OUHoops

OUHoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women's Hoops Talk (http://ouhoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Odessa juco commit (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42935)

CoachTalk 05-12-2019 09:17 PM

Odessa juco commit
 
Commitment

http://www.wranglersports.com/sports...on_kamryn_f1wr

Oliver Hardy 05-12-2019 10:01 PM

A guard?

?????? WTH?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atlantasooner 05-12-2019 10:05 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
While a post player would have been preferably.

A starving man turns down no meals.

8-22 teams don't turn down any help.

SoonerSpock 05-12-2019 10:05 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
If she is a true point guard she could be a valuable addition. Presently the PG is far from a strength of the program. But obviously PG is not the key need for this team.

CoachTalk 05-12-2019 10:15 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Tough pg from what I can gather. It’s a start. Bring in girls that will push and compete

Oliver Hardy 05-12-2019 10:53 PM

Probably means we didn’t land the other girl from Texas we were all raving about because we were still on her finalist list.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soonerguy06 05-13-2019 06:46 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
I don't understand this either. Why another guard first of all unless this is going to be an impactful player that will immediately start??? I thought she was going for grad transfers so we would not eat up next year scholarships. Maybe this girl is good and will make an immediate impact. We definitely need some height though!

SKSooner 05-13-2019 06:52 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
A post player isn't going to help you reduce your number of turnovers. A tough minded point guard who can handle pressure will, though.

While I think we need a post player, I think we need a real point guard just as much. I like this commitment a lot, and I think she will help us tremendously.

Soonerguy06 05-13-2019 06:59 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
I really really hope you're right! I definitely think PG was one of our weak spots this past season!

SoonerSpock 05-13-2019 08:12 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SKSooner (Post 631184)
A post player isn't going to help you reduce your number of turnovers. A tough minded point guard who can handle pressure will, though.

While I think we need a post player, I think we need a real point guard just as much. I like this commitment a lot, and I think she will help us tremendously.

OU needs to reduce turnovers, rebound better and play better defense to get to their next level. Statistically at the JC level she is a better rebounder and has a better assist to turnover ratio than any guard on the team. If she can continue to do those two things and play defense she will make this team better. She appears to me to be a good signee. Not the ideal signee but a positive addition. Now if she can average 6+ p/g she will help even more.

Mac 05-13-2019 09:55 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
http://www.wranglersports.com/sports...on_kamryn_f1wr

She’s not a bad player, I think Carter would have been a good bridge gap between this year and a point guard in the 2020 class... but I see Lemon has a good chance to start. Ou hasn’t been able to bring in any help from the Juco ranks, looking at the players who were brought in before, that’s the only thing that worries me...

Mac 05-13-2019 09:59 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
https://youtu.be/jGg7dZG2_bI

Here is a full Odessa game, she’s number 4 in white...

Mac 05-13-2019 10:16 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Right now Ou needs to keep up with Baylor and Texas, since they are setting the stander for the big 12 recruiting, Iowa st will always challenge due to coaching, but even looking at there 2020 class they are bring in 2 point guards, if Baylor adds Andrews and Texas adds Clark most of us will be complaining about the lack of a great point guard... you have to recruit to the strength of your conference, OU couldn’t sign a big to be competitive with Baylor from Griner to Brown/Cox, and that ship has passed.... now will be the time of guards, look at the top few players in this class and next, both number ones are guards, and in the 2021 class the number 3 player in the class is a 6’3 guard. Basically Ou needs guards going forward, not to mention our best player Ana will be a senior before we know it...

SoonerinNC 05-13-2019 11:47 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Hope I am wrong but I don't see the skills that would turn a program around. Good to great court vision. Hit a nice trey and obviously can score at that level but her shooting percentages are not even up to Mercer's at the Div I level.

Looks quick, but not exceptional and few turnovers but the opposition was not one to cause turnovers. Obviously hard to evaluate against such woeful competition, but my question to Sherri is "is that all you got?"

Soonerbay 05-13-2019 12:13 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerinNC (Post 631223)
Hope I am wrong but I don't see the skills that would turn a program around. Good to great court vision. Hit a nice trey and obviously can score at that level but her shooting percentages are not even up to Mercer's at the Div I level.

Looks quick, but not exceptional and few turnovers but the opposition was not one to cause turnovers. Obviously hard to evaluate against such woeful competition, but my question to Sherri is "is that all you got?"

Yep, what you said.

cjhsooner 05-13-2019 12:33 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerinNC (Post 631223)
Hope I am wrong but I don't see the skills that would turn a program around. Good to great court vision. Hit a nice trey and obviously can score at that level but her shooting percentages are not even up to Mercer's at the Div I level.

Looks quick, but not exceptional and few turnovers but the opposition was not one to cause turnovers. Obviously hard to evaluate against such woeful competition, but my question to Sherri is "is that all you got?"

Well, to put the burden of an entire program on one player isn't fair, and will not turn out well for any player...

atlantasooner 05-13-2019 01:29 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Well at least Sherri appears to have added one player.
That's progress. I guess.
Not massive progress. Maybe we will see something in the transfer or international
player pool which does not necessarily tie into the HS LOI window.
Course a player who misses this window, can now just show up. A free agent not
bound by the terms of a LOI.

Oliver Hardy 05-13-2019 02:16 PM

Yeah free agents that are worth a hoot are just sitting around with coaches just beginning them to sign.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver Hardy 05-13-2019 02:18 PM

Guess this means Bloom is definitely starting at the five. Wonder if she's going to be happy about that or will she get pissed and leave after next season.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is beginning to look a whole lot like a cluster f***.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac 05-13-2019 02:27 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Dee
Madi
Ana
Taylor
Kam

That is who I would role with, Dee, Scott, and Bloom could all rotation at the 5.

sybarite 05-13-2019 03:21 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
SoonerinNC and Atlanta, I'm a bit disappointed in your responses. I expect more vision, and hope.

The one thing that we lacked other than a solid post was a consistent point. Tatum and Jessi showed some flashes, but neither were ready to run the show. Shaina wouldn't, too self-interested. We may still see Jessi and Tatum mature into it. They have some tools. But, they are sophs.

Lemon will be a junior as I understand. She is brought in for immediate duty. I can't tell much from the video. She is obviously a lot better than some rather mediocre players. Does she have D-1 potential. Sherri is a far better judge than I, and she is the one faced with this situation. I would say that he immediate needs were someone to play defense in the interior and grab a few boards, along with Madi, and someone to set up the offense and keep it set up. The only thing of value that I saw was that her first pass was always crisp. We often lost our first pass because it was tossed softly. I didn't see her setting up shooters. But, I'm only through the first quarter.

Oh. and she shoots free throws better than Shaina did---after two years. Two years as a shooter/scorer, and you can't hit free throws? Attitude.

This may or may not be what we need. It is a two-year fix. It has nothing to do with who we are recruiting. She saw a need, probably for more than one thing, and she went for it.

We may have what we need in Aspen, Dee, and Chloe. I think we need a solid back to the basket post. We'll see. We are better off with Dee and Chloe than we were last year, and one may be a break out player. I think Aspen can be a force. She isn't a total non-athlete. Let's see what plays out between now and November before we give up.

SoonerSpock 05-14-2019 03:59 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sybarite (Post 631254)
SoonerinNC and Atlanta, I'm a bit disappointed in your responses. I expect more vision, and hope.

The one thing that we lacked other than a solid post was a consistent point. Tatum and Jessi showed some flashes, but neither were ready to run the show. Shaina wouldn't, too self-interested. We may still see Jessi and Tatum mature into it. They have some tools. But, they are sophs.

This may or may not be what we need. It is a two-year fix. It has nothing to do with who we are recruiting. She saw a need, probably for more than one thing, and she went for it.

We may have what we need in Aspen, Dee, and Chloe. I think we need a solid back to the basket post. We'll see. We are better off with Dee and Chloe than we were last year, and one may be a break out player. I think Aspen can be a force. She isn't a total non-athlete. Let's see what plays out between now and November before we give up.

I agree too much is being made about signing the wrong player based on needs. No question a big is our primary need but Sherri still has three scholarships that can be used despite preferring to use them next year should she find that post player.

Any addition could be a help especially at the 5, 4 and 1 in that order. I'll take Lemon and hope she can be what Shaina could not be and Tatum/Mercer have yet to show they can be. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

SoonerinNC 05-14-2019 10:32 AM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Sorry if my post was offensive to others. I probably did sound like I felt that Sherri had blown her last chance to reinforce the inside game. She does have a history of not using all of her scholarships.

I do feel the right to express my assessment of a new recruit, with the admitted amateurs perspective. I see someone who has good court vision and makes accurate passes. Hit a nice trey and averaged around 15 points a game but against competition a far cry from Div I opponents.

I do believe she can compete at the Div I level but saw no effort to penetrate or dish off. Didn't see her show the speed to separate on the breaks like Pellington. Her shooting percentages are less than Murcer. Turnovers clearly less than Murcer, but all OU players had excessive turnovers. It has to be the system rather than the people when everyone has high turnovers. How can we expect any new player to be any different?

Sorry, I just don't see her an upgrade over Murcer and maybe not even Viethiemer. Murcer had 27 assists the last four games of the season but unfortunately 18 turnovers.

keysersose 05-14-2019 12:03 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerinNC (Post 631305)
Sorry if my post was offensive to others. I probably did sound like I felt that Sherri had blown her last chance to reinforce the inside game. She does have a history of not using all of her scholarships.

I do feel the right to express my assessment of a new recruit, with the admitted amateurs perspective. I see someone who has good court vision and makes accurate passes. Hit a nice trey and averaged around 15 points a game but against competition a far cry from Div I opponents.

I do believe she can compete at the Div I level but saw no effort to penetrate or dish off. Didn't see her show the speed to separate on the breaks like Pellington. Her shooting percentages are less than Murcer. Turnovers clearly less than Murcer, but all OU players had excessive turnovers. It has to be the system rather than the people when everyone has high turnovers. How can we expect any new player to be any different?

Sorry, I just don't see her an upgrade over Murcer and maybe not even Viethiemer. Murcer had 27 assists the last four games of the season but unfortunately 18 turnovers.

It looked to me as if they run an offense very similar to OU's, and she was running it. So, let's see what we get.

Soonerguy06 05-14-2019 01:42 PM

Re: Odessa juco commit
 
Well, I just looked up the NJCAA all-america teams and she's not on it, nor is she even an honorable mention (for all 3 levels). I don't have much hope in her being something special. I'm sure she'll be a back-up to Murcer. The few JC players SC has signed in the past have all been duds. None of them have been great contributors.

http://njcaa.org/sports/wbkb/2018-19...mericans/index

maybe she's in on some of these girls still? I know Mack (1st team) signed with Oklahoma State.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com