OUHoops

OUHoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board (http://ouhoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NBA- OU players and general (this thread only) (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42222)

WichitaSooner 12-13-2018 09:40 AM

Re: NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oudna (Post 613844)
It actually happens pretty frequently but Trae has a long way to go.

Glad to see he’s been shooting it a little less lately.

Exactly. It's actually very rare for guys not to improve their shot significantly once they are in the NBA. And I'd point out that he is now the age Buddy was as a college sophomore -- Buddy wasn't a good shooter till his junior year, and not a great shooter till he was a senior. So yeah, I don't think there is any reason to believe that Trae's first 25 or 30 games as a 20-year-old rookie are a sign that he is destined to be a low percentage shooter for his career.

152219 12-13-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyvue (Post 613831)
Big night for Trae in a close loss to the Mavericks. 24 points, 10 assists, 2 steals and just 2 turnovers.

A good night for Buddy in a win over Minnesota. 20 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block.

A very good night for Blake in a one-point loss to the Hornets. 26 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 block.

It should be pointed out that Blake missed two huge FTs at the end of the game.

skyvue 12-13-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 152219 (Post 613848)
It should be pointed out that Blake missed two huge FTs at the end of the game.

Yikes.

I don't have the NBA TV package, so I have only stats to go by.

152219 12-13-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyvue (Post 613850)
Yikes.

I don't have the NBA TV package, so I have only stats to go by.

It happens. Overall a solid game, but I assume he is extremely mad about those two. Plus, the Pistons blew a 10 point lead with a little over 6 minutes to go.

Also, I agree with Byron...Trae Young played a very composed game last night. Outside of the last two 3 point attempts that were essentially taken in desperation, Young shot the ball well and played under control with the ball in his hands. He was also trying on defense, which is obviously a plus.

skyvue 12-14-2018 09:14 AM

There's a free preview of the NBA League Pass that is good through 12/20.

http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/?cid=E...atchNow_121418

Eielson 12-14-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 (Post 613842)
He is how old? How long has he played basketball?
Is it possible he turns into a great shooter? Sure. But it doesn't happen very often when you have a guy drastically improve from a bad shooter to a great shooter.

This used to be where I introduced Jason Kidd. But there are so many other examples in the NBA now that I don't even feel the need to start. Do you think he has the shooting potential of Blake Griffin?

oudna 12-14-2018 10:29 PM

Kings had the Warriors beat. Up 10 with 3 minutes to go and Fox had a total meltdown and single-handedly puked it up.

Buddy scored 27 on 11/21

ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms 12-15-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eielson (Post 613911)
This used to be where I introduced Jason Kidd. But there are so many other examples in the NBA now that I don't even feel the need to start. Do you think he has the shooting potential of Blake Griffin?

Kids couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn when he was drafted. When the Mavs won the Championship he was deadly from 3. He is a prime example of a player that developed into a shooter

However for every Jason Kidd, there are probably 10 that never improved a lick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolm 12-15-2018 07:15 AM

Quote:

yeah Kidd didnt shoot worth a flip in HS at Alameda or in college at Cal. even when drafted by the mavs he couldnt shoot. but he got better.

NickZepp 12-15-2018 04:02 PM

The stats definitely showed Kidd becoming a good shooter. For about the first half of Kidd's career(1997-2004) he was a 30% 3 point shooter or around there. He had one or two years that were outliers but mostly around 30-32% a few years under 30%. The last half of his career(2004-2013) he was around 35+% for the most part.

NickZepp 12-15-2018 09:39 PM

27 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists for Blake as the Pistons beat the Celtics 113-104. For some reason Blake has a -3 which continues to show that stat is bunk.

WaymanFan 12-16-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickZepp (Post 614079)
27 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists for Blake as the Pistons beat the Celtics 113-104. For some reason Blake has a -3 which continues to show that stat is bunk.

I agree. Basketball is way too much of a team game for that stat to have any real significant use. All things being equal, I'd much rather see one of our guys score 25 points with a -10 than 8 points with a +10.

NickZepp 12-16-2018 06:52 PM

26 points for Buddy in 3 quarters. Kings lead the Mavs by 10.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Eielson 12-16-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaymanFan (Post 614123)
I agree. Basketball is way too much of a team game for that stat to have any real significant use. All things being equal, I'd much rather see one of our guys score 25 points with a -10 than 8 points with a +10.

It's simply a statistic. Like nearly every statistic, it means something, but it has limitations. It has to be viewed in the right context.

skyvue 12-16-2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eielson (Post 614172)
It's simply a statistic. Like nearly every statistic, it means something, but it has limitations. It has to be viewed in the right context.

What is that context? Because it's a stat that very rarely makes any sense to me.

AdaSooner 12-16-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickZepp (Post 614169)
26 points for Buddy in 3 quarters. Kings lead the Mavs by 10.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Buddy finished with 28 points, 4 Rebs and 2 assists in a 120-113 win over the Mavs.

skyvue 12-16-2018 08:11 PM

Trae had 13 points, 10 assists and 2 rebounds today in a loss to the Nets.

sheepdogs1 12-16-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdaSooner (Post 614178)
Buddy finished with 28 points, 4 Rebs and 2 assists in a 120-113 win over the Mavs.

Tied for his season high.

oudna 12-17-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyvue (Post 614176)
What is that context? Because it's a stat that very rarely makes any sense to me.

Makes perfect sense to me. Best teams have the best numbers.

In a large sample, if you’re play winning basketball you generally have a + score.

On a game basis it doesn’t provide much other than a description of who was on the court for the runs.

BoulderSooner 12-17-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyvue (Post 614176)

generaly over a longer period of time than just one game ..

it can work for 1 game but then specific context matters more ie did somone on the other team just have a crazy good game and was that guy a starter?

skyvue 12-17-2018 08:55 AM

All I know is, game after game, I see players (usually I'm checking our three former Sooners) saddled with =/- numbers that don't remotely reflect what they achieved in that game. I appreciate being clued in that this stat is best viewed over the long term, but if so, then they might as well leave it out of the individual game stats, because it often as not is absurdly inaccurate in reflecting what a player accomplished in that particular game.

So if Blake has a monster outing, scoring 40 points and pulling down 20 rebounds and further, he's on the court for nearly the entire game, sitting for just a couple of minutes, he's likely to get a minus rating if his teammates all play like crap throughout and the Pistons lose by 30? All because the team's results were lousy while Blake was on the court (which, in my hypothetical example, was virtually the whole game) Do I have that right?

SoonerBounce13 12-17-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

yes, trae is the next jason kidd

SoonerBounce13 12-17-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickZepp (Post 613955)
The stats definitely showed Kidd becoming a good shooter. For about the first half of Kidd's career(1997-2004) he was a 30% 3 point shooter or around there. He had one or two years that were outliers but mostly around 30-32% a few years under 30%. The last half of his career(2004-2013) he was around 35+% for the most part.

yeah not great by any means...which is what I believe I said.

ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms 12-17-2018 09:23 AM

NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 (Post 614209)
yes, trae is the next jason kidd

A lot a similarities. Kids played out of control early in his career. Once he learned to play within a team system he improved greatly. Trae can also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepdogs1 12-17-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyvue (Post 614208)
All I know is, game after game, I see players (usually I'm checking our three former Sooners) saddled with =/- numbers that don't remotely reflect what they achieved in that game. I appreciate being clued in that this stat is best viewed over the long term, but if so, then they might as well leave it out of the individual game stats, because it often as not is absurdly inaccurate in reflecting what a player accomplished in that particular game.

So if Blake has a monster outing, scoring 40 points and pulling down 20 rebounds and further, he's on the court for nearly the entire game, sitting for just a couple of minutes, he's likely to get a minus rating if his teammates all play like crap throughout and the Pistons lose by 30? All because the team's results were lousy while Blake was on the court (which, in my hypothetical example, was virtually the whole game) Do I have that right?

It's generally for people who have a way of elevating the analyzing of minutia to a new level. And I say good for them.