OUHoops

OUHoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board (http://ouhoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Iowa State (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43431)

WichitaSooner 02-09-2020 11:57 AM

Iowa State

Looks extremely unlikely that Haliburton will play Wednesday after aggravating his wrist injury last night. Never want to see anyone hurt, but when your opponent is missing a key guy, you have to capitalize. And you absolutely canít let up mentally. I would hope that wonít be an issue after the thumping they gave us at their place.

sheepdogs1 02-09-2020 12:06 PM

Re: Iowa State

We deserve some breaks.

Oscar Uniform 02-09-2020 03:50 PM

Haliburton is their best player but it was Bolton who owned us all night long in Ames.

scrybe 02-09-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar Uniform (Post 644520)
Haliburton is their best player but it was Bolton who owned us all night long in Ames.

Bolton, Haliburton and about three other guys, if memory serves me. :D

Hollisp 02-09-2020 05:06 PM

No Halliburton here in Norman is a huge win for OU. We should roll in all honesty if he doesn’t play. Losing a 15/6 guy can’t be replaced.

mict085 02-09-2020 05:09 PM

Iowa st is NOT a very good team. We need to beat them like a rented mule. Hopefully, we come out and play with intensity and focus from the start.

AdaSooner 02-09-2020 05:48 PM

If any of our players read this thread, I hope they don’t buy into the idea that this will be an easy game if Halliburton is not able to play.

Teams have away of making up for the loss of a good player. We have seen it too many times over the years to think ISU will not show up ready to play. If Halliburton does play, his presence on the floor will be similar to BG’s miraculous recovery from knee surgery when he unexpectedly stepped onto the floor to lead OU to a win over Baylor in Waco his sophomore season. Or was that his freshman season?.

Hollisp 02-09-2020 05:53 PM

Yes I lost my mind when he came on

NAIA All-Star 02-10-2020 11:04 AM

"Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton will miss the remainder of the 19-20 season due to a wrist injury, per release."

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...14220429709318

skyvue 02-10-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdaSooner (Post 644537)
If any of our players read this thread, I hope they donít buy into the idea that this will be an easy game if Halliburton is not able to play.

Teams have away of making up for the loss of a good player. We have seen it too many times over the years to think ISU will not show up ready to play.

Amen to this--and not just in basketball. Anyone old enough to recall OU's loss to Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl knows not to get overly excited at news of an opposing player being out of action.

BoulderSooner 02-10-2020 11:10 AM

Not a “must win”. But would be nice to get a little breathing room

stormspencer 02-10-2020 11:10 AM

The most important key for OU in this game will be guarding the 3. If ISU's threes are contested and they shoot a low %, then I really don't believe they can stay in the game. Rebounding their long misses becomes important as well.

sheepdogs1 02-10-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyvue (Post 644581)
Amen to this--and not just in basketball. Anyone old enough to recall OU's loss to Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl knows not to get overly excited at news of an opposing player being out of action.

We should have run rough shod over them, for a national title I think, and we got our ass kicked. We must have thought the game was in the bag.

Sooner Season 02-10-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner (Post 644583)
Not a ďmust winĒ. But would be nice to get a little breathing room

Hey Boulder, you really think this isn't "must win"? It looks to me like we need to beat ISU and Texas at home and TCU and OSU on the road to finish .500 in the conference and make us comfortable on selection Sunday. I guess Tech here is a possibility but I don't count on beating any of the top 4 from here on out. Do you?

WichitaSooner 02-10-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star (Post 644578)
"Iowa State's Tyrese Haliburton will miss the remainder of the 19-20 season due to a wrist injury, per release."

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...14220429709318

That sucks. Great player, likely top 5 pick. Hope this is just a temporary setback for him.

CoachTalk 02-10-2020 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner Season (Post 644591)
Hey Boulder, you really think this isn't "must win"? It looks to me like we need to beat ISU and Texas at home and TCU and OSU on the road to finish .500 in the conference and make us comfortable on selection Sunday. I guess Tech here is a possibility but I don't count on beating any of the top 4 from here on out. Do you?

Couldve beat Baylor and Tech on the road. Baylor more so than Tech.

So I think winning those at home is a real possibility.

.500 in the conference is in no matter what.

Soonerinkc 02-10-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

exactly....to me this is a must win...rough 5 game stretch here and isu at home needed to be a win in my book.

BoulderSooner 02-11-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

it is an important win for sure as this and those are the best chances to win 4 more games

but OU has a good shot vs tech and baylor at home

and 8-10 in conf and 1 win in KC likely gets ou in the Dance anyway

Sooner Season 02-11-2020 08:09 AM

I like you guys optimism about Tech and especially Baylor. I hope you are right but I think the Baylor debacle last year in LNC is still fresh in my mind. Yukkkkkk!!!!!!!

MJSooner 02-11-2020 12:18 PM

It may not be a "must-win" but maybe as close to it as you can get. Maybe not from a ranking but at least from perception. Losing at home to an underdog, sub-.500 team without their best player doesn't look good.

Fortunately, right now we have no Q3 losses and only one Q2 loss, which puts us at 12-1 vs. Q2, Q3, & Q4. We need to avoid those Q2 losses if it comes to ranking against other bubble teams. It would also be nice to get another couple of Q1 wins, which we will have 4 maybe 5 chances to do.

AdaSooner 02-11-2020 01:13 PM

This game may not be a must win, but it would definitely be a bad loss. I don’t see how losing to a 10-13 (3-7 in conference) bottom dwelling team with their best player out for the season could be anything but, BAD!

We have to take advantage of games we should win to offset a game like KU in Lawrence where we have never had much success in coming out on top.

BCSooners 02-11-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdaSooner (Post 644716)
This game may not be a must win, but it would definitely be a bad loss. I donít see how losing to a 10-13 (3-7 in conference) bottom dwelling team with their best player out for the season could be anything but, BAD!

We have to take advantage of games we should win to offset a game like KU in Lawrence where we have never had much success in coming out on top.

Especially with him just now being out. They haven't had much time to adjust to new roles.

AdaSooner 02-11-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCSooners (Post 644717)
Especially with him just now being out. They haven't had much time to adjust to new roles.

Exactly! I forgot to add, on our own floor.

Everything about this game says it’s a must win to me. Of all of the regular season games left on our schedule, it’s our best chance to add one more to the win column. We don’t have the luxury of adding a game like this to the loss column.

BCSooners 02-11-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdaSooner (Post 644719)
Exactly! I forgot to add, on our own floor.

Everything about this game is a must win to me. Of all of the regular season games left on our schedule, itís our best chance to add one more to the win column.

I don't think it's a must win to get into the tournament, but it's a must win as far as probably the easiest game left.

Still got to show up and play well though after the a** kicking they gave OU earlier.

Max Power 02-11-2020 01:33 PM

ISU is 68 in the current net which makes this a quad 2 game. However, they just lost their best player for the year. It is probable that they fall below 75 when its all said and done. As such this is pretty much a must win.