ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Capel's Mustache
Role Player

Default Juwan Parker news - OU not out of it?

Sorry I'm a twitter dunce and don't know how to share the link. Scott Wright (Oklahoman) retweeted this story yesterday. The guy's name is Josh Paunil for National Recruiting Spotlight. It's dated 4/14.

Class of 2013 shooting guardJuwan Parker doesn’t plan on committing until at least the end of the summer, but he has already cut his list down to four schools, including a favorite.

“I’m down to Memphis, Vanderbilt, Tulse and Oklahoma,” Parker told NRS. “Memphis is my number one. I just like Memphis, every time I visit I love it and the coaching staff has really shown me that they want me. I just feel at home there.”

He also likes Memphis because they fit that type of system he prefers.

“They play fast and I like to play fast,” Parker said. “I think I’m versatile and can play in any type of system but I would like more of an up-tempo, up-and-down pace than a walk-up pace.”

The Tigers are recruiting him the hardest too along with the Sooners.

Although he’s already visited Memphis multiple times, Parker said he plans on visiting them once more this summer in addition to Vanderbilt. He has yet to visit the Commodores but has taken trips to Tulsa and Oklahoma.

The 6’4, 190-pound shooting guard also talked to us about why he likes the other three schools on his list.

“I like Vandy because of the school and the team gets to the tournament every year,” the Oklahoma native said. “Tulsa is the hometown team and my brother played there and my dad works there [as a law professor]. I like Oklahoma because of [head] coach [Lon] Kruger and they’re turning things around.”

Parker plans on cutting his list once more down to two schools and will commit between the end of the summer and October.
Capel's Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Tundrasooner
Role Player

Default Re: Juwan Parker news - OU not out of it?

Interesting...
Tundrasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
MNsooner
Administrator

He seems high on Memphis, but I'm glad we're not out of it.
“Very few coaches have been able to change cultures as quickly and successfully as Lon Kruger. He understands how to mold a group of individuals into one team with a common goal and has proven that time and time again. Lon has high standards for all those around him and he possesses a passion for winning, but not at any cost. That is arguably his strongest trait.”

Larry Brown
MNsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
pillmanj
Walk-on

Wonder what he is waiting on?? Because doesn't he have an offer from Memphis??
pillmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
tdsooner
Walk-on

Memphis in the driver's seat, but really glad that OU is in the mix. Kruger likes the uptempo and starting to get his type of players to run. Just didin't have the horses last year. Wish Parker would give it a little more time before deciding. He's got a lot of upside and would be suh-weet wowza if Lon and staff could land the state's top two players in him and Stevie Clark. Then a big like Randle or Woodson would really top it the 2013 class. Be patient, Juwan.. b4 committing to Memphis or elsewhere a little too soon and later regret your decision.
tdsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
61sooner
Walk-on

Wouldn't Vandy be the biggest academic challenge?
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
WTSooner
Elite Eight

The thing that scares me about both Parker and Clark is that they've said they wanted to play uptempo, and Clark has stated that he wants to see how the coach uses their pg. Well, how LK wants to use his pg, and how he is forced to use Grooms (b/c of both himself and his teammates), probably won't appeal. Hopefully LK is telling Clark just that.
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
garyeb2
All-Conference

Grooms doesn't have anything to do with the lack of uptempo. He gets up and down the court pretty darned good. Lack of depth, Pledger, and Fitz are the culprits in that walk it up the court run half court sets mess the team degenerated into last season.

Last edited by garyeb2; 04-15-2012 at 06:05 PM.
garyeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
pillmanj
Walk-on

Per twitter...Shea Seals has resigned as coach with BTW and will accept some position on Manning's staff. One would think this improves Tulsa's chances with Parker
pillmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
WTSooner
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillmanj View Post
Per twitter...Shea Seals has resigned as coach with BTW and will accept some position on Manning's staff. One would think this improves Tulsa's chances with Parker
Ugh. I'm not a big fan of Seals as a "person". Heard too many stories in recent years. But you are right, it should help them with Parker.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
BoulderSooner
All-Conference

Shea Seals resigns to reportedly join Danny Manning at TU that has to help them with Parker

Tulsa Washington boys basketball coach Shea Seals has resigned, and will reportedly take a job in some capacity on Danny Manning's new coaching staff at Tulsa University.

photo - TULSA WASHINGTON / TULSA MEMORIAL / HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL / STATE TOURNAMENT: Booker T. Washington coach Shea Seals talks to the team during a basketball game against Memorial at the Mabee Center in Tulsa on Friday, March 11, 2011. MATT BARNARD/Tulsa World ORG XMIT: DTI1103111122052003
TULSA WASHINGTON / TULSA MEMORIAL / HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL / STATE TOURNAMENT: Booker T. Washington coach Shea Seals talks to the team during a basketball game against Memorial at the Mabee Center in Tulsa on Friday, March 11, 2011. MATT BARNARD/Tulsa World ORG XMIT: DTI1103111122052003

Multimedia
Photoview all photos
Article Gallery: High school notebook: Tulsa Washington's Shea Seals steps down

Seals, who became the career leading scorer at TU during his career from 1993-97, coached Tulsa Washington to two state titles in his five-year tenure.

Tulsa television station KTUL cited sources confirming Seals would join Manning's staff, though the specific position was not known.

Read more: http://newsok.com/high-school-notebo...#ixzz1sJ0aCKga
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
WTSooner
Elite Eight

It has to be as an assistant coach (hiring of Seals), or else they can't recruit Parker, correct?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
DenverSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
Wouldn't Vandy be the biggest academic challenge?
I don't know anything about Juwan's academics but given the fact his dad is a law school professor, I suspect his family values education and he would be able to handle Vandy. I really doubt his family was the type that just let him play basketball and not make an effort on the academic side.
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
tdsooner
Walk-on

I'm not certain of Juwan's academic stadning, either, but feel that academics are a priority with the family, as BTW is a good academic school and also that in addition to his dad being a law professor at TU, it is my understanding that his brother Jason is attending law school at TU. I suspect that education is important to the family.
tdsooner is offline   Reply With Quote