ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #151
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Default Re: Coale "fires" DeCosta and Thraikill

If you enjoy a fast exciting sport played by top quality athletes that win you will enjoy OU SB. Great game much better than baseball. It also helps that the Sooners are dominant.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #152
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
And, this is why I stopped reading most of your posts, as well as those of others.

For certain I won't lose any sleep. Keep it up ignorance is bliss!!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #153
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
And, this is why I stopped reading most of your posts, as well as those of others.
Smart idea.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #154
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
If you enjoy a fast exciting sport played by top quality athletes that win you will enjoy OU SB. Great game much better than baseball. It also helps that the Sooners are dominant.
Agreed,
Our men's BB team is pretty pathetic. Basically SB, FB & gymnastics seem to be the only winning programs at OU these days.

Gasso is not afraid to take transfers and her team has done well with them!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #155
betterstill
Walk-on

I do not know about this year but golf did pretty well in recent seasons.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #156
gwydion
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterstill View Post
I do not know about this year but golf did pretty well in recent seasons.
Doing pretty well this season too.
And we do have a Big XII champion in wrestling. Pinned a guy form osu in 54 seconds to take the title. Wish him luck at Nationals.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #157
Speedy17
Role Player

Oklahoma volleyball coach Lindsey Gray-Walton is a heck of a coach. She turned the program around from 6 wins to 17 in the first year. She is the real deal. She is exactly what you want as the next coach of OU WBB unfortunately, we will have to wait.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #158
atlantasooner
All-Conference

speedy,
Gray-Walton is very active in Twitter.
Very connected to LR and Annie Hanson.
Everyone is raving about her.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #159
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasooner View Post
speedy,
Young coaches get it and embrace it.....older coaches may do it but they don't embrace it. Big difference.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #160
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

It has nothing to do with young or old. Some coaches get a little success and hang on to what got them there no matter how the game changes. Sherri had a final four team with 4 guards and a center around 6-0. Looks like she is still trying to win that way.

The legends are those who continually reinvent themselves and change with the game. Most of them are responsible for many of the changes. Actually true in almost any scenario, sports or not. John Wooden, the legendary UCLA coach really enjoyed his greatest success at a pretty advanced age.

There is no comparison in any form of the men's team to the women's team. The men were competative with every team they played except Kansas State and the late meltdown against Wisconsin. They had a weak senior class and lost McGusty to transfer. Clearly recruiting mistakes by Lon but generally he has recruited pretty well and held on to most of the best ones. Sherri is sitting on the sidelines this year watching her defections playing a key role in their team's post seasons success. Meanwhile she had no effective players above the freshman level except for Ana.

I am also a believer in Gray-Walton. She came into a disaster. OU's best player from a bad team had transfeted to Washington and the cupboard was bare. She brought in several transfers who were impact players and tied for third in the Big 12. Appears that she has a couple of exciting freshman players coming in next year. Picked up some good freshman in her first year.

I don't want Sherri fired but I want to see the program go in a direction to become more competitive. Reinstating the summer camps would be a start. Hiring strong assistants and letting them recruit would help. Also recruiting to have a good team as well as a team of good people. And devoting playing time to players with potential rather than those without potential but good teammates.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #161
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Lon's incoming class and redshirting star (Reeves) need to be as good as advertised.
I do think the assistant turnover set the program back.

Last edited by atlantasooner; 03-16-2019 at 01:13 PM.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #162
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
speedy,
I think her hire was one of Joe C's best at OU.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #163
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Lon's incoming class and redshirting star (Reeves) need to be as good as advertised.
I do think the assistant turnover set the program back.
Absolutely, Henson and Hill were in total sync with Lon and they would get on the players. They really miss them.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #164
mikeareese
Role Player

Men's tennis is usually top rated. I do think this will be Coale's biggest challenge. Recruiting assistants that are up and coming to help improve OU basketball. I could see Durret, Ontjes, Brown, another top assistant or even a dynamic high school coach. I think OU could pay them more then what they are making. It is the Alma Mater. That can have a pull on people. I do think Colton needs to find another job and show what he is capable of.
mikeareese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #165
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

But here are some potential real problems:

1. Sherri hires two new assistants. They get here and next season is almost as bad. Sherri gets fired. They are out of a job after a year.

2. She hires the two new assistants. There's not enough progress made and Sherri retires. They are out of a job after a year and they get partially blamed for the reason a hall of fame coach is gone. What coach is going to put his family and themselves through that possibility.

3. She hires the two new assistants and they all don't mesh, they get fed up and quit because she won't listen to them in coaching or recruiting.

4. She hires the two new assistants. She can't stand them and she fires them after a year.

5. What if she evaluates junior to 2nd in charge and that keeps other good coaches from coming?

There are other scenarios too. I'm just beginning to get a bad feeling about how this is all going to turn out.

I mean I just can't see top caliber coaches signing on to this dumpster fire there is so much uncertainty -- unless they come from the junior college level or DII, DIII.

Would any of you put your career at risk to make a jump to this heap of burning rubble?
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #166
soonermike22
Walk-on

Yes it is always easier to find the bad side, because their are more ways to make a mistake than to find the best case result, or even close to the best case result. There are lots of good young coaches at lesser programs that would take a chance to go to a P5 school, but you have to work to find, evaluate, and recruit them. And OU is not a heap of burning rubble. We still have good facilities, a big budget, a history of good teams in our past, a fan base that will attend if we play well, and a coach that is a great person and in the HOF.
Don't mistake a awful year as the end of the program. Failures can break you, or give you opportunities.
soonermike22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #167
soonermike22
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
Men's tennis is usually top rated. I do think this will be Coale's biggest challenge. Recruiting assistants that are up and coming to help improve OU basketball. I could see Durret, Ontjes, Brown, another top assistant or even a dynamic high school coach. I think OU could pay them more then what they are making. It is the Alma Mater. That can have a pull on people. I do think Colton needs to find another job and show what he is capable of.
+1
Old 03-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #168
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Mike,

I think you make a good point that someone, somewhere is always willing to take the risk -- and that is true. The question becomes is that someone who is great/good enough to make a difference maker under the current circumstances.

But I don't think I'm trying to find the bad side. I believe I'm looking at the reality of the situation and judging what our chances really are to escape from this mess with the same head coach here.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 03-17-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #169
soonermike22
Walk-on

OH
I think this is an opportunity where we COULD get better. You are correct that there are lots of ways to mess it up. For me the best case scenario is for Colton to find another job and take away the problem of nepotism, we hire 3 good assistants that can and will help us recruit and improve the players we have.
The odds are that a big improvement will not happen, but the mens program is a good example of how good long term assistants can really help a team, or losing them can hurt. I don't have any idea if the athletic or school administration have input into coaching changes, both hiring and firing, but I hope so. That might improve the odds of us getting back to where we all want the program to be. It isn't a must that it occur with this HC, or whether with another.

PS, the King (Barry) went thru a less successful stretch and Banowsky had a talk with him. Maybe SC did get a push to improve
PPS Keep up the post Oliver Hardy, as it is interesting to guess and opine.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #170
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I think she did, Mike. New president and GOP regents are bottom line kinda folks. They may not care a darn about WBB, but they do care about the university' image and losing millions a year.

I know virtually every WBB program, is a money loser except for a very small handful. But I know the actual people/kind of people running the show at OU now -- and 8 and 20-something isn't going to be tolerated for more than another year, I'm betting.

And let me add to any who want to argue that the athletic department is separate from OU and runs on its own money. That's not how regents, the new president and the Oklahoma legislature look at this.

I can absolutely guarantee that is the gospel fact.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #171
CoachTalk
Final Four

Any news here?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #172
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Sounds like we won't have any news until after the playoffs are over. I'm sure there are discussions in the works already, but usually it seems like we don't hear anything official until then. I'm hoping we get 1 or 2 additions to the roster as well as the new coaches. Fingers crossed!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #173
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

It would be great news on both fronts. Iím sure weíll hear something if her planned new hires get knocked out of the tournament.

If they arenít coaching, there is a need to get it decided before our recruits start getting concerned and thinking of de-committing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #174
Mac
Administrator

Any news on who Sherri is bringing in? Iím hearing the 2020 prospects can start taking official visits this weekend, and Iím sure no knowing who will be coaching you for the next 4 years will put OU at a disadvantage.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #175
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

It needs to be PDQ for hiring the assistants and signing some additional players.

30 percent of the roster is basically open as well as two coaching slots.

I think she has to make a decision within days and not weeks as I outlined on another thread.