star looking to get into coaching whose name appeal jump starts those relationships.
Someone with some gravitas/star/instant cred/appeal.

And for all of your name calling you or euphguy have not once addressed my primary point.
Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting in any meaningful manner.
We all know we need better players! signing an inexperienced washed up pro... doesn't automatically mean you sign top 5 players.

You're unrealistic about what you want to happen.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #24
inoref
All-American

Without recruiting the talent doesn't matter that much who is coaching. I say this not trying to talk bad about the players but I just don't see much talent on this team..IMO they look like a 1982 class 2A high school team (a good class 2a team) I just don't see OU women basketball as being relevant in the big12 much anymore. I do believe that the team will be better next year but that's not saying a lot. I wish the new coaches good luck
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #25
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I partially agree. I believe we will be better, a little bit.

I say we win 16 games next year. Now that's without knowing the schedule or if we pick up any other players before then. With what we have, i dont see there being huge improvement, just a steady bit by bit.

If you look at a lot of our games we lost, we played a big hand in those losses with our turnovers. If we can get more disciplined and not shoot ourselves in the foot so much we'd have a better shot at winning a lot more games. If we don't get any better this next season and we start seeing the same of what we see every single year then we know its completely SC's fault and she should be terminated, preferably even before the season is over.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote