ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 02-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #51
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

There certainly has been quite a bit of improvement in Ana (in great part because she is now healthy), Jess and several others.

There also is room for a lot more improvement from those players (although I canít imagine how Llanusa can get much better).

I think when we get a solid post and an additional 4, this team is going to be pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #52
sybarite
National Champion

Default Re: Bedlam women's basketball at 8 pm Monday

If you make the same examination of Jessi, her numbers are actually slightly down. Not much. FT%, FT%, and 3PT% slightly down. Points per game and rebounds per game slightly up.

Lampkin is up in FG% and FT%. Nydia was hitting about 25% in the first 17 games from the line, 60% recently.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #53
Soonerguy06
Role Player

All this being said I'm really disappointed by Tatum and how she turned out. I understand freshman seasons are usually the worst seasons because of insecurities, new environment, being away from home, etc. But I really thought she would be a much better player, certainly a much better offensive threat than what she turned out to be this year. She's not anywhere close to the number 24 player in her class (p nation) IMO by the way she's been this year. Jessie is a better player and probably a better point, I'll be interested to see how things develop in the offseason and who these girls become by next season. There seems to be potential but there are no guarantees in this program!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #54
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
There certainly has been quite a bit of improvement in Ana (in great part because she is now healthy), Jess and several others.

There also is room for a lot more improvement from those players (although I canít imagine how Llanusa can get much better).

I think when we get a solid post and an additional 4, this team is going to be pretty good.

First Ana has been outstanding the last 10 games but I think there is definitely room for Ana to improve. Especially moving to her left. She virtually always trys to go to her right only. When she trys to go left it is 2-3 bounces and she is stopped. Also I would like to see her going away from primarily the scoop shot when she goes to the rim.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #55
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
All this being said I'm really disappointed by Tatum and how she turned out. I understand freshman seasons are usually the worst seasons because of insecurities, new environment, being away from home, etc. But I really thought she would be a much better player, certainly a much better offensive threat than what she turned out to be this year. She's not anywhere close to the number 24 player in her class (p nation) IMO by the way she's been this year. Jessie is a better player and probably a better point, I'll be interested to see how things develop in the offseason and who these girls become by next season. There seems to be potential but there are no guarantees in this program!
I am sure TV is probably more disappointed than any of us about her play this season. I am not blaming any of the coaching staff. Hopefully, she will have a break out year next season.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:16 PM   #56
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Tatum was not a top 100 recruit by Hoopgurlz. Obviously the were more accurate in their assessment on Tatum. But Hoopgurlz had Madi ranked as the #24 recruit and I don't see that either. However Prospect Nation ranked Madi at #8 and that is massive wrong as well. That is unless Madi and Tatum's play is a result of their environment moreso than their skill set.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...s/_/class/2018

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2018

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 02-28-2019 at 08:31 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #57
sybarite
National Champion

Chasity Patterson was ranked #4 by HoopGurlz and was a McDonald''s All-American. That didn't work out as well as Jessi who I don't think was ranked by either.

Madi was a McDonald's All-American who gave a pretty good performance in the All-American game. Indeed, there was one spell late in the game where she and her close friend, Chrystine Williams, the star of the game, were head on head on the left wing, at about the three point line. Chrystine kept trying to make a move on Madi and couldn't shake her. Had to pass after trying for about ten seconds.

Madi is #4 or #5 in rebounding in a power five conference, as a freshman. She's almost averaging a double-double. I don't know that she should be rated any lower.

Sherri has said that Tatum is very close to being a freshman that gets it. As of about two weeks ago, she was as high on Tatum as any of the freshmen. We don't really know what a summer will bring. With the three newcomers, I don't expect a lot to remain the same.

Right now, I see three definitive starters: Ana, Madi, and Nydia. I see Tatum and Jessi as in a rotation with neither having a clear advantage yet. I think Taylor is a key person off the bench when it is all together. I don't yet know where to fit Bloom, Gregory, Scott, Williston, and Mandy, although I think Mandy is a b ench-warmer next year, coming on in support.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #58
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

I would agree with that, Syb.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #59
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

But let me add that we do get more scoring out of Jess and I would keep her as the starting point.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #60
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Chasity Patterson was ranked #4 by HoopGurlz and was a McDonald''s All-American. That didn't work out as well as Jessi who I don't think was ranked by either.

Madi was a McDonald's All-American who gave a pretty good performance in the All-American game. Indeed, there was one spell late in the game where she and her close friend, Chrystine Williams, the star of the game, were head on head on the left wing, at about the three point line. Chrystine kept trying to make a move on Madi and couldn't shake her. Had to pass after trying for about ten seconds.

Madi is #4 or #5 in rebounding in a power five conference, as a freshman. She's almost averaging a double-double. I don't know that she should be rated any lower.

Sherri has said that Tatum is very close to being a freshman that gets it. As of about two weeks ago, she was as high on Tatum as any of the freshmen. We don't really know what a summer will bring. With the three newcomers, I don't expect a lot to remain the same.

Right now, I see three definitive starters: Ana, Madi, and Nydia. I see Tatum and Jessi as in a rotation with neither having a clear advantage yet. I think Taylor is a key person off the bench when it is all together. I don't yet know where to fit Bloom, Gregory, Scott, Williston, and Mandy, although I think Mandy is a b ench-warmer next year, coming on in support.
Donít forget Joyner Holmes! She may be the biggest bust in #1 ranked players coming out of high school.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #61
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
Don’t forget Joyner Holmes! She may be the biggest bust in #1 ranked players coming out of high school.
No question that Holmes has not had the career anticipated but the primary reason has been injury. She was the Big 12 Freshman of the Year and first team All Conference in 2017 before her injury and to date has not been able to recover to her pre-injury level of play.

She still has a year of eligibility left. Let's wait until after her senior to label her career. But I will never consider it a bust. Just as I don't consider Maddie Manning's career a bust even though injury kept her from coming close to achieving what was anticipated becoming only a honorable mention all conference player.

Injury unfortunately ruins a lot of careers.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #62
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post

That completely ignores how much better Jessi is playing - on many levels than TV. It does not make sense to ignore play on the court.

Obviously SC has recognized it - and all of us need to do the same. Could that change - and TV get much better by next year? Sure. At that point your value of them being the same might be reasonable - but not at this point. It is really being unfair to Jessi. And ignores her hard work and improvement. I wish 2 or 3 others had improved as much.

I will admit I did not expect Jessi to do so much better than TV, but it is what it is.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #63
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
That completely ignores how much better Jessi is playing - on many levels than TV. It does not make sense to ignore play on the court.

Obviously SC has recognized it - and all of us need to do the same. Could that change - and TV get much better by next year? Sure. At that point your value of them being the same might be reasonable - but not at this point. It is really being unfair to Jessi. And ignores her hard work and improvement. I wish 2 or 3 others had improved as much.

I will admit I did not expect Jessi to do so much better than TV, but it is what it is.
I think we are talking about different things. I do not see Nydia as a starter ----at this time. When this team grows up, I do see her as a starter or serious contender.

I see different things in Jessi and Tatum. Right now, Jessi provides an advantage to our current situation.. But, right now, we are a 4-12 conference team. We need Jessi as a scoring point. Tatum seems to be less of a scorer. But, there have been times that she looks like a better floor general, capable of making better entry passes.

Now, if we have Bloom, Gabby, Liz, Madi, and Ana providing scoring, that takes the pressure off of the floor general to be a scorer. My favorite PG among the men in recent years was Quannas White who wasn't a scorer. But, he ran the floor. He had others who could score.

So, when the team grows up, I haven't seen the Jessi or Tatum that will emerge to fit with the team that emerges. It is interesting that Jessi has been the one to fit with what we have now since only two weeks ago, Sherri said at the barbecue show that Tatum would be the most likely freshman to emerge this year. She was the closest. But, the two weeks following that statement told a different story. We're still in chapter one.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #64
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Tatum was not a top 100 recruit by Hoopgurlz. Obviously the were more accurate in their assessment on Tatum. But Hoopgurlz had Madi ranked as the #24 recruit and I don't see that either. However Prospect Nation ranked Madi at #8 and that is massive wrong as well. Unless Madi and Tatum's play is a result of their environment moreso than their skill set.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...s/_/class/2018

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2018

I think it's crazy Decosta was #2 and doesn't even get PT at Baylor. I was very excited and scared to see how much damage she would do against us. Granted she's on the #1 team in the country, but still, I wonder if she will transfer out for more PT or be patient and wait her turn??
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote