View Full Version : Lebron to Cleveland

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Let the dominoes start falling.

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Things that probably happen next:
- Bosh to Houston.
- Lin to ????? (Philly) to clear space for Bosh.
- Ray Allen and/or Mike Miller to Cleveland.
- Possibly Love to Cleveland.
- No idea on Wade. Probably back to Miami b/c they will likely pay him the best.

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Irving
Waiters/Wiggins
Lebron
Thompson
Varejao

That alone isn't bad. I still think they have a great shot at landing Love, and several key free agents such as Allen, Miller, Birdman, etc.

bocabull
07-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Lebron did not mention Wiggins or Bennett n the SI letter. Mentioned everybody else. So who knows if they are going to deal those guys for a veteran like Love.

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Houston is going to be stacked too.

Beverley
Harden
Parsons (rumor is they will match Dallas offer sheet)
Bosh
Howard

steverocks35
07-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Pau Gasol to OKC? (Fingers crossed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Better chance of him joining Melo back in NY, I think.

That is the rumor, with them going after the other Gasol the following year.

bocabull
07-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Wonder if Chicago wants Wade if they don't get Melo ... or do they already have enough balky knees?

As for Melo staying in NY ... what could he be waiting for?

SoonerBounce13
07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Houston is going to be stacked too.

Beverley
Harden
Parsons (rumor is they will match Dallas offer sheet)
Bosh
Howard
still no defense. Still not worried about them. still no depth

Sadly I think it is a pipe dream. Gasol isn't going to take that big of a cut and I don't know if they could work out a sign and trade

bocabull
07-11-2014, 12:07 PM
If Melo objectively weighs all the pluses & minuses he's going to choose the Lakers. We'll see if he has a level head or let's his emotions cloud his judgment.

He's being given an opportunity only rare superstars in the history of the game have been offered.

NickZepp
07-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Lakers may be getting Lin from Houston.

OKC will have to trade/amnesty Perkins to have the money for Gasol. Not sure if they want to do that from everything I've read.

coolm
07-11-2014, 12:38 PM
OKC would hump a dead cat to get Gasol. Presti and Brooks both think he's their answer. He's not gonna come because he thinks of himself as a big city boy and sees OKC as a small own.

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 01:12 PM
OKC would hump a dead cat to get Gasol. Presti and Brooks both think he's their answer. He's not gonna come because he thinks of himself as a big city boy and sees OKC as a small own.

That and money.

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 01:12 PM
If Melo objectively weighs all the pluses & minuses he's going to choose the Lakers. We'll see if he has a level head or let's his emotions cloud his judgment.

He's being given an opportunity only rare superstars in the history of the game have been offered.

It appears to be down to NY and Chicago for Melo. LA is said to be out.

Still think he ends up back in NY.

And I don't think Chicago wants any part of Wade.

bocabull
07-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Lakers just traded cash & rights to some overseas player to the Rockets for Jeremy Lin & the Rockets 2015 1st round pick. They must be out of the running for Melo as was reported.

Looks like the plan is to take on expiring contracts coupled with draft picks or young players. How much will the Thunder give up with Perkins for a sign & trade with Gasol? Or the Knicks with Stoudemire?

jmizzy4ou
07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Lakers just traded cash & rights to some overseas player to the Rockets for Jeremy Lin & the Rockets 2015 1st round pick. They must be out of the running for Melo as was reported.

Looks like the plan is to take on expiring contracts coupled with draft picks or young players. How much will the Thunder give up with Perkins for a sign & trade with Gasol? Or the Knicks with Stoudemire?

Yep, I think LA has set their sights on the next crop of superstar free agents. Oh how I wish Dr. Buss was still around. I have no confidence in Baby Buss......

I get the feeling guys like Melo are saying all of the right things in public, but behind closed doors they are saying, no way they want to deal with Kobe in his twilight tour. D. Howard actually had the sack to say he made his decision to leave LA, and Kobe was a big part of the reason. Disclaimer: Howard is still an overrated loser, IMO.....

NickZepp
07-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Thunder may have to give up Reggie with Perk to get Gasol. Which would be a pretty good fit for LA who just need a lot of pieces right now.

NickZepp
07-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Yep, I think LA has set their sights on the next crop of superstar free agents. Oh how I wish Dr. Buss was still around. I have no confidence in Baby Buss......

I get the feeling guys like Melo are saying all of the right things in public, but behind closed doors they are saying, no way they want to deal with Kobe in his twilight tour. D. Howard actually had the sack to say he made his decision to leave LA, and Kobe was a big part of the reason. Disclaimer: Howard is still an overrated loser, IMO.....

LA would have been better off building around Howard than sticking with the Kobe twilight tour. LA just needs to start getting more assets for the future like Boston has with Ainge.

bocabull
07-11-2014, 03:50 PM
LA would have been better off building around Howard than sticking with the Kobe twilight tour. LA just needs to start getting more assets for the future like Boston has with Ainge.

We'll see. We all thought the Spurs were done 3 years ago. Howard is not good enough to build around. Melo hasn't proven to be either. Kobe 100% has.

The Lakers need Randle to develop into a force on the blocks and to have a couple young athletic guys like Xavier Henry blossom. Have Kobe flourish in his later years like Duncan and Dirk are. Then they are 1 piece away from being right in the hunt.

The Rockets have assembled a lot of all star caliber players but I don't see a closer. Didn't the Blazers just run them off the court? Does Chris Bosh jacking 3s change that? I like the Pelicans as the team on the rise.

thebigabd
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
We'll see. We all thought the Spurs were done 3 years ago. Howard is not good enough to build around. Melo hasn't proven to be either. Kobe 100% has.

The Lakers need Randle to develop into a force on the blocks and to have a couple young athletic guys like Xavier Henry blossom. Have Kobe flourish in his later years like Duncan and Dirk are. Then they are 1 piece away from being right in the hunt.

The Rockets have assembled a lot of all star caliber players but I don't see a closer. Didn't the Blazers just run them off the court? Does Chris Bosh jacking 3s change that? I like the Pelicans as the team on the rise.

Somehow the Dallas Mavericks are getting lost in translation this year. Dirk is still playing high level basketball, and they picked up some pieces.

PG: Raymond Felton
SG: Monta Ellis
SF: Vince Carter
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Tyson Chandler

Veterans.... defense... scoring... rebounding... shooting.

bocabull
07-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Bosh said no to Houston. Staying in Miami for the max.

Watch Carmelo go to Miami now! Or Houston.

Agreed ABD the Mavs are solid. But losing Calderon will set them back unless they can add a better piece.

SoonerBounce13
07-11-2014, 04:10 PM

yuck

WTSooner
07-11-2014, 05:30 PM
That is crazy about Bosh staying in Miami. Outside of the money, I don't see that as his best move, UNLESS they can replace Lebron with Melo. That would be ridiculous.

bocabull
07-11-2014, 07:38 PM
That is crazy about Bosh staying in Miami. Outside of the money, I don't see that as his best move, UNLESS they can replace Lebron with Melo. That would be ridiculous.

You know Riley is turning on the charm full speed ahead. How about Gasol & Deng to go along with Bosh & Wade? They got lots of options.

SoonerBounce13
07-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Somehow the Dallas Mavericks are getting lost in translation this year. Dirk is still playing high level basketball, and they picked up some pieces.

Carter to memohis

WTSooner
07-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Melo staying in NY. Bad decision, IMO.

Smash Williams
07-14-2014, 10:18 AM

I get the feeling guys like Melo are saying all of the right things in public, but behind closed doors they are saying, no way they want to deal with Kobe in his twilight tour. D. Howard actually had the sack to say he made his decision to leave LA, and Kobe was a big part of the reason. Disclaimer: Howard is still an overrated loser, IMO.....I agree. Kobe's personality--part of what made him so great in the first place--is now a liability for the Laker organization.

Say what you will about Dwight Howard--he's immature, flaky, and not a leader. But he's really damn good, enough that you work around that by getting the right leadership in place. He and Kobe were a bad mix, but that's where the Lakers needed Phil: a leader who connects with players and excels at managing strong personalities. That's always been one of D'Antoni's biggest flaws.

If Phil were still around, I think Dwight is still in LA, Kobe takes slightly less so that they still have room for another max player, and they improve their chances of landing another star, due to LAL being a more attractive situation from a competitive standpoint.

Smash Williams
07-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Veterans.... defense... scoring... rebounding... shooting.Carter aside (a solid--but not elite--defender, now in Memphis), where are you seeing the defense?

The only plus defender is Chandler, but you thought he was trash two years ago, and he's regressed significantly since that time.

Smash Williams
07-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Melo staying in NY. Bad decision, IMO.

Winning championships is only one part of the equation for these guys. Money and family are very important, too. Happy wife, happy life.

Both of those guys stayed in places they and their families know well. That stability clearly mattered to them.

jmizzy4ou
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
I agree. Kobe's personality--part of what made him so great in the first place--is now a liability for the Laker organization.

Say what you will about Dwight Howard--he's immature, flaky, and not a leader. But he's really damn good, enough that you work around that by getting the right leadership in place. He and Kobe were a bad mix, but that's where the Lakers needed Phil: a leader who connects with players and excels at managing strong personalities. That's always been one of D'Antoni's biggest flaws.

If Phil were still around, I think Dwight is still in LA, Kobe takes slightly less so that they still have room for another max player, and they improve their chances of landing another star, due to LAL being a more attractive situation from a competitive standpoint.

Well said.....

playmakr
07-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Wait, you're not suggesting D'antoni over Phil was a bad decision? Boca would have us believe that is nonsense.

bocabull
07-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Wait, you're not suggesting D'antoni over Phil was a bad decision? Boca would have us believe that is nonsense.

Phil is not and never was interested in coaching again. He's just looking to cash a big check. Dr Buss knew this. The Lakers never caved to his extortion attempts. The Knicks? That's how they roll.

Dwight was never staying in LA. No way he was going to expose himself to Shaq's constant criticism.

playmakr
07-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Phil is not and never was interested in coaching again
He wanted to come back to the Lakers to coach and make one more run with Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, and your spotter at the gym. They chose little Mikey D, who has now run his 2nd organization into the ground.

Dr Buss knew this.

You've got the wrong Buss. Which is the problem. If Dr Buss (RIP) was still in charge during all of this, this fiasco wouldn't be happening in LA. It's almost as big a fiasco as Morey had this off season lol.

bocabull
07-15-2014, 09:10 PM
He wanted to come back to the Lakers to coach and make one more run with Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, and your spotter at the gym. They chose little Mikey D, who has now run his 2nd organization into the ground.

You've got the wrong Buss. Which is the problem. If Dr Buss (RIP) was still in charge during all of this, this fiasco wouldn't be happening in LA. It's almost as big a fiasco as Morey had this off season lol.

Dr. buss was still in charge. He made the call to select D'Antoni over Jackson. He made this decision because 1) he thought D'Antoni fit the personnel (Nash/Howard pick n roll) better and 2) he didn't think Jackson was really committed to it. This has all been reported and confirmed by everybody in the organization.

playmakr
07-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Dr. buss was still in charge. He made the call to select D'Antoni over Jackson. He made this decision because 1) he thought D'Antoni fit the personnel (Nash/Howard pick n roll) better and 2) he didn't think Jackson was really committed to it. This has all been reported and confirmed by everybody in the organization.
Wrong. Every word of it wrong.

Dr. buss was still in charge.
Wrong.

Aside from Jim's (or anyone else's) effort to throw Jerry under the bus, it was Jim's decision, he was running the team and he was the one who also hired Brown. Nobody but a select few believe Jerry over rid Jim. Nobody but a select few believe Jerry would make that horrific of a decision. Magic Johnson certainly doesn't believe it. Jeanie Buss doesn't believe it. I mean c'mon man, Dr. Buss first tells Jim/Mitch to hire Mike Brown and then decides a couple weeks into the season, to bring back Showtime with D'antoni? After they rushed in hiring Brown to try to win another championship to tie Boston while Jerry was still alive? You're smarter than that. Doesn't jive.

The real truth is what cost them Phil (who after coaching could have stepped into operations) is Jim's insecurity. His dad didn't over rule him because he had been letting (by then he was close to being on his death bed) Jim run the team, and didn't want him second guessing. The worst decision the late Dr. Buss made was allowing Jim to run the team. Hard to fault him for that, blood is blood. This can all be confirmed with anyone who knows they are talking about, which doesn't include the lying Jim Buss.

Jim Buss is an insecure dweeb, running of the greatest sports franchises in the world into the ground. His ego made him make the worst hiring decision in modern sports history. And then to throw his dead father under the bus a year later, is despicable.

Plashke wrote about it a few months ago:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-phil-jackson-plaschke-20140312-column.html

Jeanie Buss in memoir blaming Jim: (also questioning the Jerry decided meme)

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/22/sports/la-sp-lakers-jeanie-buss-20130922/2

NickZepp
07-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Too add to mkr, D'Antoni was a bad fit for the Lakers from the start. It was a baffling hire.

jmizzy4ou
07-16-2014, 03:06 AM
Wrong. Every word of it wrong.

Wrong.

Aside from Jim's (or anyone else's) effort to throw Jerry under the bus, it was Jim's decision, he was running the team and he was the one who also hired Brown. Nobody but a select few believe Jerry over rid Jim. Nobody but a select few believe Jerry would make that horrific of a decision. Magic Johnson certainly doesn't believe it. Jeanie Buss doesn't believe it. I mean c'mon man, Dr. Buss first tells Jim/Mitch to hire Mike Brown and then decides a couple weeks into the season, to bring back Showtime with D'antoni? After they rushed in hiring Brown to try to win another championship to tie Boston while Jerry was still alive? You're smarter than that. Doesn't jive.

The real truth is what cost them Phil (who after coaching could have stepped into operations) is Jim's insecurity. His dad didn't over rule him because he had been letting (by then he was close to being on his death bed) Jim run the team, and didn't want him second guessing. The worst decision the late Dr. Buss made was allowing Jim to run the team. Hard to fault him for that, blood is blood. This can all be confirmed with anyone who knows they are talking about, which doesn't include the lying Jim Buss.

Jim Buss is an insecure dweeb, running of the greatest sports franchises in the world into the ground. His ego made him make the worst hiring decision in modern sports history. And then to throw his dead father under the bus a year later, is despicable.

Plashke wrote about it a few months ago:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-phil-jackson-plaschke-20140312-column.html

Jeanie Buss in memoir blaming Jim: (also questioning the Jerry decided meme)

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/22/sports/la-sp-lakers-jeanie-buss-20130922/2

Play is right Boca. It was well documented that Dr. Buss was sick, and Jim was making all critical decisions, even though Dr. Buss' name was still attached. In fact, most within the Laker organization wanted Jeannie Buss to take over the day to day operations because she had more experience than Jim, and had worked the closest with Dr. Buss out of all of his kids. Jim used 1st son status to get into the position he is currently in, and as Play said, he's quickly dismantling the Lakers......

It was also reported Jim didn't want to bring Phil Jackson back because he thought Phil would get all of the credit if LA won another title, and Jim is reported to be a very egotistical person, who worries excessively about the public's opinion of him.

Smash Williams
07-16-2014, 08:52 AM
It's easy to dogpile on D'Antoni, but he's had a major influence on today's NBA offenses. He's probably smarter than he gets credit for.

But relationships matter, and that was never Mike's thing. It was pretty clear from the outset that he wasn't the guy to manage those superstar egos in LA. In New York, Melo deserved plenty of blame for D'Antoni not working out, but it's a knock on D'Antoni that he wasn't able to earn Melo's trust and respect. He never had a chance of being able to manage Dwight or Kobe, let alone the clashing egos of both. On top of that, he alienated Pau, who's always seemed pretty agreeable for a player of his stature.

Melo received most of the blame for not buying into D'Antoni and his system, but Kobe, Dwight, and Pau all became disgruntled with him and it (Kobe and Pau understandably so; Dwight, a great pick-and-roll big, took what he considered to be his underutilized post game to Houston, where they run more spread pick-and-roll than anyone else). D'Antoni's personality and system fit a then-38-year-old PG and no one else. Dwight was a great fit for the system, but D'Antoni deserves fault for not being able to help him understand that.

Smash Williams
07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Dwight was never staying in LA. No way he was going to expose himself to Shaq's constant criticism.He was never going to escape exposure to Shaq's constant criticism.

Even in Houston, Dwight sees Shaq on TV every week making asinine statements about him.

"Dwight needs to post up more. It's his fault and no one else's for not getting the ball in the post more, even though I would constantly whine to the media in my playing days about my teammates not getting me the ball. I need to see Dwight get...uh...43 points, 25 rebounds, and 5 blocks tonight."

Dwight, like every other person on the planet, would be much better off if he completely ignored Shaq.

Sooner04
07-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Unabashed supporter of D'Antoni here. Love what he's done in moving the NBA out of the hand check stone ages. And I have no problem saying he was a bad fit with the egos of Los Angeles.

But you can't say he was the reason the Knicks were run into the ground. That's Carmelo. And that's ONLY Carmelo. Take a peak back at how they were playing before the signed that ball stopper.

Dwight, like every other person on the planet, would be much better off if he completely ignored Shaq.
If we're talking bad hires here, how about TNT festooning Shaq upon the "Inside the NBA" talent. Who are the ad wizards.......

thebigabd
07-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Unabashed supporter of D'Antoni here. Love what he's done in moving the NBA out of the hand check stone ages. And I have no problem saying he was a bad fit with the egos of Los Angeles.

But you can't say he was the reason the Knicks were run into the ground. That's Carmelo. And that's ONLY Carmelo. Take a peak back at how they were playing before the signed that ball stopper.

If we're talking bad hires here, how about TNT festooning Shaq upon the "Inside the NBA" talent. Who are the ad wizards.......

Melo will run your franchise into the ground.

Denver got the better end of that deal. Now, they had all their key players hurt last year but you can't control that. They still won more games than the Knicks.

Smash Williams
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM

You can't assign 100% of the blame to Melo. That's just too extreme, especially if you're willing to acknowledge that D'Antoni doesn't manage egos well.

The season he was fired, the Knicks were 18-24 with D'Antoni; they finished 18-6 with Woodson. To be fair, part of D'Antoni's record can be attributed to injuries (including Melo missing around 10 games around the time of Linsanity), but that entire team started playing their tails off the moment D'Antoni was fired. It wasn't just Melo; D'Antoni didn't connect with the team as a whole.

Coincidentally, I sat several rows from the baseline in MSG two nights after D'Antoni was fired. I was bummed to hear the news the day I arrived in NYC (after already having bought tickets to the game), because I wanted to experience Linsanity, not Woodson's notorious iso ball, and I wasn't a fan of Melo's game. The pregame crowd mojo was bad that night in MSG. Melo got plenty of boos in pregame intros, and seemingly every other Melo jersey in the stands had a "1" taped next to the "7" in spite of no shortage of Lin paraphernalia available for purchse.

I was stunned by the Knicks' energy that night. That was one of the most dominant defensive performances I'd ever seen in person. I legitimately felt sorry for the Pacers. I wasn't the least bit surprised by the way they finished that regular season (or by the way they got demolished by Miami in the first round). They played like a team who was glad to finally being playing for a different coach.

As for the Knicks' record before and after trading for Melo in 2010-11, part of it was related to the Knicks giving up a lot of talent, but there was far more to the drop than that. When you trade four rotation players (including three starters in Gallinari, Chandler, and Wilson) in the middle of the season, there's going to be an adjustment period. D'Antoni also ran Amare into the ground that season despite being as cognizant as anyone of his fragility. Amare peaked in December while playing almost 40 minutes a night.

I've never been a big Melo fan. I thought he was overrated for the bulk of his career. I definitely remembering arguing as much with Boca on here a couple years ago (I think it was when people were comparing the 1992 Dream Team to the 2012 team). But he's a really talented player, and D'Antoni clearly didn't know how to connect with him or how to use him, much the same way that Kobe--another post-heavy wing who plays a somewhat similar game--grew disenchanted with the way D'Antoni used him.

playmakr
07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
I may be too harsh on D'antoni, but remember this hiring decision is within the context of hiring possibly the greatest coach in sports history, and then having him run your front office after that.

Smash Williams
07-16-2014, 01:42 PM
I may be too harsh on D'antoni, but remember this hiring decision is within the context of hiring possibly the greatest coach in sports history, and then having him run your front office after that.
I wouldn't say you're being too harsh. D'Antoni can win games with a certain type of roster, but the Lakers were a horrible fit from the start, both in terms of playing style and personalities.

bocabull
07-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Phil Jackson, Jeanie Buss, Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak & even Dr Buss all say he made the decision.

It's been reported 1,000 times.

Dr. Jerry Buss on Mike D'Antoni Hiring: ‘This is who I want. D’Antoni’s the man.’
http://www.lakersnation.com/dr-jerry-buss-on-mike-dantoni-hiring-this-is-who-i-want/2013/09/11/

Dr. Jerry Buss told Jeanie that hiring Mike D’Antoni was his decision
http://lakerholicz.com/dr-jerry-buss-told-jeanie-that-hiring-mike-dantoni-was-his-decision/2013/07/07

Phil Jackson says the late Jerry Buss made decision to hire D'Antoni
http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/04/sports/la-sp-ln-phil-jackson-coaching-decision-jerry-buss-20140304

bocabull
07-17-2014, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't say you're being too harsh. D'Antoni can win games with a certain type of roster, but the Lakers were a horrible fit from the start, both in terms of playing style and personalities.

Come on Smash. The Lakers finished the season 28-12 which was a .700 winning clip putting them right with the Heat, Thunder and Spurs. That's after no training camp, Nash breaking his leg and a host of other players sustaining injuries, Howard not 100% from his back surgery and not buying into the system. They were becoming dangerous when Kobe tore his achilles.

As for this past season Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson & Pat Riley could have been co coaches and the Lakers would have had the same record. lol

playmakr
07-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Boca you have your articles and quotes, and the rest of us have ours. Notice when you say even Dr. Buss said so, the source on that is Jim Buss, a lying egotistical dweeb.

I'm sure everyone else, like me, admires your loyalty to your beloved Lakers, uncle Mike, and your man crush Steve Nash. We understand it clouds your judgement when you discuss the Lakers. You want to believe your Lakers are going to get back to prominence, and want to believe Jim Buss knows what he's doing so you are more likely to buy lines from him and his cohorts. No big deal. I'm biased about the Bulls, so I would naturally lean toward Phil.

jmizzy4ou
07-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Boca you have your articles and quotes, and the rest of us have ours. Notice when you say even Dr. Buss said so, the source on that is Jim Buss, a lying egotistical dweeb.

I'm sure everyone else, like me, admires your loyalty to your beloved Lakers, uncle Mike, and your man crush Steve Nash. We understand it clouds your judgement when you discuss the Lakers. You want to believe your Lakers are going to get back to prominence, and want to believe Jim Buss knows what he's doing so you are more likely to buy lines from him and his cohorts. No big deal. I'm biased about the Bulls, so I would naturally lean toward Phil.

Wait Play, I'm the Laker homer around here. Boca is a Suns fan. Dontcha know????;);):D

bocabull
07-17-2014, 05:49 PM

I have quotes directly from every person involved in the process. You have opinion pieces and gossip.

Steve Nash being on the team likely influenced Dr. Buss' decision as did Phil needing to "think it over" instead of saying YES immediately. Phil was angling for more money which he finally got from the Knicks.

Every single person involved has been willing to go on the record that is was Jerry Buss who made the call. He called it the hammer. And he used his hammer.

As for the Lakers of course they are going back to prominence. It's just a matter of time and will happen sooner rather than later. lol @ the Bulls being exceed about landing Gasol. They only did because the Lakers would not give him a no trade clause in their contract offer. He has been nothing but trade bait for 3 years.

playmakr
07-17-2014, 06:58 PM
I have quotes directly from every person involved in the process. You have opinion pieces and gossip.

Steve Nash being on the team likely influenced Dr. Buss' decision as did Phil needing to "think it over" instead of saying YES immediately. Phil was angling for more money which he finally got from the Knicks.

Every single person involved has been willing to go on the record that is was Jerry Buss who made the call. He called it the hammer. And he used his hammer.

As for the Lakers of course they are going back to prominence. It's just a matter of time and will happen sooner rather than later. lol @ the Bulls being exceed about landing Gasol. They only did because the Lakers would not give him a no trade clause in their contract offer. He has been nothing but trade bait for 3 years.
I can offer any quotes you would like from Jeanie Buss, Magic, etc. Your quotes are from Jim Buss (a known liar) and a bitter Phil Jackson.

Wait Play, I'm the Laker homer around here. Boca is a Suns fan. Dontcha know????
Boca is 100% a Lakers fan. He was only temporarily a Suns fan because he saw Steve Nash at Piggly Wiggly one time and Steve gave a vague nod in his direction.

lol @ the Bulls being exceed about landing Gasol.
The main reason we are exceed {sic} is Gasol can mentor the best player in Europe who is coming over.

Rose/Hinrich
Dunleavy/Doug McDermott, Tony Snell
Butler/Mirotic
Gasol/Gibson
Noah

That roster works for me.

bocabull
07-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Jeanie Buss is on the record that Dr Jerry Buss told her it was his decision. Your link even said she was told her dad was in on the decision and her feelings were hurt she wasn't consulted.

Mirotic is a good addition. Gasol will be a disappointment. Funny the Lakers refused to sign & trade for Boozer, then picked him up for $3.2 million. Bulls paying $13.6 for Boozer and all of Gasol. Boozer is 2 years younger & is a better rebounder which is what the Lakers are assembling in the front court.

Lakers are dependent on Kobe's health. But if he's as good as people are saying he looks the show is going to be better than people expect. They are 1 small forward away from a solid 2 deep that Kobe might be able to put on his back and make a run at league MVP.

Lin/Nash
Kobe/Xavier Henry
????/Nick Young
Boozer/Julius Randle
Jordan Hill/Ed Davis

jmizzy4ou
07-17-2014, 10:41 PM
Boca is 100% a Lakers fan. He was only temporarily a Suns fan because he saw Steve Nash at Piggy Wiggly one time and Steve gave a vague nod in his direction.

Can't agree with you on that one Play. You must have forgotten Boca's rant about Kobe being an average swingman a few years ago. LOL..... I think Boca came to respect Kobe and LA, after Kobe proved to the world he could win it all minus Shaq. Maybe Boca could chime in, but during the Laker run he was not one of the Laker fans on this board. I remember One More Rebound, Ada, Myself, Romulus, and a couple others fighting with Soopa and the other C's fans.

Boca actually was pretty critical of Kobe and predicted LA would never win with him as their leader.

jmizzy4ou
07-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Jeanie Buss is on the record that Dr Jerry Buss told her it was his decision. Your link even said she was told her dad was in on the decision and her feelings were hurt she wasn't consulted.

Mirotic is a good addition. Gasol will be a disappointment. Funny the Lakers refused to sign & trade for Boozer, then picked him up for $3.2 million. Bulls paying $13.6 for Boozer and all of Gasol. Boozer is 2 years younger & is a better rebounder which is what the Lakers are assembling in the front court.

Lakers are dependent on Kobe's health. But if he's as good as people are saying he looks the show is going to be better than people expect. They are 1 small forward away from a solid 2 deep that Kobe might be able to put on his back and make a run at league MVP.

Lin/Nash
Kobe/Xavier Henry
????/Nick Young
Boozer/Julius Randle
Jordan Hill/Ed Davis

I agree everyone is counting LA out too soon. The young guard Clarkson might get some back court run as well. I saw Nick Young on an interview earlier today, and he told a story about Kobe calling him as soon as he signed his new contract. He said Kobe told him to get in the gym now because every is counting them out, and that really bothers KB. They won't be the most talented group, but if things hold together they could make a run at a playoff spot, IMO.......

playmakr
07-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Boca is 100% a Lakers fan. He was only temporarily a Suns fan because he saw Steve Nash at Piggy Wiggly one time and Steve gave a vague nod in his direction.

Can't agree with you on that one Play. You must have forgotten Boca's rant about Kobe being an average swingman a few years ago. LOL..... I think Boca came to respect Kobe and LA, after Kobe proved to the world he could win it all minus Shaq. Maybe Boca could chime in, but during the Laker run he was not one of the Laker fans on this board. I remember One More Rebound, Ada, Myself, Romulus, and a couple others fighting with Soopa and the other C's fans.

Boca actually was pretty critical of Kobe and predicted LA would never win with him as their leader.
Yea but that was before he moved to LA. And I don't forget, I know he used to trash Kobe. That's what happens when you talk out both sides, you lose credibility.

And Boca, Jeanie doesn't buy it. She still barely speaks to little Jimmy.

SoonerBounce13
07-18-2014, 08:02 AM
If gasol stays healthy and rose is rose, bulls will win the east imo.

sperry
07-18-2014, 09:27 AM
Cavs win the East, regardless of Rose's health.

thebigabd
07-18-2014, 10:00 AM
If McDermott is legit the Bulls will be VERY good.

bocabull
07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree everyone is counting LA out too soon. The young guard Clarkson might get some back court run as well. I saw Nick Young on an interview earlier today, and he told a story about Kobe calling him as soon as he signed his new contract. He said Kobe told him to get in the gym now because every is counting them out, and that really bothers KB. They won't be the most talented group, but if things hold together they could make a run at a playoff spot, IMO.......

Compare Boozer, Xavier Henry, Ed Davis & Jordan Hill to Boris Diaw, Patty Mills & Danny Green when the Spurs picked them up. Virtually identical profiles. Davis, Hill & Boozer all have significantly higher advanced rebounding stats over Gasol.

We need Julius Randle to be our Kawhi Leonard. Nick Young is better than Marco Belinelli.

Jeremy Lin was +31 in the 2 games he started vs Parker last year. This is not Smush Parker.

Gotta find a piece at SF. Wes Johnson doesn't cut it. Not excited about Evan Turner but he's an option. Beasley has the metrics you want in shooting the 3 and rebounding but he falls asleep on the court.

bocabull
07-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Yea but that was before he moved to LA. And I don't forget, I know he used to trash Kobe. That's what happens when you talk out both sides, you lose credibility.

And Boca, Jeanie doesn't buy it. She still barely speaks to little Jimmy.

Trash Kobe? My position is that you're not an all-time great, you're not elite unless you win NBA Finals MVP. Regular season MVP is a lifetime achievement award. Finals MVP means you're the best. I gave Shaq credit for the 3 early titles. The second Kobe got it done you have never heard me question his elite status again.

For fun here's some quotes from your Jeanie Buss (the jilted daughter) article:

My brother didn't text me that Sunday to ask me what Phil was thinking.

I was stunned. I said to Phil, "They came to you. You were not looking for the job. I cannot believe this."

Two days after Phil got that phone call, I was at the gym when I started crying so hysterically that they sent me home. (Gee I wonder why Dr. Buss didn't involve her in the decision? lol)

My sister, Janie, knew the whole situation was tearing me apart, but I don't think anybody else in my family understood how much it had hurt me. It physically hurt me.

The sequence of events — Phil almost coming back and then being told someone else was better for the job — practically destroyed me. It almost took away my passion for this job and this game. It felt like I had been stabbed in the back. It was a betrayal. I was devastated.

You get the picture. lol She is on the record her dad told her it was his decision.

playmakr
07-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Trash Kobe?
Yea. I'll let jmizzy and you Laker fans sort out your level of Laker loyalty. That's the problem when your favorite team changes so often, things tend to come back to bite you.

And your quotes are a joke. Nothing there but being upset at little dweeb Jimmy.

"Gee I wonder why Dr. Buss didn't involve her in the decision."

If "they" had, the Lakers would be in a much better position, so this is a strange position for you to take.

bocabull
07-18-2014, 03:59 PM
I root for the home team. That means when I lived in Boca I followed the Heat & Dolphins. Dallas it was the Mavs & Cowboys, Scottsdale it was the Suns & Cardinals, now it's the Lakers & Dodgers with the Clippers & Angels to a lesser extent.

What moving around gives you is perspective. That's why I'm not a total homer like Thunder fans.

playmakr
07-18-2014, 06:48 PM
I root for the home team. That means when I lived in Boca I followed the Heat & Dolphins. Dallas it was the Mavs & Cowboys, Scottsdale it was the Suns & Cardinals, now it's the Lakers & Dodgers with the Clippers & Angels to a lesser extent.

What moving around gives you is perspective. That's why I'm not a total homer like Thunder fans.
Fair enough. I can't ever see myself not being a Bulls, Cubs, Bears, and Blackhawks fan regardless of where I live. In fact I may be off to Phoenix in the coming years, I don't think I would become a Suns fan over the Bulls. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I will say I do like to see the Thunder do well when they aren't playing the Bulls (luckily they are in a different conference) and I'm sure I would attend some Suns games. I like how Hornacek has them playing.

bocabull
07-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Phoenix Scottsdale is hard to beat. Out of everywhere I have been the lifestyle there ranks #1 for an okie white hick like me. I'm in LA for business and education for my two youngest kids.

But if it was just me? I would be parked in scottsdale ignoring the rest of the world with a gin in 1 hand & a golf club in the other.

playmakr
07-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Phoenix Scottsdale is hard to beat. Out of everywhere I have been the lifestyle there ranks #1 for an okie white hick like me. I'm in LA for business and education for my two youngest kids.

But if it was just me? I would be parked in scottsdale ignoring the rest of the world with a gin in 1 hand & a golf club in the other.
My wife seems to have her eye on Fountain Hills, but it seems like maybe there is more of an older population there?

It's still a couple years off but it looks like it be will down to Phoenix, Chicago, or Charlotte. Or I could stay in OKC.

As for the Lakers they should be improved I still want to see who their coach will be. I like Randle a lot. It's all on Kobe's health. With what the Bulls are trying to do offensively going forward Gasol is a better fit than Boozer, but it will still be very interesting to see who gets the late run. Remember, Boozer didn't hardly play in 4th quarters, it was Gibson and Noah. I'm not sure how Thibs will play it.

If Rose is healthy and explosive there isn't any reason the Bulls can't win the East. All bets are off if Love is off to Cleveland.

ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
07-19-2014, 10:48 AM

Right there with you. I'd make every spring training game then play golf and sit by the pool the rest of the year. My wife thinks its too far from the grand kids

bocabull
07-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Fountain Hills is a little off the beating path but the views are gorgeous. Its on the east side of the McDowell Mountains facing east & south away from the sun.

http://www.fountainhillsvacation.com/fountain_hills_arizona_golf.htm

I played golf & biked out there quite often. You really can't go wrong anywhere in the northeast valley. It's night & day better than Boca. Hoped Palm Springs would replace Scottsdale for my desert fix but it's not nearly as lively. PGA West is better than TPC Scottsdale though.

bocabull
07-19-2014, 07:53 PM

Not sure what the holdup is on the Lakers naming a head coach ... but with Gasol gone, the the addition of Lin, the club bringing back most players from last season ... the smart move would be to convince D'Antoni to rescind his resignation and coach 1 more year.

They club was playing pretty good until the injuries piled up. Give him a chance at redemption and probably give the club the best chance at a good season.

Smash Williams
07-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Come on Smash. The Lakers finished the season 28-12 which was a .700 winning clip putting them right with the Heat, Thunder and Spurs. That's after no training camp, Nash breaking his leg and a host of other players sustaining injuries, Howard not 100% from his back surgery and not buying into the system. They were becoming dangerous when Kobe tore his achilles.

As for this past season Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson & Pat Riley could have been co coaches and the Lakers would have had the same record. lol
During that 40-game stretch, the Lakers had a net rating of +2.2, which was only good for 11th overall (and 8th in the Western Conference) during that time (link (http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamGeneral.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=30&Season=2012-13&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&filters=&DateFrom=01%2F25%2F2013&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&sortField=NET_RATING&sortOrder=DES)). Winning games at a .700 clip with that small of a point differential is unsustainable. In other words, that 28-12 record was a fluke, and it certainly wasn't enough to consider the Lakers to be a legitimate contender.

In their first 42 games, the Lakers had a net differential of +1.7 but only went 17-25, which doesn't match up either. They essentially just regressed to the mean in the second half of the season, ending up with a record representative of their point differential.