OUHoops

OUHoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board (http://ouhoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Steve Henson (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42595)

rickjames 02-02-2019 01:07 PM

Steve Henson
 
Let’s bring him back to Norman as our HBC. He made LK look much better than what he is. Our guards were so much better when he was here as well. Time to retire, Lon. Go enjoy your millions!

MercedeSooner 02-02-2019 01:09 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
it's gonna happen eventually. he's a good coach and great teacher.

WTSooner 02-02-2019 01:13 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
We have no idea if he made Lon look good or not. Lon had some college basketball success before Henson was on his staff. If Henson is that good, he'll do well at the job he has now and make it a no-brainer.

TINY 02-02-2019 01:25 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Yeah he’s really setting the world on fire at utsa with that 12-10 record. Henson was an unbelievable assistant but he has not shown he is the answer as our next HC.

mict085 02-02-2019 01:37 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Iíd rather have Fred hoiberg or Eric Musselman.

TINY 02-02-2019 02:19 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mict085 (Post 619673)
Iíd rather have Fred hoiberg or Eric Musselman.

If we could get hoiberg I would be all in on letting Lon go.

WichitaSooner 02-02-2019 02:36 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Our assistants were terrible today. Crutch went 1-10 and missed a wide open layup, and Kevin and Hartman went 3-10 from the line in the first half and got dominated on the glass. Clearly their fault. Henson would have banged in a couple big threes.

At some point, coaches can only do so much. When your so called best player goes in the tank for over a month and other seniors can't play well on any consistent basis, I'm not sure where coaches can turn.

Big Old Booger 02-02-2019 02:38 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WichitaSooner (Post 619692)
Our assistants were terrible today. Crutch went 1-10 and missed a wide open layup, and Kevin and Hartman went 3-10 from the line in the first half and got dominated on the glass. Clearly their fault. Henson would have banged in a couple big threes.

At some point, coaches can only do so much. When your so called best player goes in the tank for over a month and other seniors can't play well on any consistent basis, I'm not sure where coaches can turn.

The bottom line is this team is devoid of talent. Very few of these guys would start at the top 5 Big 12 teams this season. Doolittle, maybe, is the only one I think and at times he loses his mind. Bieniemy would in time be that good. Those are our 2 best talents though. Everyone else is flawed.

The international guys may be the 3 worst playes on the team (scholarship) and that's saying something. Whoever scouted those guys needs to be fired.

stormspencer 02-02-2019 02:53 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WichitaSooner (Post 619692)
Our assistants were terrible today. Crutch went 1-10 and missed a wide open layup, and Kevin and Hartman went 3-10 from the line in the first half and got dominated on the glass. Clearly their fault. Henson would have banged in a couple big threes.

At some point, coaches can only do so much. When your so called best player goes in the tank for over a month and other seniors can't play well on any consistent basis, I'm not sure where coaches can turn.

I agree.....at some point these players (whether they are talented or not is another conversation) have to make shots, get rebounds, make good decisions and play hard. These players don't do any of those things particularly well. There really isn't much that coaching can do to fix those things except stress fundamentals, positioning, and repetition. And they can bench a player if he isn't playing hard. Outside of that, I think the solution is that we need to get much better players on our roster.

But Lon and his staff certainly deserve their share of the blame for recruiting this mess of a team.

OULad 02-02-2019 03:11 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
I dont blame our coaches for the bad play. I blame them for recruiting like garbage. We have 4 big 12 players, and only a couple of them are good enough to start in the big 12. Id fire Lon after this year if we didnt risk losing the supposed good class coming in next year.

If we are not significantly better next year, Lon needs to be gone.

cvangild 02-02-2019 04:26 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
The COACHES aren't the ones missing wide open effin shots!!!! How hard is it for some of you to understand that??!!

mict085 02-02-2019 04:48 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvangild (Post 619724)
The COACHES aren't the ones missing wide open effin shots!!!! How hard is it for some of you to understand that??!!

Well, the coaches are responsible for the product on the court. They scout and recruit the players. They teach and develop the players. They create the game plan and make adjustments and COACH.

This isnít 1 game. Itís a 3 year trend and the coaches ABSOLUTELY are responsible for it. How hard is it for some of you to understand that??!!

cjhsooner 02-02-2019 05:00 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvangild (Post 619724)
The COACHES aren't the ones missing wide open effin shots!!!! How hard is it for some of you to understand that??!!

They are responsible for recruiting the players "missing wide open effin shots". Try again.

WichitaSooner 02-02-2019 05:25 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mict085 (Post 619733)
Well, the coaches are responsible for the product on the court. They scout and recruit the players. They teach and develop the players. They create the game plan and make adjustments and COACH.

This isnít 1 game. Itís a 3 year trend and the coaches ABSOLUTELY are responsible for it. How hard is it for some of you to understand that??!!

I don't necessarily disagree that they are ultimately responsible for the product on the court. What I find interesting is that no one points to coaching when we are winning. A lot of posters seem to think that when we lose it is because of coaching, but when we win, it is in spite of coaching.

WTSooner 02-02-2019 05:44 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Old Booger (Post 619693)
The bottom line is this team is devoid of talent. Very few of these guys would start at the top 5 Big 12 teams this season.

It is impossible for any of us as fans to know for sure, but I sure as heck think those guys look bad b/c of coaching. None of them were great coming out of HS maybe, but OU has won A LOT of games with similar talent over the years. But you know what? Our HC actually has to coach this kind of talent up. Can't just stick it out on the court and say tell them to go play. That is what Lon is doing.

WichitaSooner 02-02-2019 06:04 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTSooner (Post 619751)
It is impossible for any of us as fans to know for sure, but I sure as heck think those guys look bad b/c of coaching. None of them were great coming out of HS maybe, but OU has won A LOT of games with similar talent over the years. But you know what? Our HC actually has to coach this kind of talent up. Can't just stick it out on the court and say tell them to go play. That is what Lon is doing.

How do you know this? If you regularly attend practice or are in the huddle at games, I apologize for questioning you, but otherwise, how can any of us think we really know what efforts they make to develop players behind the scenes or coach them during games? Or do we just assume that in order to "coach 'em up," a coach has to yell and scream and run around the sideline calling attention to himself? I think it is fair to argue that the past two classes of seniors haven't improved as much as they should. But before that, every group under Lon had. Buddy and Isaiah most obviously, but they were not the only ones.

Stikboy 02-02-2019 06:38 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Think I’ll pass on Steve. Know he hasn’t been there that long but his team looked like a bunch of non athletic rec dudes. No thanks.

WTSooner 02-02-2019 07:40 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WichitaSooner (Post 619754)
How do you know this? If you regularly attend practice or are in the huddle at games, I apologize for questioning you, but otherwise, how can any of us think we really know what efforts they make to develop players behind the scenes or coach them during games? Or do we just assume that in order to "coach 'em up," a coach has to yell and scream and run around the sideline calling attention to himself? I think it is fair to argue that the past two classes of seniors haven't improved as much as they should. But before that, every group under Lon had. Buddy and Isaiah most obviously, but they were not the only ones.

Not sure why you feel like you have to defend the program and Lon like you do, but suffice it to say, I disagree. I know what I see. I've been watching basketball, and more specifically, OU basketball, for a long time. I think if you look back at Lon's career, it kind of speaks to what I'm saying. A lot of ups and downs. Rarely any consistency. And he's never been known as a great or even good X's and O's guys. He puts his player-driven system in, then turns them loose. That is what he does. Any tweaks or changes he makes are almost always minimal. That might fly when you have a senior like Hield on the team, or if you have Duke-like talent, but it doesn't work with the talent OU is going to have on the roster most years. OU needs a guy like a Sampson, or a Dixon, or the TT coach. Guys that clearly and obviously influence the style and demeanor of the team. Not just at times, but ALL the time.

WTSooner 02-02-2019 07:41 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WichitaSooner (Post 619754)
How do you know this? If you regularly attend practice or are in the huddle at games, I apologize for questioning you, but otherwise, how can any of us think we really know what efforts they make to develop players behind the scenes or coach them during games? Or do we just assume that in order to "coach 'em up," a coach has to yell and scream and run around the sideline calling attention to himself? I think it is fair to argue that the past two classes of seniors haven't improved as much as they should. But before that, every group under Lon had. Buddy and Isaiah most obviously, but they were not the only ones.

Oh, and follow up question. If I don't have the info to know I'm right, how do YOU know I'm wrong?

coolm 02-02-2019 07:49 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTSooner (Post 619764)
OU needs a guy like a Sampson, or a Dixon, or the TT coach. Guys that clearly and obviously influence the style and demeanor of the team. Not just at times, but ALL the time.

yep. Jamie Dixon, imo, does an excellent job at TCU and Beard is an ace at running things tight. couldnt agree more.

WichitaSooner 02-02-2019 08:04 PM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTSooner (Post 619765)
Oh, and follow up question. If I don't have the info to know I'm right, how do YOU know I'm wrong?

I specifically said in my post that I wonder how any of us can claim to know, and I include myself in that. And I also have said multiple times that he does deserve some of the blame for things. I just think it is silly for people to keep acting like they definitively know what goes on behind the scenes. The talk about the assistants seems especially crazy to me. Pure speculation. Maybe it is accurate, but it is nothing more than a guess.

I do disagree with your Xs and Os comment. I can't tell you how many times I've heard opposing coaches single out that specific trait when talking about Lon. Self and Huggins in particular talk about how he does a great job finding mismatches. I don't claim to be a guy who can watch a game and immediately diagnose plays and Xs and Os, but I'll take those two guys at their word.

And in what way could you look at Dixon and think he has a better track record than Kruger? Dixon isn't exactly a young pup, he's been a head coach for a long time. How many deep runs has he made? He is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but in no way would he be an upgrade.

JBaker 02-03-2019 01:36 AM

Re: Steve Henson
 
I don’t understand those of you just willing to let the coaches off the hook so easily. A LOT of coaching staffs could take this exact same roster and get better production out of it.

This coaching staff just allowed our team to look totally unprepared in attacking a zone against a team that has run zone defense for years, with seemingly no adjustments ever made, to the tune of a 30-point home loss to a team that couldn’t score on Stephen F. Austin.

TINY 02-03-2019 09:01 AM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaker (Post 619793)
I don’t understand those of you just willing to let the coaches off the hook so easily. A LOT of coaching staffs could take this exact same roster and get better production out of it.

This coaching staff just allowed our team to look totally unprepared in attacking a zone against a team that has run zone defense for years, with seemingly no adjustments ever made, to the tune of a 30-point home loss to a team that couldn’t score on Stephen F. Austin.

This is pure BS. This roster is pure trash by our standards. There is only 1 4-star player per rivals and 0 top 100 players per 24/7. They have a bottom 3 roster in conference (osu and wvu are the only worse ones). I don’t think much of a couple of our assistants, but this team is basically maxing out their potential right now.

WTSooner 02-03-2019 10:08 AM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TINY (Post 619811)
This is pure BS. This roster is pure trash by our standards. There is only 1 4-star player per rivals and 0 top 100 players per 24/7. They have a bottom 3 roster in conference (osu and wvu are the only worse ones). I donít think much of a couple of our assistants, but this team is basically maxing out their potential right now.

It's not hard to go to 247's site and look at recruiting info, to see that your statement is incorrect.

It's coaching.

TINY 02-03-2019 10:40 AM

Re: Steve Henson
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WTSooner (Post 619817)
It's not hard to go to 247's site and look at recruiting info, to see that your statement is incorrect.

It's coaching.

It evidently is hard for you since there is not a single top 100 player on this team per 24/7’s national rankings. The team has very mediocre talent by OU standards. We all knew it going into the season when our 2 elite talents left the program (and our best big man) and were replaced by 2 mediocre grad transfers. The recruiting has been abysmal for the past few years outside of landing Trae and Mcgusty. This incoming class should make us a legit top 25 team again.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com