OUHoops

OUHoops (http://ouhoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board (http://ouhoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is OU one of "those" teams this year? (http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42754)

thebigabd 03-13-2019 07:42 AM

Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
And by one of "those" teams, I mean a team that doesn't have a great record but is one of those teams you don't want to play against if you are an opposing team or opposing fan...

Its a weird shoe for OU to be wearing, because its normally OU that is like, "don't be fooled, I don't want to play the Manhattan Jaspers" or whatever...

I wonder if we are that kind of team for others this year. I kinda think we are because the shooting can get hot and Manek and Doolittle are tough to deal with.

BoulderSooner 03-13-2019 07:48 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigabd (Post 625300)
And by one of "those" teams, I mean a team that doesn't have a great record but is one of those teams you don't want to play against if you are an opposing team or opposing fan...

Its a weird shoe for OU to be wearing, because its normally OU that is like, "don't be fooled, I don't want to play the Manhattan Jaspers" or whatever...

I wonder if we are that kind of team for others this year. I kinda think we are because the shooting can get hot and Manek and Doolittle are tough to deal with.

i think certionaly OU is a team with a 1 game high ceiling ...

so there is more "risk" for a high seed playing OU

because of the variance

CoachTalk 03-13-2019 07:48 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Depends on the seeding... I think we could win a couple games in the tourney. Its a guards tourney.

Eielson 03-13-2019 08:02 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Anybody can lose to anybody in March, but I don't think anybody is afraid of us this year. I think we were more of that kind of team last year, solely because we had Trae.

WTSooner 03-13-2019 08:56 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
What we do in the Dance will depend on the matchup, but I actually see it the other way.

I think our resume and results make us look like a slightly better team than we are. At least, than we currently are. That's pretty much been my view all season. I think any of the 1/2 type seeds would beat us pretty easily if we make it to round two. And making it to round two will depend largely on the matchup. ESPN currently has us playing UCF. That would be a decent matchup for us. Washington is another of the 8 seeds. Their offense is 110ish in efficiency. That would be a solid matchup. Same with VCU. Seems a lot of the teams in this range are really good on D, but terrible on offense. A couple of weeks ago I didn't like many of our projected matchups. Currently, they don't look too bad.

thewez 03-13-2019 09:07 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Yeah I think it's closer to the opposite too. We have a decent resume, but what good teams have we really beat? Maybe in that first round the team is scared of us, but I don't see top seeds being too worried about us.

Wofford may be the best win we have.

cvangild 03-13-2019 10:15 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Don't forget, OU was 13-1 in games against non Big 12 teams. They will be playing against opponents who aren't as familiar with them and the way Doolittle has been playing...if we can get decent outside shooting....we can give anyone a lot of problems.

Having said that, if the same team that lost to Baylor by 30+ in Norman shows up...we are done.

hoopsaustin 03-13-2019 10:48 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by thewez (Post 625329)
Yeah I think it's closer to the opposite too. We have a decent resume, but what good teams have we really beat? Maybe in that first round the team is scared of us, but I don't see top seeds being too worried about us.

Wofford may be the best win we have.

Im with you.. i dont expect much. There's too much softness engrained in the team already that creeps back up more often than not..

But if they shake it and play like that KU game.. this team could magically get to the sweet 16 imo

thebigabd 03-13-2019 11:01 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
I remember when OU was a 13 seed and made it to the Sweet 16. Of course, they had Kelvin Sampson and Eduardo Najera. Toughness was not an issue.

BCSooners 03-13-2019 11:43 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
I really don't see toughness as an issue this year. 3 main things I see is 1) No true post/ rim protector 2) PG that lives in the lane 3) consistent scoring from the perimeter.

sperry 03-13-2019 12:25 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
To me, there are three types of teams that can uderperform in the regular season that you don't want to face in march:

1) Teams with really good senior guards who are good 3 pt shooters. They can randomly get hot and shoot anyone out of the gym.

2) Teams that do something weird; i.e. zone defense, full court press, etc. Those teams can beat you if your kids get flustered and make stupid mistakes.

3) Teams with a guy or two with elite talent that could potentially single handedly win a game.


OU doesn't fit any of those bills. OU is a team that probably overachieved given its talent level. They They aren't a good shooting team, and dont' do anything that teams haven't seen before. There's no guy that could just go off for 40 and win the game.

That being said, whatever 7 or 8 seed we play we can likely beat. I just don't fancy our chances against the 1 or 2 we'd play if we won round 1.

BoulderSooner 03-13-2019 12:36 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 625368)
To me, there are three types of teams that can uderperform in the regular season that you don't want to face in march:

1) Teams with really good senior guards who are good 3 pt shooters. They can randomly get hot and shoot anyone out of the gym.

2) Teams that do something weird; i.e. zone defense, full court press, etc. Those teams can beat you if your kids get flustered and make stupid mistakes.

3) Teams with a guy or two with elite talent that could potentially single handedly win a game.


OU doesn't fit any of those bills. OU is a team that probably overachieved given its talent level. They They aren't a good shooting team, and dont' do anything that teams haven't seen before. There's no guy that could just go off for 40 and win the game.

That being said, whatever 7 or 8 seed we play we can likely beat. I just don't fancy our chances against the 1 or 2 we'd play if we won round 1.

james can get hot and manek is a very good shooter .. (almost 39% from 3 in conf on pretty high volume)

WTSooner 03-13-2019 01:38 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner (Post 625369)
james can get hot and manek is a very good shooter .. (almost 39% from 3 in conf on pretty high volume)

James has scored 20+ points three times in 2019, and those totals were 20, 20, and 21. And he hasn't done it since late January.

skyvue 03-13-2019 02:39 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
If we shoot like we did against KU, there are many good teams we can beat. That really was the key difference in that game, in my opinion: We shot well. And many of our losses this season can blamed on poor shooting. We played good defense (good enough, anyway), we competed with energy, we just didn't hit shots.

thebigabd 03-13-2019 02:53 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Other teams won't know the nuances or details of OU's struggles, or success. They will see we beat Wofford, Kansas, Florida, Texas, etc and have a pretty versatile duo of big guys...

I think other fans/teams won't want to draw us in the 8/9 or 7/10...

cowboysooner 03-13-2019 03:55 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Historically, Lon's teams have over performed in the NCAA. HIs patented defense of constant switching messes with you the first time or two you play it. Sort of like playing Baylor or Syracuse with their zone. First time around you can get confused.

We are also a senior dominated team, save and except our best 3 players. So, I think we will handle the pressure fine.

All of this being said, we are just a slightly above average team. And, the number one factor in the tourney is "matchup". It really comes down to who you draw and how they are playing.

So, all of this being said, I have no idea how we will fair.

ousooners1baby 03-13-2019 10:00 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
I kinda thought wed lose last year but thought it was 50/50. This year I expect a loss. 80/20. Dont matter who in our field of teams we might get. Guarantee they will run an offense and we most likely wont.

Eielson 03-13-2019 10:52 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
We almost beat a top 10 seed in the Big XII tournament.

SoonerTraveler 03-13-2019 10:56 PM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eielson (Post 625649)
We almost beat a top 10 seed in the Big XII tournament.

Ha! I laughed out loud.

WTSooner 03-14-2019 06:08 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboysooner (Post 625388)
Historically, Lon's teams have over performed in the NCAA.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I didn't have time to go back over Lon's entire coaching career, but it's certainly not true of his time at OU and UNLV.

And Lon didn't develop the switching defense. It's actually fairly common now days. And we play more zone anyways, b/c we have to hide some of our guys.

cjhsooner 03-14-2019 06:35 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Any team that loses to WVU twice this season is not "that" team. This OU team should not even get in. They will get their butts kicked by a crappy team, and Kruger will get his raise again. I beg the Committee to leave OU out. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

BoulderSooner 03-14-2019 06:45 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhsooner (Post 625673)
Any team that loses to WVU twice this season is not "that" team. This OU team should not even get in. They will get their butts kicked by a crappy team, and Kruger will get his raise again. I beg the Committee to leave OU out. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

based on all objective criteria that the committe uses OU is in ...


and how would OU missing the dance give OU any long term gain

BCSooners 03-14-2019 07:01 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhsooner (Post 625673)
Any team that loses to WVU twice this season is not "that" team. This OU team should not even get in. They will get their butts kicked by a crappy team, and Kruger will get his raise again. I beg the Committee to leave OU out. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

Dumb

WTSooner 03-14-2019 07:31 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoulderSooner (Post 625676)


and how would OU missing the dance give OU any long term gain

I don't think it would push Joe C. to do anything, but IF we missed, I would hope that would help force change. New assistants. Moving on from Lon. Something. But like I said, I really don't think that would be the result. And we are in. The KU win and an extremely weak field ensured that.

thebigabd 03-14-2019 07:36 AM

Re: Is OU one of "those" teams this year?
 
I see the logic, but would rather see the team play in the NCAA Tournament...

It's a weird comparison, but Georgia Tech football kind of had a similar ordeal with their football coach. Paul Johnson, the guy running triple option, was winning JUST ENOUGH every year to make a bowl game.. but they were kind of stuck.

But can you fire him? He has been national coach of the year like 3 times at Georgia Tech... Went to an Orange Bowl in 2014, and won it. A clear cut hall of famer.. but between really good seasons would win 6-7 games.

At the end of the day, he quit, but the pressure on him was growing. A large portion of their fans, in a weird way, wanted the team to have a 2-3 win season back to back or something to force the change... because as long as you are average, making a bowl (or in our case making the NCAA Tournament), it is hard to fire someone and force the change.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com