OUHoops

OUHoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women's Hoops Talk (http://ouhoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Softball (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35446)

tycat947 03-28-2016 02:23 PM

Re: Softball

I see that Hypocrite U swept (2 games) the whorns in Wacko over the weekend. Third game will be in Austin later in season. I think the key to winning Big 12 again, will be series against Hypocrites in Wacko, weekend after next. Hope our pitching is ready!

sybarite 03-28-2016 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycat947 (Post 545769)
I see that Hypocrite U swept (2 games) the whorns in Wacko over the weekend. Third game will be in Austin later in season. I think the key to winning Big 12 again, will be series against Hypocrites in Wacko, weekend after next. Hope our pitching is ready!

I watched the second game. Baylor didn't win. Texas lost. Baylor scored a run on a strikeout when the catcher dropped the ball. She threw to the first baseman, who wasn't looking. The ball went down into the right field corner, and nobody went after it until the catcher yelled at them. By the time the rightfielder retrieved the ball, it was an inside-the-park home run, on a strikeout. This was the type of defense that Texas played the entire game. Baylor scored two in the bottom of the seventh for the win on errors.

sybarite 03-29-2016 08:00 AM

6:30 Wednesday Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State in OKC It is being televised on FOX. Two different channels on Uverse in Dallas are carrying it: 751 and 648.

OUFinalFour 03-29-2016 06:25 PM

Hopefully, the weather won't interfere with the game tomorrow night.

scrybe 03-29-2016 07:47 PM

Let's kick some aggie hiney. :ez-laugh:

sybarite 03-29-2016 07:58 PM

Baylor is playing a double-header against Louisiana-Lafayette in Waco. Baylor won the first, 2-0. The second is 4-3 Louisiana--Lafayette in the seventh due to a grand slam home run by Vincent. Louisiana-Lafayette is rated #4, #5, or with an rpi of #4. Baylor is #14 rpi. That's a final, 4-3, split.

SoonerNorm 03-30-2016 08:50 AM

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=210844141

OUFinalFour 03-30-2016 07:29 PM

OU takes Game 1 of Bedlam 10-2.

sybarite 03-30-2016 07:34 PM

That was a pretty good fifth inning. OU led 3-2 after four and a half. A two run shot by Knighten made it 5-2. A three-run shot to the opposite field by Self made it 8--2. A long, long drive to right made by Erin made it 10-2, seven runs in the fifth. Paige got the win, but was not as sharp as she has been.

shoogerkubz 03-30-2016 09:12 PM

What's up with Whitney Montgomery? Anyone know?

tycat947 03-30-2016 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sybarite (Post 546392)
That was a pretty good fifth inning. OU led 3-2 after four and a half. A two run shot by Knighten made it 5-2. A three-run shot to the opposite field by Self made it 8--2. A long, long drive to right made by Erin made it 10-2, seven runs in the fifth. Paige got the win, but was not as sharp as she has been.

Paige got quite sharper after Melissa made a visit to the mound! Finished pretty strong after lackluster beginning.

j2d2 03-31-2016 08:51 AM

It seemed to me that when Paige put runners on base, she bore down and did alright, but still didnt strike batters out. Just got them to ground out without runs scoring. Last year she would have struck out those batters. It's still a matter of control-too many balls in the dirt, too many way overhead and too many walks.

OURed 03-31-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoogerkubz (Post 546421)
What's up with Whitney Montgomery? Anyone know?

I think she has quit the team. She hasn't been in the dugout the last few games. Don't know why.

scrybe 03-31-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OURed (Post 546568)
I think she has quit the team. She hasn't been in the dugout the last few games. Don't know why.

That would be a huge loss. Whitney is a great catcher with a penchant for mowing down base stealers and picking runners off base.

Any of you insiders have more information?

anthrosooner 03-31-2016 12:41 PM

She has quit the team. It's a personal matter within the team and they aren't saying. You may have noticed that before she quit that she wasn't in the batting lineup and that she would get replaced on defense after three or four innings. She got married last summer and I'm led to believe that it may have led to complications with her playing softball.

tycat947 03-31-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthrosooner (Post 546601)
She has quit the team. It's a personal matter within the team and they aren't saying. You may have noticed that before she quit that she wasn't in the batting lineup and that she would get replaced on defense after three or four innings. She got married last summer and I'm led to believe that it may have led to complications with her playing softball.

That's sad.

I think she wasn't in batting lineup because her hitting has deteriorated the last couple of years. I know it's not against rules and some are successful but why wouldn't you wait a year and marry after your collegiate softball career was over. I hope she finishes her degree.

tycat947 03-31-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrybe (Post 546571)
That would be a huge loss. Whitney is a great catcher with a penchant for mowing down base stealers and picking runners off base.

Any of you insiders have more information?

Yes! I don't think there was a better arm in the country. I'm pretty sure OU was #1 in fewest number of steals allowed and it pretty much was solely because of Whitney's arm.

sybarite 03-31-2016 01:51 PM

Whitney is still on the roster. Usually, quitting the team results in immediate removal. I suspect that if Whitney is no longer with the team that she is still officially with the team. Since we have no back-up to Wodach, Whitney may be on leave unless needed.

scrybe 03-31-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sybarite (Post 546679)
Whitney is still on the roster. Usually, quitting the team results in immediate removal. I suspect that if Whitney is no longer with the team that she is still officially with the team. Since we have no back-up to Wodach, Whitney may be on leave unless needed.

Hope you're right, syb.

anthrosooner 03-31-2016 03:00 PM

A good source has told me that Macy Hatfield is being used as the backup catcher.

sybarite 03-31-2016 04:49 PM

I have asked James Hale to go to Gasso and find out what the situation with Whitney is. I think the evidence suggests something like this:

1. I think the use of Hatfield at C began with some experimentation last year.

2. I don't think that we would want to go to the World Series or the Super-Regionals with Hatfield at C.

3. Usually, people who leave the team are removed from the roster.

4. Whitney may, indeed, be experiencing some life changes due to her marriage.

5. If Whitney is kept on scholarship, she would be eligible to return to play in an emergency. The scholarship may help Whitney complete her education.

anthrosooner 03-31-2016 05:58 PM

Hatfield would be used at catcher only in an emergency situation. I wouldn't doubt if Patti looked at some JUCO catchers seeing as how she didn't sign any in the latest recruiting class.

Speedy17 03-31-2016 08:37 PM

I heard the other day that Paris Townsend was the emergency backup catcher. I think Macey could do it also. I will never forget the year that Jessica Shults got sick in 2011 that OU put Katie Norris at catcher and made it through the regionals to the WCWS. She had to catch Keilani and her cropduster.

sybarite 03-31-2016 09:11 PM

Whitney is still on the team, as the roster indicates.

anthrosooner 03-31-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy17 (Post 546904)
I heard the other day that Paris Townsend was the emergency backup catcher. I think Macey could do it also. I will never forget the year that Jessica Shults got sick in 2011 that OU put Katie Norris at catcher and made it through the regionals to the WCWS. She had to catch Keilani and her cropduster.

You might recall that the last game OU played was against Missouri and Dani Dobbs was the catcher.